Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

My Ace hardware now carries Stihl oil.

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

My Ace hardware now carries Stihl oil.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Ace hardware now carries Stihl oil.

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I had a Brison 6.4 twin apart the other day that had been ruined by running it with Amsoil at 100: 1. The engine looked almost like it had been straight gassed.
Running an engine with a 100:1 mix is about as close as you can get to straight gas. That's not for me.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

i would never run 100-1 mix in anything. i used one oil a few years back, it was called opti 2 oil. you would mix 1 1/2 to 2 oz per gallon. it was reg 2 cycle oil,not syn. anyway it's very good at that ratio. avail at better lawn mower shops. it's on the net at opti 2 oil.com check it out...........RON
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

My Ace Hardware also carries the Stihl oil, but there is one problem. I picked up 2 bottles of HP Ultra, in a 6.4 oz bottle. It says to mix the contents with 2-1/2 gallons of gasoline. It doesn't say what oil to gas mix you have at 2-1/2 gal to the contents of the bottle. Apparently this stuff is only for mixing oil to gas at one ratio, and it doesn't even give that on the bottle. 30:1 40:1 50:1? It doesn't say anything on the bottle.
The bottles of 2 cycle oil usually give mixing amounts for several different gas to oil percentages.
What is up with Stihl? It would be nice to know what percentage oil gas mix you get. I have motors on 50:1, and some on 40:1 and 30:1. How do I come up with mix amounts, when they don't even tell what percentage you come up with by adding the 6.4 oz to 2-1/2 gallons of gas?

Greg
Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

6.4 oz. into 320 oz. of gas - isn't that 50:1?

Martin
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

6.4 oz in two gallons of gas gives you 40:1
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 AM
OldRookie

Hey guys....I'm not ignorant enough that I can't divide the total ounces of gasoline by total ounces of oil.

My point was....why doesn't Stihl have a mixture chart of gas to oil on their bottle like every other 2 stroke oil manufacture?

I shouldn't need my calculator with me at the store to select my oil purchase.

This is a FAIL on Stihl's part in my opinion.

Just saying,
Greg
Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean I'm supposed to use oil in my gas? Well no wonder my engines don't last
Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

Hey guys....I'm not ignorant enough that I can't divide the total ounces of gasoline by total ounces of oil.

My point was....why doesn't Stihl have a mixture chart of gas to oil on their bottle like every other 2 stroke oil manufacture?

I shouldn't need my calculator with me at the store to select my oil purchase.

This is a FAIL on Stihl's part in my opinion.

Just saying,
Greg
LOL, no fail on Stihl's part, all of their power equipment runs on 50:1. It says on the side of every container of Stihl oil, Makes __ gallons. No fuss.
Quote from their website. " Remember that all STIHL products use the same 50:1 fuel mix, so the fuel you used for your trimmer will work in your blower or chain saw, while your trimmer is in storage. "
Sorry they didn't come to your house and mix it for you.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 AM
OldRookie

Definately a FAIL on their part.

It says to mix 2.5 gal with the contents of the container. OK...but doesn't state the mix ratio you end up with...FAIL.

Unable to verify that all Stihl products use a 50:1 mix on all of the products on their web site, as I don't carry a computer with me to the hardware store FAIL.

Greg

(Edited by Rcpilot)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

O.R.,
I'm thinking Stihl really doesn't care much if you (or anyone else) buy their oil for your plane, boat or anything else not actually in the Stihl product line? Your comments likely have much more relevance regarding oil intended for use by the general buying public (Pennzoil, Klotz, Amsoil, etc.)?

Agreed though, it wouldn't cost them much to mention 50:1 someplace either.... especialy if they're marketing through the likes of neighborhood ACE stores?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Ed

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

Definately a FAIL on their part.

It says to mix 2.5 gal with the contents of the container. OK...but doesn't state the mix ratio you end up with...FAIL.

Unable to verify on their web site as I don't carry a computer with me to the hardware store FAIL.

Greg

You are the one that's " Failing " to understand that no one needs to know the ratio for mowing their lawn, or otherwise. They produce good oil, just use it as directed, and be happy !

(edited by Rcpilot)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my lawn equipment, I use whatever is being sold at the hardware store, Pro-Mix, etc... But I have only one gas engine for RC planes. The manual for my RC gas engine specifically states to use either Stihl HP Ultra or Redline at 50:1 ratio, even for break-in. So, I have only used Stihl HP Ultra for my engine just to stay safe warranty-wise. The engine is only 1 year old with only 2 gallons through it, so too early to tell.

I use the small 2.6 0z bottles and mix it with exactly 1 gallon of gas. So I don't have to mess with calculating ratios. For my convenience, future model gas engines I might purchase will have to run at 50:1. So, that throws out some brands from my potential purchase list.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
OldRookie

[/quote]

You are the one that's '' Failing '' to understand that no one needs to know the ratio for mowing their lawn, or otherwise.

[/quote]

So no one ever needs to know the oil percentage in their gas? Do Tell.

What if a person goes to Ace to pick up 2 stroke oil for his 30:1 lawn product. He buys Sthil because he heard it was the greatest oil in the Universe. He gets 2-1/2 gallons of gas, dumps in the Stihl as directed on the bottle. Shortly afterward he burns up his brand new lawn care equipment engine.
I would think that he would like to have known the oil to gas ratio.

If you don't know what you are posting about...don't post at all.

Greg

(edited by Rcpilot)

Maybe you should both take a break from this thread? It's just oil for lawn mowers. Take a pill, or go flying.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM
hsukaria

Stihl is only marketing their oil for their equipment to run on 50:1. They are not interested in making claims for other engines. Therefore, they probably intentionally leave out any information of mixing ratios in their labels. I believe someone else mentioned that earllier in this thread.

Perhaps Stihl considers their engines superior and require only 50:1 compared to inferior engines that need 30:1 mix. As I mentioned before, I do not intend to buy model engines that require more than 50:1 oil ratio.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Stihl is only marketing their oil for their equipment to run on 50:1. They are not interested in making claims for other engines. Therefore, they probably intentionally leave out any information of mixing ratios in their labels. I believe someone else mentioned that earllier in this thread.

Perhaps Stihl considers their engines superior and require only 50:1 compared to inferior engines that need 30:1 mix. As I mentioned before, I do not intend to buy model engines that require more than 50:1 oil ratio.
On the bold, thinking you might change your mind here some day? Never running "inferior" engines requiring more oil than 50:1 is going to have you missing out on a lot of fun the guys running the smaller 10-20cc gassers are having? Thinking you may even enjoy running 20:1 some day? Nothing inferior about the smaller gassers, they're just smaller. That little rod bearing needs a lttle more protection and cooling than a bigger one needs... but suit yourself.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
pilotpete2

That's why they sell ratio measuring cups at most outdoor power equipment dealers
It'll last a lifetime and takes out all the guess work[8D]
Pete
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm standing by just in case someone decides to get upset and bent out of shape over the discussion of oil?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Whistling Death

I'm standing by just in case someone decides to get upset and bent out of shape over the discussion of oil?
I think you have FAILED to see that one already has.

Oh and BTW OldRookie, I heard a guy say something very intelligent one day and it has stuck with me since.
And I quote: "Math has been working for centuries"
They are practically telling you the ratio on the side of the container. LOL
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What? Folks get upset discussing oil? Surely (Shirley?) you jest....

I just use 30 weight oil and enjoy the smoke trail!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM
thepamster

If you are incapable of determining the correct oil ratio for your engines perhaps you would be better suited flying electric.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

On the bold, thinking you might change your mind here some day? Never running ''inferior'' engines requiring more oil than 50:1 is going to have you missing out on a lot of fun the guys running the smaller 10-20cc gassers are having? Thinking you may even enjoy running 20:1 some day? Nothing inferior about the smaller gassers, they're just smaller. That little rod bearing needs a lttle more protection and cooling than a bigger one needs... but suit yourself.
Ok, I'll make an exception for the smaller gassers. But that's it, no more compromises.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
MTK

Thank you!!! Who sez RCU Moderators are mean and uncooperative? Not our engine moderator.....for sure!!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM
MTK

Personally I've got a "bee" with an "itch" too. Why come we don't get oil in percent??? We had it that way for centuries, or is that decades, with glow gas? Why come, huh??

Oh, I forgot, it's that math guy isn't it?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:39 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: MTK

Personally I've got a ''bee'' with an ''itch'' too. Why come we don't get oil in percent??? We had it that way for centuries, or is that decades, with glow gas? Why come, huh??

Oh, I forgot, it's that math guy isn't it?
I love math.[X(] I just can't help it. Everytime I calculate oil content, I do it in ratios X:Y and in percents. Gives me a feeling of power and control over the elements.[>:]
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM
littlera

My Ace Hardware store has carried Stihl products, including the oils in all the sizes for many, many years, so this is not something new for at least some of the stores.

I have bean using Ultra for my gassers since I started flying gas, and mix it at 40:1. Using complex mathematics, I was actually able to do this. Seriously, I use a medicine cup with measurements on the side to add the extra partial part of a bottle to one gallon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.