Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Jato W/3.3 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM
kid chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jato W/3.3 overheating

Neighbor kid has brought me his Jato 2wd RC Nitro Car. I believe it has the Revo 3.3??? not sure.
The problem is it seems to be getting hot. I don't have a temp guage but the entire car was warm
and the medal plate underneath was almost to hot to touch.
I am pretty sure it is in the tuning. Thing is i don't know if it is in the high speed screw or the idle
Kid was spinning it around quite a bit when this happend also. It idles good and has good top end speed also.
I did not see much smoke coming from it so i did change the idle screw to where it still idles good but puts out
a tad more smoke.
Fuel is about a yr. or so old. Traxxas 10% nitro fuel. Came in Metal can and was just opened. Don't know if it goes bad
or not. I use the same fuel and have no problem.
I have a Nitro 2wd it runs fine on this fuel. His motor is a little more than mine though.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 PM
nitroexpress

Default RE: Jato W/3.3 overheating

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

Neighbor kid has brought me his Jato 2wd RC Nitro Car. I believe it has the Revo 3.3??? not sure.
The problem is it seems to be getting hot. I don't have a temp guage but the entire car was warm
and the medal plate underneath was almost to hot to touch.
I am pretty sure it is in the tuning. Thing is i don't know if it is in the high speed screw or the idle
Kid was spinning it around quite a bit when this happend also. It idles good and has good top end speed also.
I did not see much smoke coming from it so i did change the idle screw to where it still idles good but puts out
a tad more smoke.
Fuel is about a yr. or so old. Traxxas 10% nitro fuel. Came in Metal can and was just opened. Don't know if it goes bad
or not. I use the same fuel and have no problem.
I have a Nitro 2wd it runs fine on this fuel. His motor is a little more than mine though.
10% nitro is too low. Use 20% or 33% Idle screw will not richen the mixture. Try CCW on LSN and/or HSN.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM
kid chuckles

ccw lsn don't know what these abbreviations mean sorry.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM
nitroexpress

CCW - counter clockwise-CW - clockwise--LSN - low speed needle-HSN - high speed needle- Sorry, this forum is not allowing me to use proper punctuation.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM
kid chuckles

Thanks i did my best to figure it out. Dumb bunny here lol. Will try 20% i have a gal. allready. I have always used the 10% Traxxas fuel in mine but it is not as big a motor as this kid has.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Problem #1, Traxxas fuel is rubbish. Use better fuel - Byron's, Odonells, Blue Thunder, Werks, Trinity, etc. work fine.
Problem #2, Idle mixture needle controls fuel mixture from idle to 3/4 throttle, the main needle covers the last 25% throttle range up to WOT. A truly overheating ABC engine will quit when it's too hot. Head screws sometimes come loose. Best thing to do when suspecting overheating is richen both needles 1/2-1 turn a d re-tune. Main needle first, lean it to peak power (highest/smoothest rpm) then richen 1/8 turn. Idle needle needs to be leaned enough to give snappy throttle response and allow the engine to idle for 15 seconds or more and after be able to hit the throttle and not get a sputter or blubber when throttling up.

The lower the nitro the hotter the engine will run. The size of the engine has no bearing on how much nitro it can take. Some can handle 40% right out of the box where others will only tolerate 5-10%.