Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Question on Wing build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Question on Wing build

Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question on Wing build

ORIGINAL: mattnew

Too add to my question.. I've always up until recently believed this as well. But there are now numerous glue joint-strength tests that show that epoxy is actually weaker than other glues.... I'm trying to understand if I'm missing something here.
You can always just bolt it!
TB

Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Epoxy is the tried and true method that was always used in older kits back from when I started 30 years ago. However I think many types will work.. I would probably still use slow epoxy..
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use CA, won't you need to have the wing halves clamped tightly together before applying the CA? I can't see dropping CA on the inner ribs and then trying to join the halves of the wing and get them perfectly aligned before the CA sets up. And if they are clamped together and you drop CA along the outer edges of the joint, how far will it penetrate toward the center of the ribs? I'm not saying that using CA is bad here. I'm just asking how far it will migrate and will that be far enough to get a really good joint.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JP, the OP said thick and thin both. I would guess the thick would be in the middle and allow a little time for alignment and hit the edges with thin.

This whole thread has been the most civil discussion of glue types in here for a long time. It's nice to see.

I'm like most of you guys using CA very sparingly and other glues for most of my chores. Someone mentioned Sigment, I love the Sig wood glue. In my experience it sands just as good as balsa especially when edge gluing wing skins. Right behind it I'm a Gorilla glue guy and general epoxy last. Unless it's for doing glass or carbon and then it's West finishing resin.
I've seen too many poorly joined wings with epoxy, never seen a GG wing fail yet. I even do Dubro hinges with the stuff.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As was said here before, most glues that you use will make a bond that is stronger than the wood it is holding together. The balsa almost always breaks before a proper glue joint.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with a good grade of 30 min epoxy and avoid the heart attack![:@]