Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ: 1/6 F-18 Twin Turbine Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ: 1/6 F-18 Twin Turbine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: FEJ: 1/6 F-18 Twin Turbine Thread

If you break that plate out and glue back in Im affraid you will loose any chance of a warranty if it fails. There doesnt really appear to be any kind of a FEJ warranty, but in case things change.
I would ask for a new fuse with corrections. That rudder support is scary too! make them fix that too! I would ask for plywood honeycomb sandwhich too!
Scott
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not doing any surgery to this thing... all the reason more FEJ will say my fault when something goes wrong.

I think the only thing at this point would be a new rear fuse, plywood ribs with a proper mount for the elevator and rudder, I'll wait for James' reply.

When it rains, it pours, right now there is a CAT 5 hurricane heading towards Fly Eagle Jet, I really hope they do whats right, Fix Dantley's F-14, and other customers who have had issues, Mine is probably not nearly as bad as others, but considering this is a new plane and it already has a HUGE Flaw the trust in FEJ is falling fast.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 PM
windshear

Fry beagle unites arch enemies!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this is the problem. I see these ARFs as sort of an "as is" proposition. I got a sky master f-5 and I will have to gut the fuse and mold new wings to get what "I" want... for me a decade project. And a fair price for what I paid.

But thinking these things are turnkey? Nope.

Biggest problem to me are the hidden structures. Look at what Raf had to go through. Hard to inspect those pieces and hard to trust anything you can't inspect.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:46 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: windshear

LOL!
we might not have seen eye to eye on everthing in the past, but I will help any fellow modelers by any means necessary. coming together and showing support is what we all should do for each other.
I dont want to see anyone get screwed over or led to believe a bunch of lies. I wonder how many guys have left the hobby because of crappy products? what happened to MAJ Woody? Kevin Marks? IDK, im just guessing.
I would be wanting support if I was any of them. I dont think getting action from FEJ is going to be an easy task. They will need all the support they can get.
These guys have spent alot of hard earned money.
Dont leave anyone behind.
Ill help any way I can.
Scott
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOL'ed at windshear's comment.

Scott, you have been the REAL ambassador of the hobby on this forum.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

LOL!
we might not have seen eye to eye on everthing in the past, but I will help any fellow modelers by any means necessary. coming together and showing support is what we all should do for each other.
I dont want to see anyone get screwed over or led to believe a bunch of lies. I wonder how many guys have left the hobby because of crappy products? what happened to MAJ Woody? Kevin Marks? IDK, im just guessing.
I would be wanting support if I was any of them. I dont think getting action from FEJ is going to be an easy task. They will need all the support they can get.
Ill help any way I can.
Scott

I'm still giving FLY Eagle USA the benefit of the doubt until I get a reply back form James, I got a response form them look at what they sent:

http://flyeaglejet.com/en/F181.6%20I...20Manuals.html

Step 1: How to put a PIN into a servo arm...
Step 2: " "
Step 3: Elevator installed!

Reminds of the south park episode:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts[/youtube]
Old 04-21-2013, 04:21 AM
BobbyMcGee

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

here is the pic.
This is a ridiculous and absurd set-up. Only guaranteed to fail faster than the other design! The pin will snap under load and leverage, the arm will twist and snap too, and the servo will get all the force and load of the areodynamics. There is not nearly enough metal at the end of the servo arm to support any kind of load that will be imposed on that area. Even if there was, the long pin would sustain the load and break off anyway! This was obviously designed by someone who has no understanding of flight loads. A total amateur. It's only good for static display.

Don't do it !!!!!

As far as getting the servo in the tray ...
Next they will say you have to disassemble the servo, take the servo motor out, slide in the top half of the servo into that little space, and then re-build the servo from the back!

Go for a refund! Return the jet (if you can). But I really doubt they will. I think you are stuck.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

LOL!
Ill help any way I can.
Scott

I'm still giving FLY Eagle USA the benefit of the doubt until I get a reply back form James, I got a response form them look at what they sent:

http://flyeaglejet.com/en/F181.6%20I...20Manuals.html

Step 1: How to put a PIN into a servo arm...
Step 2: '' ''
Step 3: Elevator installed!

Reminds of the south park episode:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts[/youtube]
That install is exactly as I mentioned earlier! Servo goes onto the plate from the bottom with the bottom of the servo out near the pipe! How long would it take the heat to roast the servo, I wonder? Also, as I said before, if you can get out of this, DO IT! Save yourself the aggravation, that install will not work for any real length of time.

David S
Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 AM
DiscoWings

This install can't work the servo is pushing in on the exhaust pipe[:@] ugh...
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you break that plate out and glue back in Im affraid you will loose any chance of a warranty if it fails.
Good one Scott! LOL!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

disco- i have the same system as yours and you are right it is impossible for the servo the go through.  I believe it supposed to mount on the outside and the only thing going through the bracket is the pen.  I'm not sure if i am explaining it well.  I have not assemble my elevator yet but i will mock up something and take a pic.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Wap4life

i believe a ceramic blanket should be enough to block the heat. more experience modelers can let us know if the heat blanket is enough. then i would put a then piece of ply between the two if blanket is not enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67114.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1874779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96716.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1874780  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Wap,

The heat blanket won't help at all. The heat is coming from the pipe which is sitting at the bottom of the servo. In his case , the bottom of the servo is actually touching the outer cooling shroud of the exhaust pipe.

David S

Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 AM
bandit_av
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Disco
I follow very closely in this thread, because I'm also currently building the f18, albeit from a different company, the company name is not important, which it is smaller than yours.
I prefer not to intervene in threads especially in the building threads and completely really prefer to hear opinions of others, but this time after your last post I was just appalled.
How a company which is supposed to respect herself, wants that a plane weighing 20 kg or more would fly with this kind of setup? It's really not serious,and moreover it is ridiculous.
In this kind of setup I've used in the distant past in my gliders and small nitro planes which are far from to be similar to 20kg + jets.
Disco, simply do not do it as they say!!! It would be a recipe for many trouble which are sure to come in the future.
I remember once in the f18 first batch of skymaster we had, regarding the building, they recommended to use a similar setup to the flaps, not elevators, flaps.
After lots of inputs from guys here and all over the world they changed this set up immediately, as we all know.
Disco, think about installing a servo and pull pull rods setup, it's better and safe!
I know that in our (me and partner) F18 we have changed completely the elevators servos setup, and done it similar to Tamjets F18,
the benefit comes also with the CG setup, as the elevators servos moves forwards.
I know that from outside it is easy to offer advice to do something or not, but in this case the change is a must!!!!!

Best Regards
Avi
Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Disco, is returning the model back to FEJ even an option?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Wap4life

Thanks David.    on my jet the pipes do not touch the bottom of the servo.  i will try so measure the distance. 

Question: will the servo beok if it's not touching and i shield it?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the tempature of the exhaust being @ 1900°+, the outer pipe wall will not bring the temp down nearly enough to prevent the servo from melting, or the circuit board coating or the thin armature wire coating from melting. A blanket would not do anything except delay the melt-down process by a few minutes.

Of course he could switch to electric power, but the jet is still severely flawed with other designs.

I suggest that he RETURN THE JET and get a refund. But after what I read about FEJ, that won't happen.

Sorry. []
Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 AM
bandit_av

Hey wap4life
Following to my advice to discowings, you have to ignore this setup! if you want to fly the plane more than few flights and after
that to be in serious heart brake because of elevator failure.
Do a serious renovation with the necessary mods!!!
I know it will takes a long time and it is difficult, but it is worth!!!
In our current F18, I had a big craze to change the c version, to a Canadian AETE B version (which in my opinion it is the most beautiful f-18),
and it took me a very long time to do that, and during the conversion I found that the plane needs some mods, it is sad that you have to find it by surprise, but
it is better to be mad at first and after to be happy in the end.
Take your time with the building and the mods and do it as it has to be, so it will reduce the chance for bad things to happen, and you
will enjoy the plane.

Hey Falconwings, do you really think they will refund, even a one percent chance of a hundred percent? I wish for them!

BR
Avi
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My jet arrived, but there were some damages, not major but it will be 1-2 weeks before they are fixed, until then the build will be on hold.

Issues:

1, No Horns included with the hit or on the flaps, so Installing servos is on hold.
2, Flaps didn't have the cut-out or the horn, FEJ is supposed to be sending these
3, Missing light controller, was in the video, but not included.
4, Paint on the covers doesn't really match the plane

Pros:
Light kit install overall was pretty nice and only $295.00
Weathering on the plane was provided at no charge.
Can you really be sure all that is shipping damage? Doesn't look that way to me.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Wap4life

i'm confused.  Does anyone have pictures of other manufactures elevator system?  how do they protect from the heat being in the rear of the fuselog? 

i am heading out to fly with some friends in a few and i will look and see if i can take a pic of a kingcat and skymaster rear servo mounts for the elevator.  Does the servos mount in the front of the fuse and the rods run to the rear.  i have a f-16 tam, electric, and there are rods that go to the rear.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 AM
bandit_av

Wap4life
Here are some links for you
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35..._6/key_/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35..._1/key_/tm.htm

start from here, and do a RCU deep search for TAMS F-18

Avi
Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM
bandit_av

One more thing... (I'm speaking too much )
After looking at FEJ website I don't understand why they have changed the setup they used in the past,
to the current

http://flyeaglejet.com/en/f18.html
http://flyeaglejet.com/en/F181.6.html

BR
Avi
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Wap4life

I have a pic of a sky master f18. It's been flying for years, the heat has not affected the servo.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Wap4life

Servo exposed to heat around pipe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90746.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1874846  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.