Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

ABC hobby ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM
jasonak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABC hobby ?

Hi
Was wanting to get cheap on road car saw these ones at abc hobby anyone know anything about them ? couldnt find much in the forums.

http://www.abchobbyusa.com/gridrtr.aspx

thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 AM
iexion

Default RE: ABC hobby ?

I really like those but they are not really known in the U.S. The only issue is parts availability... Looking at the site it looks like a few places in the U.S. sells their stuff
Was looking at the RWD cars and if I had some extra $$$... anyways

For the price of that you can find other options that will have better parts availability.

www.amainhobbies.com has a good selections of RTR and Kits
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 AM
gokemidoro

Hey, jasonak,

I know this is late, but I haven't been here for ages. Just came on to see what was up, and found this....

I have everything ABC sells, and can attest that they are very well made cars for the price.

ABC Grid: Most probably the fastest FWD for the price. It willsmoke a Tamiya M05 all day long! Even the highly modified M05's can't do much better than even with a bone-stock Grid! Unfortunately, they are also banned at most tracks across the country, which is a shame, since they are the next level of performance above Tamiya's M05 series.

ABC Goose: RWDis not so great, but if you are interested, the Goose is the QUIETEST2WD chassis I have ever had. It is belt drive, and does reasonably well with a 27T motor. I wouldn't recommend anything faster than that, because the Goose will only spin uncontrollably.

ABC Genetic: While the most expensive of the three ABCchassis, it is 4WD, and the design is an older one, but it comes in two variants....The standard plastic chassis, and a carbon chassis version. It is also VERYsmooth in operation, and fast? I'm running a brushed 12t in mine, and using it presently as a drifter, but if I mount grip tires to it, it will rocket to 45-50MPH!

Of the three, you can't go wrong with either the Grid or Genetic. I suggest if you go Genetic, get the carbon version. Lotsa bling, for a good price, considering what it would cost you to do an option chassis set. The other two have option chassis sets, but are almost prohibitively expensive. You'll actually have a stiffer, nicer looking chassis for a better price, by getting the carbon Genetic.

The source I go to for them is: TQRC Racing, in Chino, CA. They have an extensive list of stock replacement and option parts for all three models, their bodies are also extensive, and they have old-school and new model bodies for all the chassis, and will ship to AK, I'm sure. Their prices are fair, and they have excellent online service. Their In-store service is GREAT! Try their website.

EDIT:

Go to rcmini.net and they have tons of info on just about every "M" class chassis available. The Grid is in there, and they may have a mini-review of the Genetic, as well.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 AM
nixzero

I've been interested in these as well, mostly for the awesome bodies.  I really want the MR2 AW11 body that comes with the Goose chassis, but it sounds like the Goose is the most difficult to drive.  Thing is, I want something that can keep up with my 1/10 brushed Losi XXX-S touring car for messing around.  So, even though it would cost a lot more, I'm thinking of getting a Genetic chassis and adding an MR2 body.

My concern is that unlike the Genetic, the Goose has lay-down shocks, so I'm not sure the MR2 shell would fit on the Genetic.  Any idea if it would fit Gokemidoro?  Also, thanks for sharing TQRC, nice site for 1/12 stuff.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: nixzero

I've been interested in these as well, mostly for the awesome bodies. I really want the MR2 AW11 body that comes with the Goose chassis, but it sounds like the Goose is the most difficult to drive. Thing is, I want something that can keep up with my 1/10 brushed Losi XXX-S touring car for messing around. So, even though it would cost a lot more, I'm thinking of getting a Genetic chassis and adding an MR2 body.

My concern is that unlike the Genetic, the Goose has lay-down shocks, so I'm not sure the MR2 shell would fit on the Genetic. Any idea if it would fit Gokemidoro? Also, thanks for sharing TQRC, nice site for 1/12 stuff.

As it happens, I have all three ABC chassis, and my Goose is fitted with the MR2 body! As it so happens, I fitted the MR2 body to my Genetic, and it will, in fact, fit! Just barely, but it does settle nicely onto the Genetic chassis! The Genetic would be my recommendation, as it has enough traction and handling to go head-to-head with a XXX-S. Tip: Get the USR "naked" carbon chassis. It costs more, but it has things on it the plastic chassis doesn't have, and is markedly lighter, which will help in the handling department. There's a thread on the Tamiya M05 here where we have discussed the merits of the Genetic. You might want to check it out, as there is some info you may find useful, that I'd rather not have to repeat here. And TQRC Racing is my source for all things "M" class! Their prices are more than competitive, and they have free shipping on many items they advertise. I would recommend you apply to their weekly newsletter. It has everything new they stock, and some stuff goes out-of-stock rather quickly!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 PM
nixzero

Thanks for checking the fit of the MR2 body, that's a big help! I didn't know about the Naked USR version, thanks for sharing! It's definitely the way to go if I get a Genetic, but they're hard to find, I've only managed to find some for sale on forum classifieds.So, the Goose with the MR2 body was a bit of a no-brainer as it's sold ARTR for around $170 (toysonics). However, if I'm just putting the MR2 shell on a chassis, should I look into Tamiya's (or any other manufacturer's) M chassis' as well? It seems like the ABC Hobbies models would outclass a Tamiya, especially if I went with the Genetic (AFAIK Tamiya doesn't offer a 4WD M chassis?), but I'm worried about finding parts. Are there any other M class cars I don't know about that might give me a better balance of performance and parts availability?Lol, ironically I was checking to see if I might be able to use the body on my Traxxas Rally, and found that while the MR2 body won't fit on the Rally, you CAN use a Rally body on the Genetic, you just need offset wheels. That made me wonder, do these cars use 1/10 wheels/tires, or do they have their own specific size?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM
ToraKitsu

Don't mind my saying........but you can buy direct from ABC, on their website. Then you can get everything you'll need from the source. Their prices are just a bit higher than elsewhere, but for most of the option parts, that's where you'll have access to them all, as many outlets that offer ABC stuff don't stock everything. Case in point - the front one-way diff for the Genetic is not offered anywhere that I know of, except ABC, which is the one option part I recommend for the Genetic that makes the biggest performance gain. As far as putting an ABC body on an M05....might as well just get the Grid, because the BONE STOCK Grid will blow the doors off a modified M05 all day. Tamiya DOES make an "M" class 4WD, but I think it's no longer being offered, unless you find one on E-bay, but it will be going for a ridiculous price. It's a mini-version of the VDF, and wasn't too popular, because it required a 380 motor, if one wanted BL power. It was going for more than $400 when it was available (as a kit), and I can't imagine what it would be going for now, provided one can find one. And unfortunately, there aren't very many choices in the "M" class available right now. That's not to say it won't change, but you'll have to wait. For now, however, the ABC Hobby Genetic has some support (like at TQRC), and ABC Hobby does have a distributor in CA, so parts and rollers can still be had. ABC cars use standard "M" class wheels, HOWEVER.........I have mounted 52mm 1/10th wheels to my USR Genetic, along with a clear Traxxas Ford Fiesta body custom painted, and made it a "mini-drifter!" IT WORKS! I'm sure if you wanted to make a grip chassis, that would also work. You'll need 9 or 10mm offset wheels if you use a 1/16th Traxxas body. I got mine from TQRC, as well. The Genetic has shown itself to be an excellent chassis to mod for grip OR drift! I ran my Genetic for the first year as a grip car, then modded for drift, and the Genetic has been easily modded to do both! All I have to do is loosen the rear ball diff (since it runs a front one-way), mount grip tires, and GO! To go back to drift, tighten rear diff, remount the drift tires, and it's ready to drift! I love my Genetic! It's a great chassis!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: ToraKitsu

Don't mind my saying........but you can buy direct from ABC, on their website. Then you can get everything you'll need from the source. Their prices are just a bit higher than elsewhere, but for most of the option parts, that's where you'll have access to them all, as many outlets that offer ABC stuff don't stock everything. Case in point - the front one-way diff for the Genetic is not offered anywhere that I know of, except ABC, which is the one option part I recommend for the Genetic that makes the biggest performance gain. As far as putting an ABC body on an M05....might as well just get the Grid, because the BONE STOCK Grid will blow the doors off a modified M05 all day. Tamiya DOES make an "M" class 4WD, but I think it's no longer being offered, unless you find one on E-bay, but it will be going for a ridiculous price. It's a mini-version of the VDF, and wasn't too popular, because it required a 380 motor, if one wanted BL power. It was going for more than $400 when it was available (as a kit), and I can't imagine what it would be going for now, provided one can find one. And unfortunately, there aren't very many choices in the "M" class available right now. That's not to say it won't change, but you'll have to wait. For now, however, the ABC Hobby Genetic has some support (like at TQRC), and ABC Hobby does have a distributor in CA, so parts and rollers can still be had. ABC cars use standard "M" class wheels, HOWEVER.........I have mounted 52mm 1/10th wheels to my USR Genetic, along with a clear Traxxas Ford Fiesta body custom painted, and made it a "mini-drifter!" IT WORKS! I'm sure if you wanted to make a grip chassis, that would also work. You'll need 9 or 10mm offset wheels if you use a 1/16th Traxxas body. I got mine from TQRC, as well. The Genetic has shown itself to be an excellent chassis to mod for grip OR drift! I ran my Genetic for the first year as a grip car, then modded for drift, and the Genetic has been easily modded to do both! All I have to do is loosen the rear ball diff (since it runs a front one-way), mount grip tires, and GO! To go back to drift, tighten rear diff, remount the drift tires, and it's ready to drift! I love my Genetic! It's a great chassis!!!!
Agree with all this, and after checking around, ABC Hobby direct is the way to go, as I haven't found anywhere else that carries them.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
nixzero

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I resolved to get an MR2 body and use a Genetic chassis, but I was having a hard time finding the MR2 body by itself, let alone the Naked USR chassis.  However, I contacted ABC and they're hooking me up with a Genetic kit with an MR2 shell!  It's the standard chassis, not the Naked one, but at least this way I won't be stuck paying for a body I don't need.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM
ToraKitsu

Well, plastic or carbon, you can't go wrong! You should get either the front one-way or the spool, too. Either will greatly improve the Genetic's handling, and you will see better performance, in the acceleration department. A good source for parts is TQRC Racing online, but I do know they're out of the front one-way, though I think the spool may still be available. If you get the Genetic, they're a good source for parts. I suggest you subscribe to their weekly newsletter, because it appears in your E-mail, and has updates on what's new, what's restocked, etc. They're the only source, besides ABC direct, for parts. Might benefit you, and they do have other chassis available, both on- and off-road, that you might be interested in, down the road, so to speak!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
nixzero

Well, the car is on it's way.  Of course, I kept messing around online and came across the Atomic RC VM-II.  That is one nice-looking chassis, almost nice enough to be giving me buyer's remorse!  Oh well, the grass is always greener...

Still, the VM-II is one sweet looking chassis, and has lots of aluminum/carbon for a comparable price to other plastic kits.  Just from seeing pics, I'm surprised these aren't more well-known.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM
ToraKitsu

I saw the VM II also, a few years ago. Is the one you saw offered by HKS Hobby, or something like that? STAY AWAY, if so. HKS Hobby is a "fly-by-night" operation. They have a shop in CA, and I've been there. Never open, calls never returned, and online orders sometimes take two to three weeks (or more!) to arrive, (if they do) no matter what shipping you prefer. The VM II IS a nice chassis, but as always, it's the vendor that is the caveat. I bought an XEvo mod kit for my M05 a couple of years ago from them, and it took 3 1/2 weeks to arrive! I had it shipped priority mail. I looked at the shipping history, and they didn't even drop it off to the post office, until three days before I got it! Look them up online - they don't have very good reviews or comments concerning how they operate. some folk never received what they ordered, and some have never resolved other issues with them. If you find a vendor other than HKS, that sells the VM II, please let ME know! I wouldn't mind having one of those, either! Oh, and don't be worried about "buyer's remorse." You'll be pleasantly surprised by the Genetic's competency! It's a great-handling chassis! "M" class chassis aren't very popular, and I don't really know why. They're so much fun, and less expensive to build/run. Tamiya released the "M-Four" (A "mini" version of their TA05 VDF drift chassis) a couple of years ago, and it flopped BADLY. The weird thing? If you can find one, take a look at it's price. CRAZY expensive! "M" class drivers are fanatical about them. Me? Not so much, but I do love my minis!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
nixzero

Yeah, having not heard of Atomic RC, I was already sketchy. ABC Hobby responded promptly, and I got my Genetic just 2 days after ordering.I think it's safe to say that buyer's remorse completely fell away after taking a look just at the body. I thought I'd be stuck making my own light buckets and whatnot, but this body kit is incredibly detailed. Granted, I usually build bashers, but I can see why they're charging $50 for mini bodies now. I ordered a handful of old brushed ESCs to get her moving, seems like everything's gone brushless since I last bought electronics.Any recommendations on a decent ESC/motor combo under $75?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM
ToraKitsu

Oh, no....Atomik makes good stuff....It's HKS Hobby that's sketchy. I wouldn't take the chance of ordering from them anymore, and the VM II is only available through them, it seems. Are you talking brushed or BL? I recommend, for brushed, just about anything, since the Genetic will run on any combo, but for BL, I recommend LRP's Spin Super/LRP Vector combo, but those are $130. It's what I'm using now, in 13.5T, and it screams. The Spin's ESC can be adjusted to 50%, so it's fine for drift, too! I have used Traxxas' XL-5, with an Orion 15T motor, in brushed, and that worked well, and it's close to $75, maybe a little more for the combo, but like I say, just about anything will work, which makes the flexibility of the Genetic one of it's best selling points. If you're doing grip driving with it, adjust about 2 degrees negative camber on all four wheels, and if using the stock front diff, tighten it up pretty tight. That will help the Genetic track better at speed, and corner harder. Just adjust the rear diff till it doesn't slip, and it's fine. Yup.....ABC bodies are some of the best detailed bodies available for "M" class. Not even Tamiya makes as many different types, and they ask waaaay more for theirs, than ABC does.