Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Competitive SCT

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competitive SCT

Some guys have started a local track about 30 minutes from me, and they race SCTs (2wd and 4wd) every 5 weeks. I would like to get me something to start racing. Nothing super-duper competitive because most guys are just running Slash's, but something quality would be nice. I was thinking the Durango DESC210 RTR? My LHS has it for $280 and it's brushless and everything from the box. I figure in stock form it should be able to woop up on most 2wd Slash's, as long as I'm half decent at driving? Any other good options for racing? I'd like to stay in the realm of vehicles my LHS has parts for, so that's important.

PS: I already have two chargers, lipos, a 2.4ghz radio that I use for all my cars, and all other general supplies.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 PM
B3nno8

Default RE: Competitive SCT

all comes down to what parts they have lol. im getting a losi ten scte but thdy are a high end sct. you could look at the hpi blitz, traxxas slash or lrp sct. all comes down to how much you want to spend on a truck.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM
ElectricGuy007

I have a 2wd and 4wd SC10. I pretty sure they are competitive. I plan on racing them indoor and outdoors.
Both are brushless, my 4wd SC10 has a the copperhead 4500kv 550 system and my 2wd has a 17.5 setup.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM
JRN110

i second the HPI Blitz RTR they are relatively cheap and very durable trucks they are quite fast about 30MPH/50KPH with the stock motor and a LiPo battery and the parts on it are very good quality plus they come with another 2.4ghz radio for you it is also 2WD but quite easy to handle. If your going to be racing alot i would upgrade the steering servo cause its a bit sluggish and you may want to upgrade the tires as they are meant for bashing but are still ok to race with. The Bltz is also quite good for bashing as it is tough and has high quality parts im thinking about getting one i would mainly be using it for bashing and occasional racing so im going to leave it stock standard if you have any more questions here is the website:http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/105832/
also talk to Foxy (Head Mod) he seems to know quite a bit about the HPIs also here is one review i found of it (older version though):http://www.bigsquidrc.com/rc-reviews/hpi-blitz-review/
hope this helped
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not the head mod dude, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

The Blitz is indeed good value for what you get. I'm not a big HPI fan, but I know a lot about their stuff because my LHS is an HPI dealer. The Blitz is particularly good, amongst a few other good models that HPI still produces, unfortunately most of the recent releases have been somewhat disappointing. I've seen Blitzes take serious punishment. Funny thing is the RTR is more durable than the ESE pro version.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I'm not the head mod dude, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

The Blitz is indeed good value for what you get. I'm not a big HPI fan, but I know a lot about their stuff because my LHS is an HPI dealer. The Blitz is particularly good, amongst a few other good models that HPI still produces, unfortunately most of the recent releases have been somewhat disappointing. I've seen Blitzes take serious punishment. Funny thing is the RTR is more durable than the ESE pro version.
I knew you would pick up on this comment...
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 AM
JRN110

sorry foxy CAR MODERATOR lol
Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One day I'll be king of the world! Til then...
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they have slash's, then no need to go durango just to beat them. SC10's or blitz will do the job and be easier on the wallet.
Some of them may have low CG chassis mods to their slash's, which does make them better. But taking a basher truck and making it into a race truck just isnt as good as starting with a truck meant for racing. And if they have the stock slash chassis', then a sc10 is all you would need to crush them.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Some guys have started a local track about 30 minutes from me, and they race SCTs (2wd and 4wd) every 5 weeks. I would like to get me something to start racing. Nothing super-duper competitive because most guys are just running Slash's, but something quality would be nice. I was thinking the Durango DESC210 RTR? My LHS has it for $280 and it's brushless and everything from the box. I figure in stock form it should be able to woop up on most 2wd Slash's, as long as I'm half decent at driving? Any other good options for racing? I'd like to stay in the realm of vehicles my LHS has parts for, so that's important.

PS: I already have two chargers, lipos, a 2.4ghz radio that I use for all my cars, and all other general supplies.
hey m8, its good to have u back....

Im a huge fan of the durango sesc210... its on my want list...

for a detailed revirws check out this link.... [link=http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130622]here[/link]

Ive had my slash on a fast hight bite carpet track.... it sucked.... i got mine bicycling exiting a tight turn leading onto a banked long sweeping bend and heapse of understeer changing diresction. IMO any low COG trusk like the DESC210 will kill the slash on the bends and wouldent need much skill/track experiance to do so... as for a low traction track it will still have a adjantage, but driving skill and style will play a bigger impact.... but saying that a low COG truck is going to be more consistent and I dare say easier to drive......

have fun... I can just imagine a big smile seeing a $280 DESC210 annihilating these $350 pluss slash's with hundreds worth of electronics and RPM/Proline upgrades...