Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Update: FEJ F-14 (Time is up!)

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Update: FEJ F-14 (Time is up!)

Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update: FEJ F-14 (Time is up!)

I to work with FEJ in a positive manner, but nothing is happening. With that, I want to let FEJ know that I am no longer interested in working with them. I do not want anything from them other than FEJ improving the utilization of honeycomb in their planes and provide a fix for all the people who have paper weight F-14s. Many of you have reached out to me and were convinced that your F-14s were at risk of demise due to poor design and construction. I hope that FEJ will provide a fix for you.

My F-14 was my first and last FEJ plane. I will not buy anything from the reps at RC Jet Direct/Discount Hobbies either.

FYI - To anyone who has an order pending with FEJ... FEJ is trying to sell their company to new owners, but the deal seems to be in limbo. That could put you at risk of not getting your plane. Time to start demanding your money back.

[/size]

This image sums up FEJ's attitude towards customer service.

[Image]http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/172587/Nk27749.jpg[/img]

My original post:

After a couple of weeks of silence, I heard from FEJ today. Fly Eagle has not come to a definitive conclusion on what caused my F-14 to crash, but they are willing to work with me towards a positive solution. I do not have any specifics, but it is obvious from today's correspondence that FEJ is listening to the jet community. It would have been easier for them to walk away, but instead they decided to work with me. I commend them for that. FEJ, I look forward to hearing the details soon.

In an effort to show good faith on my part, I am changing my avatar until FEJ responds. This gesture should show FEJ that we want to work together, but they should also know what we want action.

I am asking everyone who has participated in the F-14 crash thread to give FEJ a chance to step up, which they are telling me they will do. I also want to thank FEJ for responding. Although it took some time, it happened, and I am pleased by that. In the end I hope we all see FEJ succeed as they have some very nice looking aircraft. Finally, I want to thank the modelers who participated in the thread. I've never seen an online community come together like that before. Looking forward to burning kero with you guys soon.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Update: FEJ F-14 (Time is up!)

That is good news that they are willing to work with you towards a positive solution. I hope that you will be able to recoup your loss.

Alas, the crash of your F-14 is only part of the issue. What, if anything, did FEJ say about making their designs structurally and aerodynamically sound (employing real engineering methods) and performing appropriate testing prior to releasing aircraft on the market? Did they mention anything about other customers who already have FEJ kits with poor workmanship (eg. lack of glue in structural area as we've seen in photos on the crash thread) or design flaws such as bolting stab pivot shafts through honeycomb as we saw in Ravi's X-rays.

The jet community did come together, not only because of your loss, but due to the overall root issue which was poor design and manufacturing of many models in their product line.

Regards,

Jim
Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 PM
dubd

Jim,

I am awaiting details on all of the above. I will keep you posted.

Dantley
Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good news Dantley. We will continue to keep pressure on them until this thing is fully resolved or at least moving forward to a full resolution. We've never met but I am looking forward to being able to fly with you sometime.

Andy
Old 04-28-2013, 06:06 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for all modelers is a big step and a positive and know that union is strength, would have happened if no one had recorded the video?, the loss of that plane had stayed silent, here was shown that the union although this is strength is extremely small community is quite large in together and I'm glad a lot, testing the loss of f-14 are there and you have shown fej but have taken some time to respond to the rest Dudd of modelers and future to come, is a huge step by fej who answered beyond answering Dudd because he is responding to the entire community to flying jet
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't know what their response is yet. If they offer a replacement airframe or even a refund than it doesn't really benefit the jet modelling community.

Even if they work with Dantley (and others) to correct the design issues with the F14, it still won't help with build quality or the designs of the other numerous models that they are selling.

It's a step in the right direction but I wouldn't be throwing a party just yet!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: siclick33

We don't know what their response is yet. If they offer a replacement airframe or even a refund than it doesn't really benefit the jet modelling community.

Even if they work with Dantley (and others) to correct the design issues with the F14, it still won't help with build quality or the designs of the other numerous models that they are selling.

It's a step in the right direction but I wouldn't be throwing a party just yet!
True, but the foundation has been laid and all eyes will be on them. They will be under much more scrutiny than before. If this boycott, winds down, and they don't address these issues in their new kits, or simply take care of Dantley and ignore the other safety violations, these threads can always be reactivated again.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 AM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. I'm on the sidelines. I sent numerous e mails to their rep about my jet but no answer. I'm just not sure if formers made from the honeycomb are up to the task.

Good luck to them.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 AM
bang68

Guys !

FEJ only come forward because the world is starting to burn under them .-)

Its an easy calculation when customers are joining forces, so they only help because they see a possible drop in turnover during the next period or years.

They should have been on the spot first time after the incident - so it too late - still shame om FEJ !

Peter B
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 AM
stevekott

Dantly, I think that's great. There's been a lot of posturing about "sticking it to them" and making them pay but at the end of the day there are only a handful of companies making our Jet Models. It's in all of our best interest to make them a better company and keep them around.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Damage control mode. Silence at market price.........
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Keep in mind, they've done this before. Finally they start making promises, everyone gets a warm fuzzy feeling again. It is only a matter of time before the same thing happens again.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to read this.. best thing that could happened to FEJ and also to all the other manufacturers is all the information that surfaced in that thread. Hopefully they will fix the issues and adopt a more rigorous test flying program of their new products before release.

As a sidenote, for everyone interested in this subject may take a look in this rather long video of flight testing a Airbus 380. Even with billions of Euros applied in the program and a workforce of aerospace engineers, hundreds of precise static tests, modern materials and the like, only flight tests at speed can certify if the airframe is correctly built.

Also interesting to notice that it wasn´t the telemetry system that initially detected the problem, but a sound heard by the pilot. (at 3:55)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImSuZjvkATw

Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 AM
skunkworksrc
Banned

Define positive solution? replacing everything you lost or what?
ORIGINAL: dubd

After a couple of weeks of silence, I heard from FEJ today. Fly Eagle has not come to a definitive conclusion on what caused my F-14 to crash, but they are willing to work with me towards a positive solution. I do not have any specifics, but it is obvious from today's correspondence that FEJ is listening to the jet community. It would have been easier for them to walk away, but instead they decided to work with me. I commend them for that. FEJ, I look forward to hearing the details soon.

I am asking everyone who has participated in the F-14 crash thread to give FEJ a chance to step up, which they are telling me they will do. I also want to thank FEJ for responding. Although it took some time, it happened, and I am pleased by that. In the end I hope we all see FEJ succeed as they have some very nice looking aircraft. Finally, I want to thank the modelers who participated in the thread. I've never seen an online community come together like that before. Looking forward to burning kero with you guys soon.

Best,
Dantley
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

That's good news Dantley. I hope it works out for you. As for me, I will never own another fej product. After the loss of my 1/7 F-18 I'm done with them. I do not want to watch another $10, 000 bonfire.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Would be nice if they replaced the jet like for like inc engines etc but I can't see that happening, plus you'll be in a 6 month waiting list for a new airframe!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Everybody put your guns on safely and holster your guns cause Dantley got an email! Really? What about everybody else?
Did everyone else receive an email?
Scott
Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 PM
skunkworksrc
Banned

So what gives, you start this crazy thread and your not going to tell everyone what the "positive solution" is?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:48 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: skunkworksrc

So what gives, you start this crazy thread and your not going to tell everyone what the ''positive solution'' is?
I have absolutely zero information on what the "solution" is. They told me to give them a few days, which is what I am doing.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

So what gives, you start this crazy thread and your not going to tell everyone what the ''positive solution'' is?
dub wrote:

"Fly Eagle has not come to a definitive conclusion on what caused my F-14 to crash, but they are willing to work with me towards a positive solution."

He obviously hasn't heard yet what the "solution" is.

S
Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to RC universe, Skunkworksrc. Does skunkworks imply you respect what those guys did for aviation or your modus operandi for your posting style, i.e. "Skunky"?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 PM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

I have absolutely zero information on what the ''solution'' is. They told me to give them a few days, which is what I am doing.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Typical
Sorry didn't mean to quote the dubd one.
ORIGINAL: ravill

Welcome to RC universe, Skunkworksrc. Does skunkworks imply you respect what those guys did for aviation or your modus operandi for your posting style, i.e. ''Skunky''?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished up my 1/5.5 FEJ F-16.

It is the full fiberglass version with carbon fiber reinforcements in the main wings & the entire mid-section of the fuselage (no honeycomb). I had the retracts converted to electric with Down & Locked here in N.C., doubled the landing gear formers, added extra hysol around the plywood formers for the rudder & elevator servos, replaced wood screws with blind nuts & compression washers for the aluminum elevator servo mounts, replaced all linkages with Hangar 9 titanium rods & Dubro heavy duty ball links, and cut access hatches on the bottom of the speed brakes to reinforce the elevator torque tubes & mounts with hysol.

Definitely spent more time inspecting/upgrading this airframe than I did my 1/8 FEJ F-16 which served me well. Looking forward to a great season of flying.

Hope to have my LTMI complete by Joe Nall or by First in Flight Jet Rally.

Greg Hames

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27523.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1876996  
Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 PM
skunkworksrc
Banned

I wasn't being rude just curious to the responce and I dont care what think of my post. Good Day
ORIGINAL: ravill

Welcome to RC universe, Skunkworksrc. Does skunkworks imply you respect what those guys did for aviation or your modus operandi for your posting style, i.e. "Skunky"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.