Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bridi Rearwin speedster build?

Seeing your pic of the assembled airframe, really makes me wish that I still had the kit. LOL

She looks great.

What do you plan to cover her with ?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably red and white solar tex.definately fabric. yes, she looks awesome. i love planes from that era, them big wheel pants make it. Steve.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 AM
TomCrump

I'm a Solartex guy, too.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 AM
stevegauth30

Yeah, probably the most scale like when it comes to fabric covered planes. Very easy to work with too. I love the stuff.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 PM
stevegauth30

So, I'm thinking about trying it with the 3250 even though I know it's way over kill. I've been checking dimensions and plans, and it will fit with plenty of room to spare. I won't even have to cut the cowl except at the bottom for a wrap around Pitts muffler. Other wise ill have to take a DLE 30 off of another plane, and for only a difference of 2 cc's. it hardly seems worth it. I won't have the funds for a different engine for quite some time, sooo...worst case scenario, It's way too much, and I don't use it. I think I will give it a go. Steve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10917.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	1868332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96810.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	1868333  
Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 AM
TomCrump

I've been thinking all along, that you could use that power plant.

Throttle management will be key, but you should be ok.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 AM
stevegauth30

I'm real big on throttle management any way. Most of my planes are over powered already. I like to have it and not need it. As long as it doesn't put it over what the manufacturer says is the weight limit. I think it will be fine. I only have to take 1/2 inch off of the engine box length. Thanks for your thoughts on it. Steve.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well their use to be a guy that would torque roll his 1/4 scale cub a the club. Just dont pull the wings of, or if you do video it[X(]. You will have a scale prop look. You will have enought to pull a 20 lb plane; would make a great glider tug. My ST is getting ignition on glow and run 0% nitro home brew for economy. Mine is destin for a 1/5 Spitfire full enclosed cowl. That is why the glow; for cooler running.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 AM
stevegauth30

I still don't know yet which way ill go with it. I'm not going to mount the engine just yet. I have a super decathlon with a DLE 20 that I keep looking at. I'm sure that would be a good match, but I really like flying that plane. I still have quite some time till this plane will be ready to fly, so who knows what can happen between now and then. Who knows, maybe ill come up with some money and just buy a new engine. Oh, what to do.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 AM
TomCrump

When I had the kit, my plan was to power it with a G-38. From what I remember about the Rearwin's structure, I would think that a 20cc would not be enough.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
stevegauth30

See, that's where I don't understand. The box says a 60, then they give you the conversion kit for a quadra 2.2, . A 20 cc will knock the doors off of a 60 even on a bad day. Who knows?im just gonna throw the big boy up front and see what happens. At least ill be able to tow gliders and stuff. Steve.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 AM
TomCrump

As some one said earlier, these were designed for a .60, using a gear reduction unit.

The gear reduction unit allowed the usage of larger props, although they were turning a reduced RPM.

As larger, more powerful, engines were developed, the units fell out of favor.

I really think you will be disappointed, if you install a 20cc. The conversion kit for the 2.2 provides a hint as to what is needed.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 AM
TomCrump

gear reduction unit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZezUd...IZzAFw&index=4
Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 AM
stevegauth30

like i said, im going to put the 3250 up front. was just trying to make sense of it. ill stop beating the dead horse now. thanks again tom for all of the info. much appreciated. Steve.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM
stevegauth30

Well, it's been a while since I worked on the speedster. I just got the solar tex today, so I guess it's time to get off of my arss and finish it. Ya know what I did, I feel like a dope. I ordered the covering, all of the linkages and wheels and stuff. Except I only ordered one wheel, not thinking that once you get up into the bigger wheels they don't come in packs of two. Sooo, I guess I need to place another order. Might as well get some other things while I'm paying shipping. Ohh , poor me. Lol. That's ok, I need another roll ov solar tex too. Progress coming soon. Thanks, Steve.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 PM
stevegauth30

Well, I'm finally back to work on the rearwin.its been a couple weeks. I finally got the solar tex, and realized how much work is actually left. Nothing too major, but a lot of little things, and a lot of sanding and shaping still. I still have to mount the engine, but I did manage to set up the pull pull, and all of the linkages and mounted the servos. It's coming, slowly but surely. Steve

Name:	Ge96623.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	1872136  
Old 04-16-2013, 02:50 AM
stevegauth30

Ok, I finally got the big super tigre mounted. I've been putting it off for a while now, and I'm glad it's done. It took a few mods. I had to cut about 1 1/2 inches off of the engine box, and a bit of extra bracing. I will also re mount the elevator servo in the tail to try and help with CG. I still need to order a muffler for it. Now that the engine is mounted, I can measure and figure out what will fit best. I'm hoping to not have to cut the cowl at all, with the exception of maybe the exaust exits. Thanks for watching, Steve.

Name:	Yw67092.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	1872611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60276.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	1872612  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 PM
bandit357

Just for your inspiration, here is a pic of mine, i bought it from a guy in Los Angeles (john)- it was built by his Grand Father, after a week of changes, she is flying. up front is a DL 50cc, with spektrum receiver and hitech servo's. i flew her 4 times yesterday, and 5 flights today.. i can tell you, she in now my Fav plane. at 1/4 throttle she fly's very scale, full, and this bird turns into a pattern ship (or IMAC). really nice round loops, no shortage of vertical performance. landings are nice and slow like a cub. for what its worth, i am really really impressed with this bird, great plane, you will love it.

Name:	Tq48687.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1877125  
Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 AM
stevegauth30

That looks awesome. Is that a functioning door? I should have done that. I'm actually ready to cover mine, but I'm short on solar tex, so I need do order another roll. I don't know what I was thinking that a 5 Meter roll would do it. It takes all 15 feet just to do the wing. I also need a muffler for the super tigre. Other than that, I've done all I can for now. I hope to be able to order the stuff soon, cus I'm dying to fly her. Thanks for the inspiration, I do kind of need it. Steve.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
bandit357

YES, steve, that is a functioning door, its held on with magnets ( not my doing) BUT, I was very worried that it would stay in flight, but after several flights, to include knife edge's, she holds on just fine. the door comes in really handy for maintenance, and i even mounted the radio switches inside, so yes a door is very handy.  As for covering, mine is done in monokote, not solartex (i am not very keen covering 1/4 scale with monokote) all my others are covered with solartex, or real fabric, however, the monokote seems to working fine. Any way, you will love yours, the ST should pull her around just fine, this thing fly's like a pattern ship, no adverse yawl at all, just point and go.. really nice.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM
stevegauth30

That's a very nice looking plane. Almost the same colors that I'm doing. Mine will be vintage red with cream trim. I seriously considering adding a door before I cover it. How about slow flight? Any bad habits on landing?i can't wait. By the way, what's the weight on yours? Any idea?thanks a lot, Steve.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 PM
bandit357

SLOW Flight, .. for what little i did, seems very tame, i only did one stall and she didnt drop a wing, and behaved very predictably. and for the landings, well.... i am still learning how to grease her in, with that 22x8 prop, i don't have much ground clearance, so i need to make sure she lands nose up ( or break the prop), so to my surprise she slows right on down like a cub, and floats like a feather for a soft landing.. very very sweet, considering my other plans don't land this soft. i think the nice fat semi- simyctrical wing helps. As for weight, im not sure, i think about 17 lbs. i will weigh her later and let you know.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:46 AM
stevegauth30

Thanks a lot bandit, it worked. Seeing yours and talking to you is giving me some inspiration to finish mine. This Friday I will be able to order my muffler and last roll of fabric. Thanks for the kick in the arss. Steve.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 PM
stevegauth30

Monday I will order the rest of what I need for the speedster. Today o got the wheels and pants permanently mounted, as well as got some of the final sanding done on the wings. Also some little odds and ends like soldering on the 4 40 rod ends for the tail braces and installed the hard points for them. I still need to final sand the fuse, and finish up on the struts. I also need to start thinking about paint for the cowl and pants. I hope to maiden it some time within the next month or so. Thanks for watching. Steve
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 AM
stevegauth30

Well I got the right wing all covered and it looks great. I would show ya if it weren't for our favorite 500 error. ***? I thought we already did that. Anyway, tonight I will try to cover the left wing and with any luck maybe the picture poster will be working again. Thanks, Steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.