Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
crashgoodly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

RECALL.... when a car company gets caught for putting a piece of crap in it comes out at their cost. you must suck at poker.
ORIGINAL: dce21b

Where is the I hold myself accountable any where in this thread?

This is exactly what is wrong with this country. No one forced you to buy their product and no one forced you to spend an insane amount of money on a hobby either. If their products have a history of questionable construction you should have either reinforced it or build/or buy a better one.

If I buy a brand new car, get a flat tire and total it into a guard rail is it the car company's fault? Or does &#$@ just happen?

As far as I am concerned this hobby is like a game of poker. In your case a high stakes poker game. Don't bring to the table what your not ready to lose.

Stop crying and get over it.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

This is exactly what is wrong with this country. No one forced you to buy their product and no one forced you to spend an insane amount of money on a hobby either. If their products have a history of questionable construction you should have either reinforced it or build/or buy a better one.

If I buy a brand new car, get a flat tire and total it into a guard rail is it the car company's fault? Or does &#$@ just happen?

As far as I am concerned this hobby is like a game of poker. In your case a high stakes poker game. Don't bring to the table what your not ready to lose.

What if your tire was being held on with honey comb and it fell off because of a bad design? A design that is different on every F14. Some have wood. Some have honey comb, some have both. The only way you can see whats holding your anirotation pins is by doing an Xray. This is different from a flat tire.

BTW Dantly is not crying just trying to warn others.

Most of the people that have flyeagle planes are people just getting into jets and want something cheap and have no clue they are buying a static model.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Nickallan

Fej needs to be held accountable for design flaws if they are not going to have better customer support and repair addendums. I am one of those left with an F-14 that is going to require the entire rear section to be rebuilt. This may involve splitting the stabs to reinforce the pivot point or moving it to the proper location to avoid flutter from a faulty design. People may be on the fence about a jet purchase and I commend Dubd for sticking to his guns and continuing the pressure to hopefully get fej to change its approach. Fej could stop this with good communication and action to fix the problems!!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read dubds statements ... He said the factory lied about the soundness of the jet & its design, and the sales rep lied to him too!

The flutter that lead to his jet crashing cannot be compared to getting a flat tire and driving off the road. Flutter is the result of a serious design and structural flaw/faliure. So, flutter can be compared to the gas pedal of a car getting stuck while the brakes and steering also fail. The car goes out of control, crashes, and there isn't a damned thing the driver could have done. So that would be the companies fault, right? Same thing here.

This is not a case of $%it happens. This is a case of manufacturer defect and wilfull deceit.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 PM
dce21b

Why not just build your own then? Then you cant blame no one but yourself.

Wish i had 20g to blow on a toy... must be nice.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

It is.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM
dce21b

Seriously though... is it not possible to make your own air frame for jets?  Or are you just not into that aspect of the hobby.   Which I get some are builders some are flyers some excel at both.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are going to use a car 'analogy' then the proper one to use would be where a car manufacturer makes a car which goes into full production and is found to have one or more major flaws, flaws that would put the owner/driver and/or folks out in the public at risk of injury or death.

When this happens the car manufacturer can either 'voluntarily' recall said car and make the necessary design changes or have good ole Uncle Sam force him to do so.
Either way the car manufacturer bears all the costs associated with the recall/fix, up to and including total replacement of the vehicle.

And if there is in fact an accident as a result of the flaw then all costs associated with the accident become the responsibility of the car manufacturer

Apply this case to the F-14 and dubd should be looking at a minimum of a new airframe for his troubles.

All other manufacturer's would be held to the same level of responsibility
Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM
dce21b

Whatever... you'd probably be better off trying to get a refund from a hooker\

they could easily defend themselves by saying that the structure is fine and passed some made up test and say you have no proof saying that you weren't the cause of the failure
Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they could easily defend themselves by saying that the structure is fine and passed some made up test

Uhh.... don't look now....
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM
tlj125
My Feedback: (1)

I had one of the early FEJ 1:5.5 scale F-16 models. Paid about $3000.00 for it directly from FEJ. It crashed on the second flight when the left elevator failed in flight. The plane corkscrewed into the ground and exploded into a huge fireball. Total loss. I was very lucky that no one was hurt. I too contacted FEJ to explain what had happened and that I felt there was a serious design flaw that needed to be addressed. I did not ask anything more of FEJ than to look into and correct a problem. The only response I got was an offer of a new plane at a discount. I did not want another plane from FEJ. It does not appear FEJ is responsive to problems with their products regardless the circumstances. I took my business elsewhere. I recommend that others do the same.

Terry Jacobs
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Terry,
I wonder how many guys are out there just like yourself. Guys that probably even quit the hobby.
It doesn't sound like anything has changed in the last 2-3 years.
Sorry to hear about your crash.
Thanks for telling us your experience so that others can learn from it.
Scott
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: tlj125

I had one of the early FEJ 1:5.5 scale F-16 models. Paid about $3000.00 for it directly from FEJ. It crashed on the second flight when the left elevator failed in flight. The plane corkscrewed into the ground and exploded into a huge fireball. Total loss. I was very lucky that no one was hurt. I too contacted FEJ to explain what had happened and that I felt there was a serious design flaw that needed to be addressed. I did not ask anything more of FEJ than to look into and correct a problem. The only response I got was an offer of a new plane at a discount. I did not want another plane from FEJ. It does not appear FEJ is responsive to problems with their products regardless the circumstances. I took my business elsewhere. I recommend that others do the same.

Terry Jacobs
What's your problem man? Don't you know flying r/c toy jets is JUST like driving cars. Just 'cause your Prius' throttle got stuck open and almost killed you and others, Toyota doesn't owe you anything.

(THIS post is the very definition of sarcasm)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Falcon 64

ORIGINAL: Nickallan

This may involve splitting the stabs to reinforce the pivot point or moving it to the proper location to avoid flutter from a faulty design.
Use one hour of your time to fix it, it will make the elevators ok. As i understand it, there is one down because of flutter, and not all of them
has flutter. Of course it can`t be like that, accepting it, but now that you have this 20k model you can easily fix the main problem which is the cause of this thread.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravill

It is.
LOL, that's awesome Rav!!!!! It's the American Dream, isn't it. Do you mind if I live vicariously through you? How about another photo of "The Lambo and The Leg"!

Jim
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 PM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is.
owned.....
Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Airplanes400

It is.
Yes, it is nice. After a while, you get used to it too. I have several.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: Falcon 64

ORIGINAL: Nickallan

This may involve splitting the stabs to reinforce the pivot point or moving it to the proper location to avoid flutter from a faulty design.
Use one hour of your time to fix it, it will make the elevators ok. As i understand it, there is one down because of flutter, and not all of them
has flutter. Of course it can`t be like that, accepting it, but now that you have this 20k model you can easily fix the main problem which is the cause of this thread.
First of all, it's a design flaw of the stab that will cause flutter and bring all the jets down. There are many, many jets that have crashed due to the poor design. When a large majority of a manufacturers jets go down after just a few flights, there is something wrong!!

Secondly, the quality control is non-existent. So, some stabs will be built worse than others.

Third, most people are buying these jets mostly because they are fully painted, and the manufacturer claims all that is needed is basic assembly of the parts supplied. And they somehow trust that the manufacturer built the jet correctly. Therefore, the buyer will not, nor will the buyer expect to take the whole jet apart to make sure it is built correctly, and has glue in ALL the right places. These companies are notorious for not gluing ribs to the wing and stab skins. That alone weakens the structure, and will cause flutter even at low to moderate speeds.

Your proposal to spend some time fixing all that is wrong with these jets will require the buyer to take apart the jet, and completely rebuild it the correct way. That would be worse than buying a kit. It would also take many months to accomplish.

These jets are not built to airworthy standards, yet the manufacturer advertises their jets to be just that. These companies are claiming their jets are ready for flight as built and designed by them. That is a lie. The jets are poorly built, with inadequate materials, inadequate design, inadequate craftsmanship, and absolutely no real engineering to ensure the jet is structurally sound or airworthy. Most of the time, these jets are a total nightmare to assemble because the parts don't fit correctly, or are not glued correctly. All that the jet has is a pretty paint job! Unfortunately, that is the lure to buying these jets.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Reinol
My Feedback: (22)

So Toyota and Ford should have never recalled all those vehicles that caused accidents, blew up spontaniously, etc. The owners should have gone through the car and inspected it and fix everything they did not like. This is one crazy faulty analogy.

If a company puts out a defective product they need to stand behind them and respond to incidents like this. This is why I fly BVM jets!!

When i owned R.A.Microjets, RAM, we received a batch of defective turbine wheels from the casting company. They had supposedly done all the testing we asked but obviously they had not. A few wheels came apart while running them. I believe it only happened to two customers out of the hundreds we had already shipped. We did the right thing, we recalled all of them at our expense and replaced the wheels. That was the right thing to do.

The problem with FEJ is that no two planes are built the same and there is no QC.

When we go out and fly our $20K jets, yes I have a few, we are prepared to lose it but it is very frustrating when it was not your fault.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 AM
Falcon 64

Raise your hand if none of you had heard the romours, knew anything about poor or variable quality, underpaid workers, never thought "I hope I`m lucky with it when it comes". Whom of you can say that without fingers crossed? Nobody....

This particular model was most probably a up-scaled model of a smaller one without any aerodynamical adjustments.
And this is down to the point, when model are this big, fast & heavy, other variables starts ticking in, especially on all flying elevators..
They didn`t know, and most likely the pilots didn`t either! But now you do! Infact there are very very few individuals sitting on the knowhow!
The smaller one had few or no problems, but it had to come as we now know.
I wouldn`t hesitate to buy the F-14 today if I had the money and liked the Tomcat better than the Falcon.

And the difference between me and those with a soar throat here, is that I would fixed it before it flew, now that we know.
And I could bet another thread had started when you all realised the reason why it stopped fluttering, out of the box...oh yes..
It was balanced, heeelp! This is a too easy fix etc etc. It still would be a poor design despite the fact, it flys great! Infact an awsome flight!

Five years ago, I designed and developed a competition sailplane for RCRCM.com, I had contact in a daily basis for over a year.
This way I came under the skin and learned alot about the industry, way of thinking etc. They are different from the West, everything else there is too. Their biggest problem is the employees to stay at the plant. They disappear without a warning, and the factory have to pick another guy or girl from the street. A deasent salary would be a big improvement.
Skymaster is the company I rely the most in, they answer and thrive to meet the customers wish, my contact with FEJ is just about my plane to come, but have been fairly good. ETA and promised arrival is two worlds apart though.
But I give them the chance to adjust, and it seemed to help.

Well guys, I intend not to spend more calories on this, just hope I opened the eyes on some of you. How to make your model safer, a good use of your pressous time.

Good luck.. (!!)

Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Falcon 64

Doubleposted
Old 04-24-2013, 05:26 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Falcon 64

Raise your hand if none of you had heard the romours, knew anything about poor or variable quality, underpaid workers, never thought ''I hope I`m lucky with it when it comes''. Whom of you can say that without fingers crossed? Nobody....

This particular model was most probably a up-scaled model of a smaller one without any aerodynamical adjustments.
And this is down to the point, when model are this big, fast & heavy, other variables starts ticking in, especially on all flying elevators..
They didn`t know, and most likely the pilots didn`t either! But now you do! Infact there are very very few individuals sitting on the knowhow!
The smaller one had few or no problems, but it had to come as we now know.
I wouldn`t hesitate to buy the F-14 today if I had the money and liked the Tomcat better than the Falcon.

And the difference between me and those with a soar throat here, is that I would fixed it before it flew, now that we know.
And I could bet another thread had started when you all realised the reason why it stopped fluttering, out of the box...oh yes..
It was balanced, heeelp! This is a too easy fix etc etc. It still would be a poor design despite the fact, it flys great! Infact an awsome flight!

Five years ago, I designed and developed a competition sailplane for RCRCM.com, I had contact in a daily basis for over a year.
This way I came under the skin and learned alot about the industry, way of thinking etc. They are different from the West, everything else there is too. Their biggest problem is the employees to stay at the plant. They disappear without a warning, and the factory have to pick another guy or girl from the street. A deasent salary would be a big improvement.
Skymaster is the company I rely the most in, they answer and thrive to meet the customers wish, my contact with FEJ is just about my plane to come, but have been fairly good. ETA and promised arrival is two worlds apart though.
But I give them the chance to adjust, and it seemed to help.

Well guys, I intend not to spend more calories on this, just hope I opened the eyes on some of you. How to make your model safer, a good use of your pressous time.

Good luck.. (!!)

Lol, you likecthe falcon more, but have a Tomcat as your avatar picture. Lol. How ironic
Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Falcon 64

, irony is a good thing
Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Rush!

Wouldnt it be ironic for a $20k plane to come crashing down on your property?

After all this isn't the issue clear yet? Its not about balancing stabs or re-engineering poorly made airframes... its getting manufacturers to provide us planes that meet safe construction and aero standards.... With properly engineered hinge points and properly tested airframces for structural integrity... This isnt a negotiable requirement i believe.

Perhaps Dubd can chime in again.... but all he's asking for is not to misrepresent facts about a plane he poured hard earned cash into.... put yourself in his place....

I'm not an aero-engineer... but i dont need to be to know that if i pay X'000's of hard earned cash on a plane... it better be safe to fly without me worrying if it will break up and causing me Thousands more in third party liability....
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Falcon 64

Of course, Rush..
But we will never have planes developed by aeronautical engeneers.
They will contiue to be a product of experienced modellers. Their advices to the factory..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.