Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

dope replacement

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

dope replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:45 AM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dope replacement

I am covering my Guillow converted kit with lightweight silkspan, and my PT20 with heayyweight silkspan. Both are electric power.

Is there an adhesive I can get at my local Carr Hardware that can replace the traditional dope? I want it to stretch neatly, as well as with dope, but it don't need to be fuelproof.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:25 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: dope replacement

I used to apply my silkspan on with elmers white glue when i was a kid, only because it was easily available to me. ( my father was a carpenter) It can be cut with water & brushed on, then apply the silkspan, & let dry. I have not tried what i'm about to suggest to you next, but Minwax polycrylic is water based & you might try brushing it on over your silkspan. Once it dries it i would think it be tight as a drum & should be available at a hardware store or Lowes. I use it on Koverall & it seals it up nicely......Gene
Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Deft Sanding Lacquer Sealer to lay on my fiber glass cloth and see no reason it couldn't work on silk span. Do all the edges first then add a few coats then spritz the span to shrink then slather the deft on just like dope. I buy the Deft at Lowe's.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:41 PM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gene is slather a NV word[X(]
Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 AM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Nearly forty years ago when I was a preteen there was no LHS where I lived. In building my first real flying kit, A Midwest Jetstream glider, I resorted to using shellac. As I recall the model was covered with tissue. If I recall correctly I adhered the covering with the shellac and shrunk it with a spray bottle of water, then gave it a coat of shellac. As I recall it shrank up nicely and had a semigloss finish. Shellac is nice in that it has relatively low toxicity and easy cleanup. Since it was such a long time ago I would suggest that you get a pint can and dry it on some scrap material just to be sure. All that being said, everyone ought to build at least one doped model.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: goirish

Gene is slather a NV word[X(]
It's a word with a lot of descriptive power. Deft is a lot thinner then dope or resin and I cover the glass in a hurry with it so tend to slather it on. Good stuff!! With about 80% of it gassing off it is also very light weight. I just never have used it to cover with silk span.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested to hear replies. Adhering the tissue (I use silk span on many models) is easy. Many good options have been suggested. I am looking forward to seeing what folks use to protect the tissue after it has shrunk. Even if fuel proofing is not a necessity, protecting the tissue is. The traditional 50/50 dope to thinner has always worked well for me.