Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

O.S. 46 AX oil in muffler after flying

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

O.S. 46 AX oil in muffler after flying

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM
bugdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 46 AX oil in muffler after flying

Is this normal? I have a O.S. 46 AX II on a pulse XT 40 with a hobbyco exhaust extender. After flying, the muffler has about a teaspoon of oil in it that I empty by holding the plane vertically. Some information that may be helpful: 1) the powerbox muffler exhaust nozzel is at the 45 degree up position; 2) the hobbyco exhaust extender is also at the 45 degree up position; 3) the engine is perfectly tuned and is running rich of peak by 300 rpm; 4) I normally fly at about 1/2 throttle most of the time.

would oil in the muffler be reduced by rotating the powerbox muffler exhaust nozzel 45 degrees down; or, by not using the hobbyco exhaust extender? both of these options would result with more oil on the wing, but I'm willing to do this if it results in fewer engine problems.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: O.S. 46 AX oil in muffler after flying

ORIGINAL: bugdr

Is this normal? I have a O.S. 46 AX II on a pulse XT 40 with a hobbyco exhaust extender. After flying, the muffler has about a teaspoon of oil in it that I empty by holding the plane vertically. Some information that may be helpful: 1) the powerbox muffler exhaust nozzel is at the 45 degree up position; 2) the hobbyco exhaust extender is also at the 45 degree up position; 3) the engine is perfectly tuned and is running rich of peak by 300 rpm; 4) I normally fly at about 1/2 throttle most of the time.

would oil in the muffler be reduced by rotating the powerbox muffler exhaust nozzel 45 degrees down; or, by not using the hobbyco exhaust extender? both of these options would result with more oil on the wing, but I'm willing to do this if it results in fewer engine problems.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, if a glow engine does not have some oil coming out the exhaust it would be way too lean. I have never run an exhaust pointed up but doubt that you could collect enough oil in the muffler to effect performance in 1 flight. If it where me I would point the exhaust 45 degrees down, away from the plane and keep the exhaust extender. Another option would be spend more time flying inverted.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:58 PM
bugdr

You made me laugh about flying inverted. I'm just getting started on aerobatics but I'm sure you're right. A few cuban eights would certainly clear out the oil. I'll try the 45 degree down position and see if that helps. the oil is only a problem if I forget to empty it out of the muffler and then carry the plane into the house on its side forgetting that there is oil dripping out of the muffler.
thanks,
Paul

Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It's pretty normal. Better rich than lean - if engine performance is good, leave it alone. One thing you can do is make a plug for the muffler - but put something like a "remove before flight' tag on it so you remember to take it out - unfortunately that comes from experience.

A drastic but nice fix is to relocate the engine so the muffler comes out the bottom/center of the plane, or as close to it as you can. There will be less oil remaining in the muffler, but could result in oil dripping out slowly (like at home). Less to clean up at the field.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:43 AM
bugdr

Here is a picture of my Pulse XT 40 with the muffler and exhaust extender. Note: the powerbox muffler could be rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees to help oil exit from the muffler (the extension could then be pointed slightly down too. This might result in much more oil on the wing though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32618.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1875459  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 AM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

A drastic but nice fix is to relocate the engine so the muffler comes out the bottom/center of the plane, or as close to it as you can. There will be less oil remaining in the muffler, but could result in oil dripping out slowly (like at home). Less to clean up at the field.
+1

I would rotate the engine mount 90 degrees or so and get a new cowl, cut it for exhaust out bottom and as needed for head and or glow plug. You would also need to provide access to needle and possibly need a needle valve extension through the cowl.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 AM
bugdr

That's a little too much work for me to reduce oil on this plane. Besides cutting a new cowl, and remounting the engine, I would also need to move the throttle servo.

On my next project I think I'll look at getting a DLE 20cc on a Pulse XT 125, and mount it inverted so the exhaust exits through bottom.
Thanks for the advice.
Paul

ORIGINAL: daytonarc

+1

I would rotate the engine mount 90 degrees or so and get a new cowl, cut it for exhaust out bottom and as needed for head and or glow plug. You would also need to provide access to needle and possibly need a needle valve extension through the cowl.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Use a foam ear plug in the muffler exit (after flying, of course!) to keep the oil from dripping everywhere.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: RC_Fanatic

Use a foam ear plug in the muffler exit (after flying, of course!) to keep the oil from dripping everywhere.
That is what I had used - again, remember to take it out. Should be easy to remember with the muffler on the topside of the plane. Mine was under, not obvious.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Villa

I always take a piece of paper towel, about 4" X 4", roll it up and stick it into the muffler outlet to absork the oil.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RC_Fanatic

That is what I had used - again, remember to take it out. Should be easy to remember with the muffler on the topside of the plane. Mine was under, not obvious.
Take it out before you refuel if you leave the line connected to the muffler as, without the vent, you will flood the engine and dump fuel everywhere. Don't ask how I know! If you start the engine with the plug in, compression will blow it out.