Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Buying 1/5 for under $700?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buying 1/5 for under $700?

ORIGINAL: iexion

Stay the FAR away from that hobbyking big monster truck. THOSE ARE GARBAGE
The only good thing about those trucks are the engines, and those put out decent power. Youll have to do a ton of work before you even thinking about pulling the cord.
Somewhere in the Giant Scale Cars section there is a trend on that very truck and I went thru a good amount of the issues I had with it such as:

1. An AMAZING amount of stripped screw while trying to tare the truck down
2. Having to tare down 90% of the truck just to correct the belt situation (installed incorrectly from the factory)
3. Having to cut a HUGE hole in the front diff box so the belt would stop rubbing it (SO THE WHEELS COULD MOVE)
4. Horrifically bad steering servos
5. One of the tires was made so badly, you could touch the side wall and it would rip apart

Simply put, it may be cheap, but its one of the worst purchases you'll make. Then have fun trying to resale it [:@]
what? this is a smartech almost the same as the thunderbolt (which I bought from hobbyking) these are shaft driven. these are pretty good trucks, nothing on mine was stripped, and I have almost a gallon in it so far with no heartaches, plenty of endo's and WOT runs with no problems.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

I think iexion was referring to the FG Monster clone, not the Smartech one...

ORIGINAL: The_Shark
what? this is a smartech almost the same as the thunderbolt (which I bought from hobbyking) these are shaft driven. these are pretty good trucks, nothing on mine was stripped, and I have almost a gallon in it so far with no heartaches, plenty of endo's and WOT runs with no problems.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 PM
iexion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only good thing about those trucks are the engines, and those put out decent power. Youll have to do a ton of work before you even thinking about pulling the cord.
Somewhere in the Giant Scale Cars section there is a trend on that very truck and I went thru a good amount of the issues I had with it such as:

2. Having to tare down 90% of the truck just to correct the belt situation (installed incorrectly from the factory)
3. Having to cut a HUGE hole in the front diff box so the belt would stop rubbing it (SO THE WHEELS COULD MOVE)
5. One of the tires was made so badly, you could touch the side wall and it would rip apart

Simply put, it may be cheap, but its one of the worst purchases you'll make. Then have fun trying to resale it [:@]
HobbyKing 1/5 BigMonster aka Rovan 260 BM (i think)

Cloned of an FG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30910.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1861672  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
The_Shark

HobbyKing 1/5 BigMonster aka Rovan 260 BM (i think)

Cloned of an FG.
yeah, that thing looks over engineered. the titan should be ok, but its butt-ugly (in my opinion)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Murdoch7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Rovan terminator truck. It cost $620 free shipping and took a week. The truck came with a 30.5cc 4 bolt motor and orange aluminum rear bumper and shocks(tops and bottom). It also came with a tuned pipe and  bead lock wheels and walbro carb. I was blown away at the power. I have ran this truck 5 times and blew a shock yesterday. I heard the shocks weren't that great and I believe them now hahaha. The pull rope has stuck a few times but like the old seatbelts just jerk a couple times and it works. I bought the metal brace that goes on the bottom in front but haven't put it on. The steering is servo will be replaced soon, it's showing signs of going out. The. Transmitter is a nice one that came with it. It's a Skyfly boat/car controller and comes matched to receiver. The manual that comes with it sucks but does have a good diagram of parts like a parts manual. The brake has been a ***** to set but probably operator error! Over all I'm happy with it and mainly went with it because I don't want to destroy a $1500 rig while learning the 2wd large scale truck. The bad part here in north central california is there isn't a track that is big enough for them. But my brother and I are thinking about opening one up. If you know anyone in the area tell them to look at thread for 1/5 scale track central ca. It's going to be a lot of work and I don't want to go all out if we can't get a crowd out. Good luck.