Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

asp 108 glow 2 stroke engine to petrol

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
up_in_smoke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default asp 108 glow 2 stroke engine to petrol

Is it possible it to convert a asp 108 glow 2 stroke engine to petrol i know whats needed to do it but is it safe to do it with a abc engine
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: asp 108 glow 2 stroke engine to petrol

In the past, ABC engines have not been successful in glow to gas conversions.

To my surprise the new 10cc Evolution gas engine is made by the same company and is ABC
Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And all the new Evo engines (15, 20, 33) are ringed. May be Horizon learned something that we should heed.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, yes you can convert it. The only major trick to it, is that you need to run a 20:1 to 25.:1 oil ratio as the connecting rod is bushed and doesn't have needle bearings on it.

Now to convert it, you need to make a Walbro carb adapter and run a small Walbro carb using about a  10mm venturi bore. Then you need to determine top dead center for the piston and a place on the drive washer to mount a small neodymium magnet (you drill a small hole and glue in the magnet). The ignition hall effect sensor can be zip tied temporarily or permanently for that matter, with the timing set about 28 degrees in adavance of top dead center. Some guys drill and tap the front bearing hub to mount the timing sensor holder too. But you have to pull the front bearing out to do it though. Others have machined up a aluminum ring for the timing sensor and sometimes for the magnet too. You can use set screws to clamp the ring(s) in place as desired too.  You can get a CDI ignition unit with a 1/4/32 spark plug cap. Then you are in business. In some odd cases you may have to make a head gasket shim to lower the compression a little, if you have a high compression Zero nitro glow fuel engine.

If you don't have access to some tools and machining equipment, if needed, you can contact CH-Ignitions about having them make the adapters and fitting the timing sensor for you too. If they don't already had the engine in to make the ignition setup for you, you need to send the engine to them for it. There is a small business that specializes in making Walbro carb adapters too. But I forget who it is at the moment.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Well, yes you can convert it. ...
I have an original Sig Kadet, How do I join the Brotherhood? (I also have a 1/4 scale Sig Cub. an NIB Sig Kougar, and I
flew to pieces a Sig Kadet Jr.) I also have an ASP 108.

Thanks.

Richard,
Club SAITO #635
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spaceworm, just go to the Model Kit building category and this thread here and ask to join up http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 AM
spaceworm

Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 AM
spaceworm

Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Richard