Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is it possible glow to petrol

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is it possible glow to petrol

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM
up_in_smoke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible glow to petrol

Is it possible it to convert a asp 108 glow 2 stroke engine to petrol i know whats needed to do it but is it safe to do it with a abc engine
Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Is it possible glow to petrol

Sure it can be done. Many of the new Evolution, Saito, and OS gas engines are conversions from their glow engines. I'm not an engine expert, so if I miss a point please don't crucify me guys. I think that the changes are a gas carburetor, spark plug instead of a glow plug, a sensor on the output shaft for the ignition, and an ignition system. It's definitely not impossible as the big engine makers are doing it now. 

I'm hoping somebody with more engine experience than I have will come in and get you more info on this. 

Ken
Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

It's actualyl cheaper if you buy a gas engine to start with. The conversion is expensive, carb, ignition, sensors, etc.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM
up_in_smoke

i all ready have the parts for converting it apart from the carb also does the carb have to be changed or can it be done with the stock carb
Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your asking if you an use a glow carb on a gas engine, the answer is no, their two totally different setups. this will also be the most difficult part, finding a carb with the correct ports maybe very difficult
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Every conversion I've seen has used a Walbro or Zama carb off of a piece of lawn equipment. One thing to consider is that unless you drill out the bottom hole on the connecting rod and install a roller bearing, you'll still have to use a high oil content to keep it lubricated.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

There is no reason a glow carb would not work after replacing the O rings with gas safe ones. It just wont have a pump. A bushed rod is no issue as long as enough oil is used. Power output will be lower as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

True, but I thought the whole point of doing a gas conversion was to have less cleanup and save money on fuel? Having to run 20% oil (or whatever it would take) would cut into the savings dramatically. What's the point in fooling with it if it isn't going to work as well as one of the new factory built engines?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

True, but I thought the whole point of doing a gas conversion was to have less cleanup and save money on fuel? Having to run 20% oil (or whatever it would take) would cut into the savings dramatically. What's the point in fooling with it if it isn't going to work as well as one of the new factory built engines?
There is no point to it. With the price to convert you can buy any number of the new smaller gas engines that are purpose built. Gas/oil mix is usually around 32 to 1 and there is nothing to clean up at the end of the day. A gallon of gas mixed is about $4.00. There are a number of threads about the new small gas engines in the gas engine forum. There are a couple of engines designed for 60 size planes now that a lot of users are writing about. Converting is like trying to reinvent the wheel.