Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

12x dsm2 still using it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

12x dsm2 still using it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: 12x dsm2 still using it?

Still using it here in both my CARF Viper, 1/8 scale F-18, and my CARF 44% Giles. No issues ever! Why change?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

ORIGINAL: Alex48

Hi Dave

I recently sold my 12X, I really liked it in its day but the direction JR have gone with the aesthetics of their new radios and their unwillingness to provide PowerBox the codes for DMSS format have left me unable to continue to use their systems. I always thought it was limited on the programming front and never understood why you couldn't freely assign any channel to any switch. It made setting up a complex scale jet very frustrating. I brought a DX18 which has made my life much easier on the set up side of things once you get over its inferior plastic feel. I don't own many models and presently only have one jet so I'm lucky I can just chop and change system without incurring much cost. I tend to follow what my customers have which is Spektrum and Futaba this makes my builds easier when I have the appropriate transmitters.

I'm looking forward to JR's next release, I hope its a good one.

Cheers, Alex

Styling is one thing, I wasn't a fan but I like the feel of the XG-11 and I'm used to the look.
Powerbox have the codes...
Limited programming? I have never felt wanting, I have a Cougar with four flaps, smoke, airbrakes, hook. Since I always use the same switch for retracts and flaps, the other controls go on the remaining switches and can assign any of the spare channels to a spare switch in device select.

I don't know anyone who has lost a model to a DSX-12, the DX-18...Mmmm

JR's next radio will cover every gismo anyone can think of...

Dave
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 AM
Pat Barnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still using DSM2 technology as well, but with the DSX11, which has been faultless in the last 2 years of use. As Dave says, the styling of the DSX11/XG11 takes getting used to, but it is the most comfortable radio I have ever had, with switches falling naturally to fingertips. The Futaba MZ18 didn't fit my hands as well, but is the first of the recent Futaba radios I have liked the looks of. I'm looking forward to seeing the new JR radio later this year though.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Still using mine almost everyday and will not replace it until it dies. I did get a Weatronics module and Rx for my 10X from an estate and will try it as I have one and only one plane that needs 14 channels to have every servo on its own channel to make setup easy and adjustable.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Each to their own, Ive never seen issues with any of the radios but then I don't get out much

Emmerich emailed me yesterday to say they still don't have the codes from JR? Perhaps they got them today, hope so as I have a DMSS model to set up in May and would like to use a Powerbox.

Perhaps I'm in a minority with programming requirements.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

I can never keep it straight which is which, my 12X is around 7 years old now I guess, so that makes it DSM2? And the new one is DSMX? I need to buy a couple receivers and want to make sure I get the right ones!
you'll have to upgrade your 12x to dsmx as well to reap the befits of the X
Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 AM
megafly

I'm still using my 12x in DSM2 mode, 4 years flying 3 jets and big plane and never had a glitch!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:00 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was actually reluctant to upgrade my 12X DSM2 to DSMX as a friend told me that all his flap settings got messed up on existing models after the upgrade. Anyone have these problems?
Nope. After having my 12X upgraded to DSMX I needed to rebind all my models but nothing else changed.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, don't know why you're considering JR/ Futaba/ or Spek when you already run the best gear available? Weatronic, I'm sure you know that already! Keep going with the 10x/ wea module until the transmitter comes out later this year. I just upgraded my CARF Hawk /12-22R Gyro 3/GPS and the new patch antennae. 4 flawless flights with perfect RF readings. The new patch antennae almost double RF strength vs a standard wire receiver antenna.

Mike
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

I can never keep it straight which is which, my 12X is around 7 years old now I guess, so that makes it DSM2? And the new one is DSMX? I need to buy a couple receivers and want to make sure I get the right ones!

What are the benefits?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

What are the benefits?
The benefits are all for Horizon. You get to go sell all your perfectly good DSM2 receivers for a ridiculously low price and buy all new DSMX ones so Horizon may benefit

Mike

Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe there is truth in that. I think a lot of it is marketing driven. I still run DSM2, some stuff is using newer DSMX Rx but still DSM2 link. JR11X and 9303 Tx. I am a big fan of the 11X (now upgraded to XG11 software). I used DSM2 at IRCHA in 2011 and there were a lot of helis in the air! I have never had an issue. I have spoken about upgrading from DSM2 to DSMX on two occasions with Horizon Tech support since summer 2011. Both times I heard the same thing. The improvement in performance is difficult to measure, more theoretical than provable. And it was suggested both times that if I am happy with my DSM2 than maybe I should not worry about it...
Now that JR is going with another system I would also consider Futaba if/when I buy another radio. All of the Spectrum/JR equipment I own would be incompatible anyway. As for the DX18, I have programmed both airplanes and helis with it while helping others, but I don't know if Spectrum will ever produce a Tx with the fit, finish, or feel of a higher end JR or Futaba radio...
Disclaimer, I still fly IMAC and a few gliders on an old Futaba 72mHz radio, so I am usually slow to adopt new tech anyway, LOL.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
mjunior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 12X/DSM2 for my jets, helis and props...
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Dave, don't know why you're considering JR/ Futaba/ or Spek when you already run the best gear available? Weatronic, I'm sure you know that already! Keep going with the 10x/ wea module until the transmitter comes out later this year. I just upgraded my CARF Hawk /12-22R Gyro 3/GPS and the new patch antennae. 4 flawless flights with perfect RF readings. The new patch antennae almost double RF strength vs a standard wire receiver antenna.

Mike
Yes, I know, lol.. I just keep wondering if I should have everything on my old 10x with the module - yes it has worked well but I have the patch cable taped in place and I treat it like vodoo so that nothing happens there...should be fine it has worked for 3-4 years as is for me. MY 12X is sitting there and I have all of these recievers...and it is a little easier to setup the 12x.

I have not put anything in the plane yet, but I do also have a spare 12-22 gyro 3. I wish Wx would get a transmitter out! (Off topic - I wish I could use the new Jeti Tx that thing is awesome, looks like the new wave of tx like the planned weatronic).

I am also glad to see that everyone still using dsm2 is having continued success. Good information even though we will all take a step at some point.
Dave

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DSM2 and DSMX works fine and your JR12 is one of the best made TXs ever so stick with it, I owned and used a DX12 on DSM2 for years in fact since there day of realise here in the UK.I did not once have a hold or glitch wile flying all types of airframes including several Jets, After hundred's of flights its sticks and gimbals were as good as new when I sold it last year.What was my biggest mistake ever was selling it then buying a DX18 just for the sake of more channels,In the three months using the DX18 I had two jet airframes and two smaller airframes die big time.The DX18 Tx has since been replaced after inspection by Horizon FOC no quibble about two months ago.One of the jet airframes was flown on the JR12 for over a year before dyeing after just two flights with the DX18, All the other airframes were on the same setups and flown lots on the JR12, all failed on the DX18.I feel wit a JR12 every Tx seems to be well made but perhaps with Spectrum TXs its a bit hit and miss? Due to a total lack of confidence in the new DX18 TXs I could not bring myself to use it again.My currant Tx is the JR XG11 bought on a Dave W recommendation, 80+ flights later no more mishaps, JR may be a bit more expensive "£9 for a satellite lead!"But I don't mind too much as its way cheaper than the thousands of pounds in airframes the DX18 cost me.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest dislike of the Spectrum Tx's is they just feel cheap. Like something Radio Shack would sell in a toy remote control car.