Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Flash 5 and Laser 4 compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Go-n-up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash 5 and Laser 4 compatibility?

I bought a trainer cord but found that it doesn't work with my Flash 5 and Laser 4 transmitters. When plugged in, with either radio as the master (and the slave powered off, of course), all response is lost to the model (nothing works, servos or motor). Did I get a defective trainer cord, or are these different model HiTec radios unsuitable for use together with a trainer cord?

I had assumed, since the plug-in jacks on both radios are identical, that channels 1 thru 4 would be wired the same on both transmitters for the trainer cord.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flash 5 and Laser 4 compatibility?

ORIGINAL: Go-n-up
I bought a trainer cord but found that it doesn't work with my Flash 5 and Laser 4 transmitters.
When plugged in, with either radio as the master (and the slave powered off, of course), all response is lost to the model (nothing works, servos or motor).
Did I get a defective trainer cord, or are these different model HiTec radios unsuitable for use together with a trainer cord?
I had assumed, since the plug-in jacks on both radios are identical, that channels
1 thru 4 would be wired the same on both transmitters for the trainer cord.
1. "I bought a trainer cord" trust this is a genuine Hitec One Way Trainer cord
. Trainer - Buddy Cord Warning: Use only Hitec One Way Cord between Futaba & Hitec TX - never a Futaba cable.
also appplies to not using Futaba cables with Hitec <>Hitec.

2. Both transmitters must have own battery pack. Even though the Laser looks like an older model, it is computerised internally.
The Flash 4/5 was one of the first computerised transmitters and the internal set up meant that early slave versions also had to be turned on.
- remove crystal from slave to prevent extraneous rf emissions and extend battery run time.

For full information, refer to:.
. Hitec Aurora Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up - includes older Hitec models.
. Hitec Buddy - Trainer Box Compatibility & Battery requirements.
. Hitec Trainer (Buddy) System Update - New "Stereo Plug" system and how to use
. Hitec - Futaba Tactic Anylink Module Compatibility, Cables & Setup

. Hitec Flash 4 & 4SX - Hitec Flash 5 & 5SX Manuals & FAQ

3. Never assume (ass<>U<>me) that anything in the RC world will be the same.
Have been caught out myself with a transmitters being incorrectly changed mode 1 <> mode 2 .
(channels 2&3 were not transferred electronically).

See also sub Section "Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes, Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan T.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Go-n-up

1. ''I bought a trainer cord'' trust this is a genuine Hitec One Way Trainer cord

2. Both transmitters must have own battery pack. Even though the Laser looks like an older model, it is computerised internally
Alan, the trainer cord is Hitec One-Way (master-slave). Also, one of the links you provided states that a Laser works as slave with the battery removed.

Years ago, I had a trainer cord and two Laser 4 transmitters. Everything worked great with the master powered up and the slave switched off.

Now, I have one Flash 5, one Laser 4 and a recently purchased Hitec trainer cord. I thought (assumed, again) that the Flash 5 computer radio would have to be the master and the Laser 4 as slave. It didn't work with the Laser 4 powered off or with it powered on with crystal removed. Both ways, there is some kind of interaction between the radios that screws up the Flash 5's signal. Nothing on the model will respond, either to the slave, or to the master until I unplug the trainer cord. That's why I questioned if there is something wrong with this particular trainer cord's wiring (or, maybe the wiring to the jack on one of the radios?), or if there is some incompatibility between a Flash 5 and Laser 4.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:30 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Go-n-up
1. ''I bought a trainer cord'' trust this is a genuine Hitec One Way Trainer cord
2. Both transmitters must have own battery pack. Even though the Laser looks like an older model, it is computerised internally
Alan, the trainer cord is Hitec One-Way (master-slave).
Also, one of the links you provided states that a Laser works as slave with the battery removed.
Years ago, I had a trainer cord and two Laser 4 transmitters. Everything worked great with the master powered up and the slave switched off.
Now, I have one Flash 5, one Laser 4 and a recently purchased Hitec trainer cord. I
thought (assumed, again) that the Flash 5 computer radio would have to be the master and the Laser 4 as slave.
It didn't work with the Laser 4 powered off or with it powered on with crystal removed.
Both ways, there is some kind of interaction between the radios that screws up the Flash 5's signal.
Nothing on the model will respond, either to the slave, or to the master until I unplug the trainer cord.
That's why I questioned if there is something wrong with this particular trainer cord's wiring
(or, maybe the wiring to the jack on one of the radios?), or if there is some incompatibility between a Flash 5 and Laser 4
Have Flash 5SX but missing a Laser 4/6 from my present collection to recheck now, but from my earlier tests:
. Hitec Buddy - Trainer Box Compatibility & Battery requirements.
extract:
"Flash 4 or 5 to Flash will not buddy without battery in slave and in some combinations, the slave TX must also be turned on
- always remove xtal from slave in these instances."
Have just revamped my earlier schematics for both the new three part trainer cable pack #58320 and the One Way Cable #58310, as attached.
These will enable you to use a multi meter to verify your cable is correct.
If problems stil exist, suggest remove rear case of each transmitter then check the wiring at rear of sockets has not been crimped/broken when
case closed or any individual socket is not loose and pushing back when plug is inserted leading to a poor if any connection. Refer additional .jpg
showing libe pin voltages - always remove battery and cycle switch, to kill any power retained in caps, before opening Tx.

Otherwise, please refer direct to:
Hitec Warranty & Service - homepage.
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.
"Hitec USA customer service department is available Monday through Friday*
from 7am- 4:30 pm Pacific time. Reach us at 858.748.8440 or
[email protected] any time you have a question"
• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97223.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1876686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60989.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1876687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42264.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1876688  
Old 04-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Go-n-up

ORIGINAL: A.T.

Extract:
''Flash 4 or 5 to Flash will not buddy without battery in slave and in some combinations, the slave TX must also be turned on
- always remove xtal from slave in these instances.''
Alan T.
But, the preceding line states:
"Eclipse, Optic 6 & Prism to Laser 4 & 6 or Focus 4 & 6. Laser or Focus battery may be removed - Focus battery indicator and other functions operate normally when Master TX turned on. Laser visual and audio indicators and other functions power up and operate normally when Master TX is turned on.

Your extract:
"Flash 4 or 5 to Flash will not buddy without battery in slave and in some combinations, the slave TX must also be turned on - always remove xtal from slave in these instances".

I would think that my Flash 5 to Laser 4 would be applicable to the first set-up where a Laser is the slave, rather than the one you quoted, which is for two Flash transmitters hooked together.

Am I missing something there?

I will open up the transmitter cases and check the wiring to the plug-in jacks. I'll also use an ohmmeter to check continuity on the trainer cord using the schematic you provided. Thanks for that info.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 AM
Go-n-up

A continuity check showed that my trainer cord was bad (thanks again for that wiring diagram). Yesterday, I received a new trainer cord from Tower Hobbies and now everything works perfectly.

BTW, my need for a trainer cord is a little different from most users. I've been flying with a fellow for about 10 years and his vision has steadily been degrading due to macular degeneration. He still loves to fly and enjoys the associated comradery at the field, but he has gotten very discouraged lately after multiple crashes due to difficulty in maintaining solid visual contact with the model. With him on the student end of the trainer cord he will be able to get in a lot of stick time, while I'll be able to immediately recover from any difficulty he gets into.