Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:33 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

I've gone 180 degrees on this issue....first FOR the OP after all isn't his $$$ valid? Then I began to think about a company that wants to SERVE its customers - PAU apparently wants to do just that, so they will sell parts only to their customers - good for them! I'm in their corner now
Old 04-28-2013, 01:59 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance Aircraft Unlimited - Are you kidding me...you can't be seriuos

How about all this free advertising?

Must be a slow weekend out there... [&:]
Old 04-28-2013, 02:06 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or some bad flying weather....here it is sunny (as always) and pushing 99+ right now......will test fly a Micro Tiger Moth later today....
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
islandflyer

Right! I might get reported and banned from this wonderful place for excessive advertizing!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: impulse09

Must be a slow weekend out there... [&:]
Is that why you're posting?

This type of comment always cracks me up,, as to diminish peoples opinions or points by saying "Go fly something", or "Must be a slow weekend" as if to say anyone posting has no life,, but are they in the same group,, I mean they are here reading and posting too, right??
Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM
impulse09

Glad I can amuse you.

Just trying to keep it light guy. Silly me.

We are talking about toys after all.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm willing to bet Jeff did not care if his Pitts was an ISC, BME, PAU, or any other brand. He simply wanted a cowl for the airplane that was the correct scale. He has enough experience and then some to make whatever changes might be necessary to make it work. I think the simple fact that PAU was not willing to sell him a cowl unless it was specifically to be used on a BME/PAU airplane is what confounded him. I mean what business is it of PAU what Jeff does with the parts once he's paid for them? That's the way it is with the vast majority of companies we do business with. PAU on the other hand chooses to utilize a different business model. No problem, it's perfectly within their rights to do so. And if they think it serves them better in the long run then that is the right way to run their business. However, I might suggest they make said policy perfectly clear on their web site and advertising to avoid similar situations in the future because they are operating differently than 99% of the companies out there.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

PAU you are not doing yourself any favors. From someone that had run a business for a long time, you help someone out and then they buy from you. Simple as that.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:09 PM
impulse09

What about Meister? I believe that they have a similar policy.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Steve, is it true Whittier Narrows is EP only now?
I don't fly any more. But it is the first I have heard that. i have a buddy that flies vintage glow that's where he goes.

Steve
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: impulse09

What about Meister? I believe that they have a similar policy.

I don't know for certain but I would be very surprised since Meister is, essentially, in the business of making parts. I'm pretty sure if I were scratch building a big P-47 and wanted to use a Meister cowl and canopy on it that Dino would sell 'em to me.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I'm willing to bet Jeff did not care if his Pitts was an ISC, BME, PAU, or any other brand. He simply wanted a cowl for the airplane that was the correct scale. He has enough experience and then some to make whatever changes might be necessary to make it work. I think the simple fact that PAU was not willing to sell him a cowl unless it was specifically to be used on a BME/PAU airplane is what confounded him. I mean what business is it of PAU what Jeff does with the parts once he's paid for them? That's the way it is with the vast majority of companies we do business with. PAU on the other hand chooses to utilize a different business model. No problem, it's perfectly within their rights to do so. And if they think it serves them better in the long run then that is the right way to run their business. However, I might suggest they make said policy perfectly clear on their web site and advertising to avoid similar situations in the future because they are operating differently than 99% of the companies out there.

It IS very clear on their website! There are no parts for sale there!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: az3d
From someone that had run a business for a long time, you help someone out and then they buy from you. Simple as that.

Not only that but just how many requests like Jeff's can they possibly get? I find it hard to imagine that people are calling every day asking to buy PAU parts so they can use them on other manufacturer's models. Spare parts are so hard to come by that a cowl or canopy sold to a non-PAU customer every once in a while is going to deplete the supply? Just thinking out loud here. I'm not taking sides and I really don't care how PAU run their business but it just seems a bit strange to me.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: astrohog

Obviously there are parts for sale there as Mr. islandflyer readily admitted he had the cowl and how much it cost.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM
impulse09

I think Meister was trying to combat counterfeiters. I think that as long as you purchase from them or one of their dealers, you're good. Otherwise, you may end up starting a thread. I think Meisters look awesome BTW.

Yes, they (PAU) do sell parts (to their customers), but you have to call/email them about it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 PM
astrohog

From someone that had run a business for a long time, you help someone out and then they buy from you. Simple as that.

Not only that but just how many requests like Jeff's can they possibly get? I find it hard to imagine that people are calling every day asking to buy PAU parts so they can use them on other manufacturer's models. Spare parts are so hard to come by that a cowl or canopy sold to a non-PAU customer every once in a while is going to deplete the supply? Just thinking out loud here. I'm not taking sides and I really don't care how PAU run their business but it just seems a bit strange to me.
Maybe this will help you see another perspective....and this HAS happened!

ABC arf company develops and designs a new 50 cc airplane. They contract with their factory to have a couple prototypes built and airfreighted to them. ABC arf company assembles them with all the current gear and set out to do countless hours of test flying and stress testing. Once the new design is deemed worthy, ABC arf company puts up many thousands of dollars to order a container of whiz-bang new 50cc arfs. The container arrives, the kits are unloaded and warehoused and begin to ship to customers. A month later, a post on one of the forums appears saying such-and-such company is selling the same ABC 50cc whiz-bang 50cc arf for $200.00 less. All of a sudden ABC arf company is under attack on the forums for charging too much (for the plane they designed, tested and developed) and ripping off the modeling community. Now, such-and-such company sells out of said kits in a hurry and pretty soon, customers that bought copied or pirated versions of ABC arf companies plane from such-and-such company are calling ABC arf company for parts! Because WHY? RIGHT! such-and-such company only wanted to make a quick buck, and didn't support their "stolen" airplanes!

Now, you tell me why the owner of ABC arf company would want to sell one part to someone that bought a plane from such-and-such company?

Regards,

Astro
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM
astrohog

Obviously there are parts for sale there as Mr. islandflyer readily admitted he had the cowl and how much it cost.
Did you even bother to go to PAU's website? I did.....there are NO PARTS FOR SALE THERE! WHY, pray tell would PAU have to make any parts policy clear on their website when they don't have parts to sell on their website?? Are you really that dense?

Regards,

Astrohog
Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Tseres

Is this thread still going on.

I'm going to let you guys in on something that you guys aren't thinking about. The OP is not getting a cowl from PAU. No matter what. There is 2 or 3 of you out there that think PAU made a big mistake not selling a cowl to the OP. Your'e wrong.

Most of you never even heard of PAU before. You weren't going to buy a PAU plane anyway. PAU will sell planes because they care about their customers and have a great product for those that are interested.

Just think of this. PAU didn't get on the threads and say that no company should sell the OP anything because he is belligerent and a trouble maker. (Not saying he is. Just using those terms as an example) That would be unacceptable. So why is it OK for an individual to drag a companies name into the mud just because he didn't get his way? As soon as you can answer my Question to yourself. This thread will be over.

PS. If you see me at a flying site. Ask me to let you see my PAU plane. If you're nice I'll let you see it and maybe even let you fly it. If you come up to me spitting and raising he!!. I'll send you packing.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Chad Veich

Did you even bother to go to PAU's website? I did.....there are NO PARTS FOR SALE THERE! WHY, pray tell would PAU have to make any parts policy clear on their website when they don't have parts to sell on their website?? Are you really that dense?

Regards,

Astrohog
I'm not even a little bit interested in getting into a pissing match with you Astrohog. When people need parts for PAU airplanes where do you think they go? Whether they have parts listed on the web site or not they obviously have parts. It would be pretty ludicrous not to have parts for the products you sell. I'm not sure why this is even being discussed since they do have parts as admitted by the owner. To answer your first question by the way, yes, I visited the web site. As for the second question, I have never said PAU HAD to do anything, merely made a suggestion that might save them some frustration in the future. It might strike you as odd but PAU just might be interested in the view points of the r/c community. As for your last question, no comment. If you want to make personal attacks and get into a mud slinging match look elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I bet the cowl is not a direct fit. Why sell a cowl to someone for an airplane they don't sell that probably doesn't fit 'just right' when they can support the few customers who bought that exact model and might actually need a replacement cowl?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 PM
astrohog

I'm not even a little bit interested in getting into a pissing match with you Astrohog.
Pissing match? Me either! I actually just wanted to debate some facts, since there was so much BS and spin and falsities being thrown around in here. I also like it when people want to open their mouth and have an opinion, that they are held accountable for the things they say and back them up with FACTS.

Good Day!

Astro

Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Every business owner gets to develop his/her own business model. Support their current and former customers is part of the PAU business model. Why not sell the part? Having spent time in China, (I'm actually in China now, for work) I wouldn't sell the part unless it's to a former or current customer either. Competition in the model airplane business is stiff. The margins are low and in order to keep prices low, only so much can be held in stock as reserve. If it's my business, I'm going to support my customers. The expense of traveling to and from China, overseeing production and getting the product to market at a reasonable price is paramount to maintaining the business. The economics of running out of parts, and trying to get just certain parts made not in a production run is cost prohibitive, based on manufacturing and shipping the small batch run back to the states. Everything gets copied over here. Doesn't matter if there's a patent or not. There are a few factories over here building the models, and they all know what the other is building and the quality that's being put out. When the business owner is here, the decision is made how much the production run is, how many spares and what's going to fit in the container. Decisions are based on current inventory, how the past inventory has sold and market demand for the current product.

A comment was made about going to Ford/Chevy etc. and getting the correct part. Every manufacturer decides when to stop supporting a product. Still using Microsoft XP? No support there, and Bill Gates is a rich man. That 1965 Mustang your neighbor is restoring? I would bet most of the parts he's using are after market, and he's probably paying a premium for the parts he's looking for.

From what I've read, the OP has enough modeling experience to repair/make his own cowl, but preferred to buy new. Then got upset when he couldn't get a new cowl. Rather than ask if there was a cowl available else where, comments were made about having owned several BME engines, and expecting a return favor not realizing that BME engines and BME models weren't the same company.

Hopefully he finds a new cowl or fixes what he has, and gets his plane back in the air soon.

Regards,
Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.done

Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.done
Old 04-29-2013, 03:52 AM

Read Dan767's post and you might understand a bit more about what is going on.
Having two friends who travel to China regularly on business (audio-electronics), and having dealt with a guy locally who tried to make a go of the ARF biz.,
I can see that it is not as easy as just getting on the phone and ordering parts like it is here in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.