Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Tunning my supervee 27

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Tunning my supervee 27

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 AM
SpeedRCclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunning my supervee 27

Does anyone know what I need to change my stock supervee in a lipo????
Old 04-27-2013, 02:52 PM
acejinx

Default RE: Tunning my supervee 27

I have the older supervee, and while I hesitate to suggest it I've been using LiPo for the last three years or so. Electricity is electricity, but the esc is not going to cut out and protect your batteries from over discharging. As soon as I notice the boat slowing down I bring her in. I have smoked a couple of batteries in the boat, though I think that it's the age of the batt's not the way I use them. The boat really comes alive with lipos. Use my suggestion at your own risk, the best choice would be to buy the esc for the Revolt or some other lipo ready esc.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 PM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acejinx.
I'm afraid that if you have been running your boat until you see it slowing down then I can assure you that it was not the batteries fault that they puffed. I'm sorry to say that it was yours. You have been over discharging your packs. The cumulative effect of that is a puffed lipo.
You should be leaving about 20% of the capacity in the pack after the run. The resting voltage after a run should be no lower than 3.7V per cell. I would shorten your run times If you want to stop puffing packs.
Maybe put a lipo shield in the boat. It will protect your packs if you run too long.
[link]http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=de-liposhld-32[/link]

SpeedRClub.
I suggest you do the same if you are new to Lipos. And do some reading on the do's & dont's with them guys.

The other thing for switching to Lipos is to put 6oz of lead under the motor. You've just taken a lot of weight out of the boat & it will get very flighty at the new speed & lighter weight. The lead settles it down again.
Get a Grim Racer 42x 55 prop & hang on.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM
ProfitOfDoom

I use this in one of my trucks, http://www.ebay.com/itm/280966883182...84.m1439.l2649 while it wont cut it off for you,A alarm will sound "beep beep beep" when your approaching the low voltage for you battery packs. It also has a bright led light that starts out blue,then blinks blue,,then goes to red,,then blinks red then last you get the constant beep and just plugs in to the balance port on your lipo pack,,or you can solder right to your power leads on your esc and thats its,works great and dirt cheap
Old 04-28-2013, 04:12 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

? for you folks. Now if your boat or truck is 75 yards away, how in the H*** can you hear the beeps. The boat has a cover and taped down, no way can you hear a boat beep. What you need is a devise on the tx to signal you that voltage is low. You could put led on top of boat cover that blinks off and on for the signal but the bulb would have to be the size of a cars signal light. I tried years ago with a dinky bulb On a No Step 1 boat but couldn't see it from 10 feet and it was a steady consent light . I have a thought; if you a bulb the size of a car signal light and insert it into the cover down to the bulb itself. I'd silicone it down. Then add 2 wires to copper base and run wires to rx in conjunction with ubec or separate power supply. I have a push-pull safety switch that goes to rx so I don't get cut by prop. Been there. When the light bulb grows dim, time to bring boat in. Food for thought.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike has a good point. You won't hear it.
I use a similar one in my scale boats that have brushed motors & ESC's running on Lipo. But you can hear them when you cruise past the dock.
[link]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29652__On_Board_Lipoly_Low_Voltage_Alarm_2s_6s_. html[/link]

Just learn to time your runs by checking the pack & cell voltages & capacity remaining after each run.
This is the most useful lakeside device you will ever buy.
[link]http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=emp-eos07sentry7[/link]
Tells you what you need to know after each run. Then you can adjust your run time accordingly. Remember. DON'T go below 20% capacity remaining. Bad for batteries.
Cheers.
Paul.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM
acejinx

I really don't have a problem just coming in when it slows down. I check the voltage before charging and its good. The first battery I smoked had its balance plug ripped off. I should have tossed it but it kept working, the second wasent holding a charge, I should have tossed it also.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

In conjunction with what Paul785 typed, a pocket clock or timer that fits in shirt pocket. When you find out with Paul's suggestion the amount of run time you brought boat in and make a note so you can set the pocket clock or timer. I bought one which is 2 1/2" in width and 3/8" deep. Best to make sure lipos are fully charged and lipos are in good shape, not old. My clock is LOUD!!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
SpeedRCclub

Thanks all for your tips... I will read about lipos because I don´t know much about them... I was thinkin to use a 80 ESc I will see... I already installed the Grim Racer AQUB9725 2 blade 42 x 55mm prop and it reduces a lot cavitation and incresa the top speed and throtle response of the boat.... Well I have another question... What do you do to cover the canopy I´m using tape but it looks not good and I was thinkin in cold silicone does anyone have a better idea???
Old 05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
acejinx

Electrical tape. Definitely.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM
jetskier13

I run a single 4S battery in my older Supervee 27. I mounted/epoxy a flat plastic plate with velcro strap in front of the motor where you can fasten and also velcro the battery onto the tray as well. I still have the stock ESC and motor just keep my run time to 5min tops. the thing screams and it's more fun then my Revolt 30 especially when it gets choppy. it will do barrel roll and airbore with only the rudder touhing the water, but you have to have a rescue boat which I use my kayak. The CG is better then stock setup and I don't use any weights. Supervee on lipo = Superfun!!!
I also have a Grim 42X55 prop. that's a must.