Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What's a good RC Basher for $250?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM
rjackowens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good RC Basher for $250?

I am brand new to hobby RC cars. I have never even driven anything more than a 75 buck walmart car. I plan on using this RC offroad in my backyard and in the woods. I also may take it on the concrete sometimes. I am never planning on racing, just want something recreative and fun. The most I can spend is about $275 but would prefer about $200. I am mainly interested in 1/10 scale but I am not really sure if I want nitro or electric. I am a complete beginner, so I want something that is very durable and doesn't need anything replaced too often.

The main thing is something durable, powerful, reliable and in my budget. I am open to any brand, but so far I have heard Traxxas, Team Associated and HPI are the best (possibly a misconception?).

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What's a good RC Basher for $250?

ORIGINAL: rjackowens

I am brand new to hobby RC cars. I have never even driven anything more than a 75 buck walmart car. I plan on using this RC offroad in my backyard and in the woods. I also may take it on the concrete sometimes. I am never planning on racing, just want something recreative and fun. The most I can spend is about $275 but would prefer about $200. I am mainly interested in 1/10 scale but I am not really sure if I want nitro or electric. I am a complete beginner, so I want something that is very durable and doesn't need anything replaced too often.

The main thing is something durable, powerful, reliable and in my budget. I am open to any brand, but so far I have heard Traxxas, Team Associated and HPI are the best (possibly a misconception?).

Thanks!
popular, and best are 2 different things
traxxas is extremely popular but IMO for what you pay it isn't a good deal, and to be on par with some other brands you need a LOT of 3rd party upgrades... They have jacked up their prices skyhigh recently (seriously almost $80 in the past 2 years for the same exact RC...)
HPI... They used to be great... key word used to. Now their only good RC's IMO are the Savage's, firestorm, Blitz, and wheely king(love mine ). Outside those I can't think of anything decent for the cash that they sell the rest are pretty much lemons.
Associated is one I can't say much about as I only own one RC from them (RC18b), and have been really happy with it as it blew the HPI offering in the same scale away in durability.

Now the thing is do you plan on going to a hobby shop or ordering 100% online?

As for electric vs nitro. the CHEAPEST nitro I would recommend is around $300, currently its the LX2, but most places seem back ordered on them. Would be the hyper 7 but HPI screwed up its distribution...

And which is for you does tinkering with a tiny engine sound like fun, and a RC that makes quite a bit of noise. Or does charging a battery up, and plugging it in with minimal work sound like more fun?
Don't listen to people who say nitro is a ton more work, they are full of it. Once you get settings irons out its about the same, the learning curve is also about the same for each,but they both focus on 2 different things. Also a lot of the mis conceptions about nitro difficulty is formed from cheap nitro RC's that have crap engines that are hard to tune. Nitro is one facet of the hobby you get what you pay for, unlike electric where you can get a good motor setup for relatively cheap.

Other brands to look for Ofna(love their vehicles they USED to sell the hyper 7 ), Tamiya(if you want to build it from a kit), Axial(most their stuff is out of your range) (BTW these are the brands I have exp owning stuff from there are a lot more)

I would recommend looking around at pictures on the site, and finding a RC style you like how it looks, maybe look up some youtube videos, and then ask about that particular style.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Traxxas 2WD Stampede or Slash. If you shop around you can find them in the low $200s. I feel they are slightly overpriced for what they are BUT, parts and upgrades are at every hobby shop and are easy to find. The electronics are also waterproof. I have a 2WD Stampede for that reason in my collection.

ECX has updated their lineup with waterproof electronics, a better battery and radio system. Parts are affordable if you need replacements but they aren't a lot of aftermarket items to customize your vehicle. Most hobby shops carry this brand. Durability is as good as anything else in this price range.

The key is finding something that has more ground clearance and adequate suspension since you will be driving it through grass and generally rough terrain. Both of these brands offer everything you need in the box; batteries, charger and all. If your budget grows then you can upgrade your batteries and charger later. Between the two, ECX puts ball bearings on their vehicles at this price range while Traxxas still uses bronze bushings. So, if you opt for a Traxxas, spend another $12 for a set of 5x11 wheel bearings.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Traxxas 2WD Stampede or Slash. If you shop around you can find them in the low $200s. I feel they are slightly overpriced for what they are BUT, parts and upgrades are at every hobby shop and are easy to find. The electronics are also waterproof. I have a 2WD Stampede for that reason in my collection.

ECX has updated their lineup with waterproof electronics, a better battery and radio system. Parts are affordable if you need replacements but they aren't a lot of aftermarket items to customize your vehicle. Most hobby shops carry this brand. Durability is as good as anything else in this price range.

The key is finding something that has more ground clearance and adequate suspension since you will be driving it through grass and generally rough terrain. Both of these brands offer everything you need in the box; batteries, charger and all. If your budget grows then you can upgrade your batteries and charger later. Between the two, ECX puts ball bearings on their vehicles at this price range while Traxxas still uses bronze bushings. So, if you opt for a Traxxas, spend another $12 for a set of 5x11 wheel bearings.
their price went up quite a bit recently pedes are now almost $240 now with that poor AM radio still Slash is $260 now
Bandit is prolly a better deal at $215 with a 2.4ghz radio (IMO better deal http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBXHN&P=7)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

I agree and also forgot about the Thunder Tiger. It's an Associated B3 chassis so it's based on a proven design. Although, nitrosportsandrunner seems to partially regret getting his. Not sure what his reservations were, maybe with durability? For a long time my only vehicle was the B4 buggy and I had loads of fun bashing with it. It doesn't do well on the lawn but as long as you don't beat it up too much buggies are fun rides.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
FuelCoupe

Traxxas is  a good brand if you want  parts availability, I love my Rustlers for bashing, but there not perfect they do require some upgrades to make them great bashers, and the VXL Rustler  is  too much power for the chassis in my opinion, had mine a few months run daily and still havent had it flat out.. 
Nitro or electric comes down to what you like , if you like a screaming two stroke go with nitro, if you want charge and run go with the electric, they are both easy to maintain and run, I am finding there is just as much if not  more tuning with the electrics. If you plan on doing your shopping through the LHS you could do worse then the Traxxas cars, but if shopping online some of the other suggestions may be a better buy in the long run.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:18 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick up a used Savage XS for a couple hundred...
Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I agree and also forgot about the Thunder Tiger. It's an Associated B3 chassis so it's based on a proven design. Although, nitrosportsandrunner seems to partially regret getting his. Not sure what his reservations were, maybe with durability? For a long time my only vehicle was the B4 buggy and I had loads of fun bashing with it. It doesn't do well on the lawn but as long as you don't beat it up too much buggies are fun rides.
not regretting getting my TTR phoenix at all. Mine had some issues, but they are all minor and easy to fix. Sloppy wiring, mis adjustest servo horn, tires that wear out quickly, has the slipper clutch way loose.

The worst is the fact that it is WAY undergear out of the box. On a 2s it will only do 27mph with stock gearing. I now have a spur gear with 7 more teeth and short course wheels on the back and the motor/esc still only run warm!
I dont know why they would use such a small pinion gear. stock is 17...no reason a 25 or maybe even 30t pinion could be used.

The buggy itself is tough, just as a B3 was. I raced it a few times, but now its a basher (liking SCT racing more than buggy racing)
I added a tboneracing front bumper. I did recently break the front shock tower and rear motor guard. both parts were cheap and Ive beat on it pretty hard. Iv run 2s and 3s with the taller gearing.
Stock radio and esc/motor are quite good for a $200 RTR.
Actually considering getting the phoenix XT (T3) or possibly another thunder tiger model. Their quality control/assembly could use some improvement...but you do get alot for your money. I mean, its a B3 with a brushless system and a radio for $200...whats not to love?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Foxy

A used Hyper 10TT with a mild brushless system.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 AM
jackstraw72

checkout redcat you get good bang for your buck
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM
rjackowens

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking at getting anHPI Racing Savage XS Flux 4WD mini monster truck.I can get it online for about $200! Deal or no?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking at getting an HPI Racing Savage XS Flux 4WD mini monster truck. I can get it online for about $200! Deal or no?
a new one at $300 I wouldnt do. Not enough truck for the money IMO. But $200 if its in good shape (and especially if a battery is included) then sure.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
redfisher1974

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking at getting an HPI Racing Savage XS Flux 4WD mini monster truck. I can get it online for about $200! Deal or no?
You can not go wrong at $200, Even at $300 new with warranty its still a great truck.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Charles gray

Traxxas 2wd Slash is an Electric and great off road basher and also best for you, because I think  Nitro RC cars are difficult for beginners then an electric RC cars.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Charles gray

Traxxas 2wd Slash is an Electric and great off road basher and also best for you, because I think Nitro RC cars are difficult for beginners then an electric RC cars.
hmm? how are "Nitro RC cars are difficult for beginners then an electric RC cars. "?
PLEASE go into details (also on why traxxas slash is best while at it)
Have you run a nitro? or are you going off what your brothers, friends, fiances, orthodontists, 2nd cousin twice removed's, ex-roommate's friend says based on their experiences with some cheap ass used nitro which they probably paid more for the nitro then the RC itself?

Also the slash is an overpriced piece of crap compared to many other RC's in that price range that Traxxas charges for it (specially now).

Maybe back when it 1st came out it was a ok buy for the cash, but as traxxas keeps escalating its cost(by big leaps) while other brands are bringing RC's out that are more durable, and better setups for cheaper then it.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

hmm? how are ''Nitro RC cars are difficult for beginners then an electric RC cars. ''?
Have you run a nitro? or are you going off what your brothers, friends, fiances, orthodontists, 2nd cousin twice removed's, ex-roommate's friend says based on their experiences with some cheap ass used nitro which they probably paid more for the nitro then the RC itself?

Also the slash is an overpriced piece of crap compared to many other RC's in that price range that Traxxas charges for it (specially now).

Maybe back when it 1st came out it was a ok buy for the cash, but as traxxas keeps escalating its cost(by big leaps) while other brands are bringing RC's out that are more durable, and better setups for cheaper then it.
Common SyCo, we all know nitro is just Sooooo dificult. I mean, you actually have to learn how to start it, maybe even read the instructions if your not familiar with the process. Then, not to worry, if pulling the pullstart is just too hard, you can by some crazy adapter to hook your drill up to it. With a little cash, you can almost remove every bit of effort on the operators part to start it. Then if it breaks, just wheel it on down to your local hobby shop and drop it off. Pay them. $35 to replace your $2.39 spur gear and do it all over again.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

hmm? how are ''Nitro RC cars are difficult for beginners then an electric RC cars. ''?

Common SyCo, we all know nitro is just Sooooo dificult. I mean, you actually have to learn how to start it, maybe even read the instructions if your not familiar with the process. Then, not to worry, if pulling the pullstart is just too hard, you can by some crazy adapter to hook your drill up to it. With a little cash, you can almost remove every bit of effort on the operators part to start it. Then if it breaks, just wheel it on down to your local hobby shop and drop it off. Pay them. $35 to replace your $2.39 spur gear and do it all over again.
Do I detect a little sarcasm in that post?

I do admit filling that little squeeze bottle, and then sticking the metal spout into the tank while simultaneously holding the lid open is sooo hard (for the record that is sarcasm before anyone takes it literally as many people do...)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Dads like rc too

Do I detect a little sarcasm in that post?

I do admit filling that little squeeze bottle, and then sticking the metal spout into the tank while simultaneously holding the lid open is sooo hard (for the record that is sarcasm before anyone takes it literally as many people do...)
Actually I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands so sometimes squeezing the fuel bottle is painful.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 PM
The_Shark

arrma... more durable out of the box than traxxas, rtr's under $180 and can be had under $160, nice cars. get a extra battery though, because they are weak.

or if willing to try nitro (which I highly reccomend) the TEN-scte is only $300, electric start, 4wd, tough, fast.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Charles gray

Traxxas 2wd Slash is an Electric and great off road basher and also best for you, because I think Nitro RC cars are difficult for beginners then an electric RC cars.
and is also best for you?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 PM
james04k

Traxxas Rustler will be the better option for your condition and it's also affordable to your budget.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: james04k

Traxxas Rustler will be the better option for your condition and it's also affordable to your budget.
OH MY GOD what condition does he have? is it life threatening?
Or seeing your recommending traxxas(again with no reason) the condition would be Ihavetoomuchmoneytowasteitis?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Killerrock

just my 2c.
thunder cat\assioted stay away. they have gone down hill since the chin started running them.
if your looking for a brasher traxxas is the only true basher there is. why because all rc hobby store. and i mean all of them have every part stock to fix them. so your up and running the same day u break it. with anything else u maybe down for a couple day till parts come in. but with this said traxxas is overprice in that u loss tune ability and get good quality but cheaper or less of performance/tunning parts. like brushed motors or bushing not barring(barring have a shorter life in bashers anyways) radio with short range.
now all this can be upgraded but u r still left with a RC with barley any turn-ability but can get parts availability anywhere even on the moon. now 2wd works great this is what i race. but struggles in most off road condition. like grass. to much rolling resistance. i rec 4x4 for that. other wise 2wd works great.
now there is 2 man form of power electric and nitro. nitro us to be the way to go before brushless, but now the ez of brushless setups and speed make nitros a more enthoizes hobby. dont get me wrong. nitrous can be a blessing or a curse. improper setup fuel mixture wise, upkeep and/or just buying a cheap nitro motor will ruin it for u and turn them into money pits. also there is buying fuel to adds to the bill of running. othere wise their ezr to keep running all day long.
next there is electric like i sad all u do is charge the batter and go. well if it was that ez lol. at ur house recharging ez. middle of no were like a skate park or the woods and that is were it becomes hard. so ur car battery's becomes place to charge from (be careful not to over draw and kill it charging batteries, lol).
now the charger that came in the kit is now junk. no to say it was not already that to begin with. no dc hock up, slow charger not a fast charger, ni-metal batteries only no li-ops(read up on li-op safety before going is this direction as they can be dangers if miss handled but really will wake up a brushless motor). o yes dont dont dont dont dont dont dont dont get the Velineon motors or the vxl version of traxxas rc. there a complete throw a way of cash go to "hobblyking.com" and get something like this combo "Turnigy TrackStar Waterproof 1/10 Brushless Power System 4000KV/80A" for $52.28 (ps what ever u buy from this site make sure it in stock in ur country, their boats r extra slow there from that part of china{took my 3 month for a 4 pole 14scale size motor for my mini 8ight to get in great car by the way}). o and any no mater the brand anything smaller then 14 scale and like 18scale(minis) r a joke and not worth getting. and any this over 8th scale getting expencove in parts. beware of second hand rc most people just bash and trash them, try to over price a trashed parts car..

but enof said traxxas makes a great basher and basher only. because of parts availability but that what u realy pay for from them and nothing else. nitro vs electric they both have there ups and down electric will be the way to go just because of the ez, but u will have a higher enisal start up plan on buy at lest a second battery if not third, and get duel fast charger with liop support, weather or not u go wioth liops its alway nice to know u have the chose to switch. hobby king can help u with cutting cost but if not in stock it a slow boat. a brushless swap( this includes the esc) should be considered as a fun factor upgrade too(speed =fun)*alway. a 550 4 pole motor or 540 4pole motor in the 4000 to 6000 range depending on the weight or the rc. should be plenty.

now for the recard i hate buying from china inferior product most the time. like from hobby king, but i hate more spending more on a good product an being afraid to brake it in my basher. but this r thing u have to desides
ps sorry for my bad grammer and spelling
well my 2 sence go a little long any way good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited by Killerrock; 03-06-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:51 AM
On2_n_On4

...thread from april 2013.

a late first post?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh that sucks... All that thought and effort....