Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Goose's Top Flite Giant P-51D Build Thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Goose's Top Flite Giant P-51D Build Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 PM
piperjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goose's Top Flite Giant P-51D Build Thread

Well I tried just about every paint store that would match my yellow paint I need off the cowl, but can only buy 1LT can. So I just let it go and do with what I have looks dark but so be it!!

It's all ready to take down to the club field for it's first flight. Just setting up the wing bolts and I'll check the CG and we are off.

John
Old 04-19-2013, 05:33 AM
v6goose

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,

Weather on Sunday here is rain and windy!! So Wednesday looks better for it's maiden flight and had to go buy longer wing bolts as what I bought was just not long enough. So today I'll check the CG and hope it's ok or move the batteries back or what ever.

How is your building going????

Cheers
John
Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM
v6goose

It's going well thanks John... slowly but surely and lots of other 'build related' work with CAD, CAM, CNC's, software and trying to design my way out of this thing.

I save up work and pictures for the posts to keep the clutter down, makes it more interesting for the watchers...

Cheers

Goose
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,

Under stand you will get there I'm sure.

Cheers
John
Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM
piperjon

Goose,

I have been checking one problem I have and that is with the Hacker brushless motor and ESC I have to get some air flow over the ESC and to some how take the heat from the brushless motor, not that there will be much. The cowl wouldhave nocut outs so the only air flow would be through the front of the cowl. So it looks like I will have to make a nice air hole through the bottom of the firewall and over the wing and out the radiator shutter or the other shutter in front of that one. as long as i can get the air flow I should be ok and with the radiator open it should draw the air from the front with no problem. (I hope)

Cheers
John
Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM
v6goose

Hi John...

I'd be making the most of the chin scoop, carb air filter intake holes and maybe a heat-sink.

Good luck!

Goose
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 PM
v6goose

Progress this weekend as far as the '51 is concerned was with the outer gear doors.

Pic 1: Mark III of the hinge assembly. Made from Pine, it's light, stiff but 'gives' a little when pushed which will save things breaking under stress.

Pic 2: Merlin seems to like his new perch where he is often overseeing production.

Pic 3: Mark IV of the hinge assembly in place. Based on the full size, the hinges allow the end of the doors to fold up into the wing when the wheels come down with just a small (1.5mm) gap.

I have also layed some glass down for the landing gear doors which will be cut this week to allow me in and out of the gear wells.

Cheers

Goose

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73094.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	1874924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36718.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	1874925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16864.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	1874926  
Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM
piperjon

Goose,

Well we had a great weather day yesterday sunday so I took the H9 to our club field but had to charde the 2 lipo batteries and they took for ever and then didn't get it done so came home. There was some think wrong with my lipo charger. So I didn't get the H9 in the air. Tried to charger the batteries here at home it got so hot that I couldn't hold it. So I have to buy a new one and no cheap one for me this time.

Good to see you are working it out and a nice job too. Did you make that table or bed for the cat a good place for him to keep warm and he did eat the pilot??

John
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM
v6goose

Ah bugger... next time.

Yes I made the bed out of scrap around the shop. It was much easier than have him walk across the workbench all the time and particularly while I was fiberglassing! [:@]

Pilot is safe, slacking off somewhere...

Cheers
Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,

You have not been working on you build?? as I haven't heard from you!!

I took my Extra 260 H9 down to out field yesterday (Sunday) and I couldn't get it to start. So I had no flying at all the last few weeks. Rain or windy and this coming Wednesday which our club members normally fly and also Sunday. No member goes any other day funny.

Today is a great day for a fly but have to many things todo here. Got to get some fire wood so we can keep warm as the nights are getting cool here.

Cheers
John
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 AM
v6goose

Hi John...

Yes I've been working on the '51 however not much to show for it.

This past weekend was the first 'real' day of decent weather so lots of spring activities including unwrapping the aeroplane trailer. Unfortunately it didn't survive the winter well and needs repairs scheduled for this weekend.

I also got a couple of other planes ready to fly and have a Corsair to prep for maiden.

Busy times. I'll post Mustang updates as they happen.

Cheers

Goose
Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 AM
v6goose

Hi guys...

Busy times for sure now that the weather is good, running flight school again this year and the million things to do.

On the '51 front I have:

Pic 1: Scored a chunk of Delrin for an eighth of it's normal price by being in the right place at the right time. My small hobby scroll saw wasn't so happy!

Pic 2: Now a manageable size, this piece is destined to be the vacuum mold for the inner left gear door.

Pic 3: The 3D model is mapped out in CAM software and saved as 47,000 lines of code for the mill.

Pic 4: The roughing pass removes the bulk of the material surrounding the part. Some lessons learnt here for sure!

Pic 5: Roughing pass finished some 4.5 hours later. Finishing pass about to start.

Pic 6: The finished part. No you can't have a close look, it's not good enough for your eyes, the next one will be if the vac-form comes out as planned

Oh, I added another 3' to my workbench over the weekend as well. 9' should be enough for the next couple of models.

Cheers!

Goose

Name:	Nl29564.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1,012.6 KB
ID:	1881786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63986.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	760.7 KB
ID:	1881787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48968.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1881788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32581.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1881789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83168.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1881790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39865.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1,005.7 KB
ID:	1881791  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,As always it's looking good and getting there.CheersJohn
Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,I'm still waiting for Joe to send me a pair of plates with out the centre hole not drilled. So the H9 is sitting in it's hanger until they turn up.Also the spinner backing plate that the spinner screws onto is also out of centre. Not a good kit I bought that's for sure. Anyway I may buy a tru-turn spinner for it and have them cut the spinner for Joe's 4 blade prop if he sends the plates. If not I'll just use a 2 blade one.How is your build going??CheersJohn
Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 AM
v6goose

Slow right now John...

Finished the overhaul of my trailer just in time for rain and thunderstorms. Got my ProX260 flight ready to have a problem with the engine, so working on that.

The Edge is ready to go, events are stacking up and flight school is in full swing. A major modification to my mill rounds out my to-do list

Busy times!

Goose
Old 06-08-2013, 11:15 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,Well mate I received 2 plates and the holes in the blades are drill wrong as well. I think with the centre being out when they drilled the 8 screw holes using the centre as the centre which means the blades will be out and they are. So no more from that prop supply as they are nogood what I have anyway.So I just put it in the rubbish bin. $245USD down the drain.Still no sign of the prop you sent or the 2 arming switches I order from that hobby shop and also I have not received my Bagpipe reeds and a few other items from Canada.Nogood mate I tell you.CheersJohn
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 AM
v6goose

Wow John...

I can't believe the bad luck you are having with the plates. At this point you are probably better off making it yourself.

The local post office showed me the shipping waybill (on the computer) confirming that the package was part of that shipment we talked about so I know it's left the country despite not having a tracking number assigned. Yes it's been too long... I could have swum there with it by now!

Still it has to end up somewhere and I think it will show up as part of poor service than lost in transit.

I guess that's part of the fun with living at the edges of the earth.

Cheers

Goose
Old 06-09-2013, 02:12 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,Yes I don't know why my 3 items are taking so long to get here, I just don't know!!!The blades don't run true they sit out when turned. 2 are really bad and for me to fix I would have to in large the holes and try to set the blades true but that would make them come lose maybe later. So all the stuffing around I did I just put them in the rubbish bin. I'm going to buy the "troy built models" 4 blade prop for my H9 stang BIELA is the name of them. so if you know any thing about them let me know?? I may have to use a 2 blade and for get about the 4 blade for the H9 stang. The cold weather is with us here in Sunny Corner now and got to make sure we have lots of fire wood. Like you hay Goose!! Do you have a fire place their or electric fire. The electricity here is going up, where it used to be about $370 per 3 months now $580 for 3 months and is still going up. Some people can not pay their electricity bill and get it cut off. but they get help from the salvos who also feed them. So our Australia is now well in New South Wales is a dear place to live if you are a retried and on the dam pension you just have to make sure every penny counts.CheersJohn
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,Still not building yet. I may start on my TF soon once I receive the fuse from Trent.I will re sharp the tail and make the rudder as I not buy the Rudder Trent makes because I want to change it too.Haven't been flying due to cold and wet weather.CheersJohn
Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 PM
piperjon

Hi Goose,I went flying on Friday at the club field and it was just great flying my 1/4scale piper Cub. But the second flite I took off and did about 3 touch and goes and the brushless motor stopped. So I did a 180 degree turn and landed the cub only to find out that one of the Lipo batteries had failed. I use 2 x4s 5000mah Lipo batteries in the cub and after the first flite I had them on the club charger. The only problem is it does take a while to charge them up. So I just packed up and went home which is about 40 minutes away. So I may have to buy better Lipo batteries than what I have. I tried to charge it up but a dead cell. so it's binned!!.Take care Goose.John
Old 10-04-2013, 02:44 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Goose, i have this model kit for past 2 years in a box. i have decided to finally start the build, wanted to know what engine you are using, and if anyone else has ever used a da 85 on this bird?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:59 AM
piperjon

Hi Orthobird,

I thank if you go back to the start of Goose's build on this tread you will find that Goose was going to use a DL50. But some one was talking about a DA 85.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks Jon, i will check it out.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM
v6goose

So I know you thought I had died and gone to a special hell for those who don't finish warbirds but no!

Building season is here once again and fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) I can only afford to work on the Mustang. Add to this that I'm off to Warbirds over Delaware this coming summer with a bunch of my buddies and I HAVE TO FINISH THIS!

Nothing like a little pressure to get it done aye

Right... picking up where we left off, I have:

Pic 1: Finished the LG access doors and modified the Sierra plates so I could screw them on.
Pic 2: Test fit the beautiful Sierra landing gear and been fiddling with the outer door geometry.
Pic 3: Glassed up the wing servo access hatches which will be cut tomorrow.

Cheers for coming back and watching guys...

Goose

Name:	1DM32616.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	1937779   Click image for larger version

Name:	1DM32618.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	1937780   Click image for larger version

Name:	1DM32619.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	1937781  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.