Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help: need correct spinner and adapter nut for pulse XT 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help: need correct spinner and adapter nut for pulse XT 40

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM
bugdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: need correct spinner and adapter nut for pulse XT 40

I have a Hangar 9 Pulse XT 40 with an O.S. 46 AX II engine with an APC 11 x 6 prop. I want to replace the stock nylon 2 1/4 inch spinner with a Dave Brown aluminum spinner. Will this work: Dave Brown 2 1/4 spinner Item: DAV8222 and a Dave Brown adapter nut 1/4 inch by 28 mm short Item: DAV8428?
Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 AM
nk3t

Default RE: Help: need correct spinner and adapter nut for pulse XT 40

I have not used the Dave Brown spinners, but have several of the TruTurn spinners. One of the most difficult areas for me is getting the proper prop slot. It is not recommended that you trim the aluminum to allow the prop to fit, as it will throw it out of balance. I went to the Dave Brown web site, and see they have a standard and big cut, but no listing of what props will fit.

I recommend calling Dave Brown or TruTurn and confirming your engine and prop compatibility.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM
opjose

True Turn and others provide custom cut spinners.

You tell them what prop you are using and they will cut the spinner for a perfect fit.

In lieu of this you can usually find the opening sizes at Tower.

Put the prop on a table and measure a square, big enough to clear the prop, then look for a similarly sized opening.

That works most often for me...

That said...

Cutting aluminum spinners to size is not a big deal at all.

A Dremel with a "Structured Tooth Carbide Cutter" easily deals with the metal.

Insert a prop as far as it will go into the center of the spinner and mark the areas you have to remove with a Sharpie.

You can do this by sight if you are good at estimating, or you can do one side, trace the opening onto paper ( roll the spinner over the paper as you trace ) and then trace the changes back to the other side, and cut away.

Balance is rarely affected greatly, but if you want to double check, put the spinner on any magnetic balancer and remove a bit of material from the heavy side to rebalance.

Hint Alcohol quickly remove the Ink from a Sharpie.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
bugdr

Thanks nk3t and opjose for your helpful suggestions. I looked at the openings on the standard dave brown spinner and they are way too small for apc 11x6 prop. I think the TruTurn spinner would probably fit ok. Guess I'll have to pay the extra few dollars to get what works without modification.

Thanks again for the help!
Paul
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used the Tower, Dave Brown, TruTurn and finally started using Magnum spinners. Next spinner I buy that doesn't require opening will be the first one. I pretty much do as Jose does. At one point TruTurn was offering free cutting for your prop sizes so I bought a few at that time.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had no issues trimming my aluminum spinners to fit my props. If you go slow and make the opening around the prop hub the same on both side the spinner will be in balance. With that said, it's a good idea anyway, to balance a spinner weather it be plastic or aluminum.

Ken