Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

F4U-Corsair from Banana Hobbies

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

F4U-Corsair from Banana Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:18 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4U-Corsair from Banana Hobbies

All I can say is DON'T buy this kit from Banana Hobbies.....It's my first Foamy kit and it'll be my last....Am sticking to balsa or fiberglass ARF kits....So again,just BEWARE of this kit....nuff said..........................................
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F4U-Corsair from Banana Hobbies

One Banana talking bad about another Banana. What is this world coming to!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

You really should consider giving specifics when you tell us to avoid something. Could you elaborate on what your problems were please?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

All I can say is DON'T buy this kit from Banana Hobbies.....It's my first Foamy kit and it'll be my last....Am sticking to balsa or fiberglass ARF kits....So again,just BEWARE of this kit....nuff said..........................................
There is a HUGE thread over on rcgroups that told me I didn't want to purchase this plane.
On the other hand, there are a lot of decent foam aircraft out there.
Unfortunately you picked a store with one the worst reputations in the business to deal with.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:24 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

EPO planes have come a long way .The plane your talking about is by LX models and BH is just the distributor .
LX makes an Excellent 1/5 epo P40 and some amazing jets .
The problem with the LX corsair and the folding wings is that it has too many weak points in the assembly , the tail is over sized , the retracts are bad and so on .
The kit only version sold by BH is over priced and not worth buying and adding your own mods because you still have the weak wing assembly .
The FMS line of 1700 EPO planes are excellent and probably the best ob the market , the advantages of epo is strength , light weight , you can easily rebuild and incredible flying traits do to light wing load loading
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Jimmy Bananas

LDM just mention a few things that are wrong with the Corsair...the retracts will work sometimes,and most of the time,they won't..also the landing gear doors won't close at all.....looks weak at the wing folding section..........got rid of it,so maybe I'll try another one...NO,not the corsair.....will try one more foamy kit...Like to have just one kit and thats it........nuff said
Old 04-27-2013, 03:27 AM
LDM

Jimmy as you may know I have mostly ESM and CMP planes . ESM is my favorite for value and out of the box looks .
Howveer I now own about 11 FMS epo planes 55mm to the new 1700 mm size .
The new Corsair and Red Tail P51 are really turn key sweet scale planes . I will tell you nothing beats epo for the ability to rebuid and I mean nothing .
Also the epo planes as real looking warbirds fly like sport planes , I cant stall mine no matter how bad I fly lol .
The one plane from LX that is good out of the box is the 79" P40 .
A little under powered but I wanted the eflight 110 so mine is fast , but others have a ton of flights out of the box stock
Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 AM
LDM

by the way Motion Rc is a veteran run model distributor that now sells FMS , great people
Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's best to stay clear of Banana Hobbies. They do distribute the cheapest made product for a good profit margin.

Here is a story about a banana hobbies F-14. I repair aircraft and cars for a LHS. I was contacted about a guy wanted an ARF constructed. I met with the guy and learned that it was the BH F-14. I knew right away that I wasn't going to touch it. I asked the guy if he had ever flown an RC airplane and he said, "No". I already knew the answer because he had already glued the wings on up-side- down .

I pointed out that he had glued the wings on up side down. His response was that he had some Acetone and he could dissolve the glue. He further stated that it would mess up the paint but he wasn't concerned. When I told him that the Acetone would also melt the foam he looked at me like I was stupid and asked, "Are you sure!" I said , "Yep".

His wife then said, "Well Stupid, that's $400. shot to hell ! "

Frank

Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 PM
LDM

I agree with everything on customer servace of BH , but the planes he distributes have nothing to do with BH .
He distributed brands like LX, FMS , Dymond models , ect , all have good and bad points .
The problem with BH is that he is a distributor , very simple and from his record nothing more needs to be said , but as far as selling the "cheapest things" that is urban legend and what your customer did has nothing to do with BH .
I have seen total mistakes made regardless of where the plane was purchased .
When you buy on line or from a hobby shop , each experience is based on the shop , in Texas alone (Dallas) there are some great shops and then some not so great shops , and its all based on the people involved .
Dealing with the facts , again FMS makes some very good planes , LX makes some good planes , the Corsair is not one of them , Dymond models makes some great modles , all sold by Nitro models , BH and many others
Old 05-02-2013, 04:13 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Jimmy, I don't know who sells that small foam WILDCAT, but a guy in the club flies one, and it handles nice.I have flown it..seems rock solid. He doesn't even use any landing gear it hand lunches well, and with the deep body on that plane it bellies in with no problems or damage on the petrol mat. In fact he regularly does touch and goes by shutting off the motor, a little SKIP on the mat, and he powers out !

I suppose the only problem is if you have a hard time seeing smallish blue models in the sky.. it might not be ideal.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Lance: No more fomies or electric type planes for me.....just like kits or ARF's glow engines ones....I joined the club,so I'll be running into you and billie every nown and then...Do have a Stuka and a BF-109 ready to go....You and Billie drop over some time for a bulls&$# session..haven't seen you two guys for some time...forgot what you look like- LOL....anyway take care and maybe one of these days,it''ll stop snowing...........

Nanas
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Jimmy we have been flying like CRAZY at the field, when ever its been sunny or warmish we have been out there.. lots of crazy crosswinds, but that hasn't been stopping us..

Many of us are flying the little foam jets, flat foam 3d planes, and small ww1 and ww2 warbirds right now because of the marginal weather. there have been glow and gas planes out and about as well.