Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dynam Peaks Pitts servo will not center and ESC issues

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dynam Peaks Pitts servo will not center and ESC issues

Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 AM
pcnewman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynam Peaks Pitts servo will not center and ESC issues

I just sent the followng letter to Nitroplanes. Have ay of you had the same problems?:

I received my order in great shape and on time.
I do have a problem with the rudder servo though.
It will not center itself.
When I attempt to trim it, I can put 3 clicks in and the servo doesn't move, then one more click and it moves enough for all 4 clicks.
Other times I can give it one click and it moves 3 or 4 clicks worth.
Sometimes when I'm moving the stick back and forth it will return to center, othe times it won't.
I have changed the receiver, then the transmitter, then both, with the same result.
I'm not trying to beat you guys out of a servo, I'll gladly pay for it, if that will fix the problem.
I'm using a Spektrum Dx6i.
Also each time it power up the ESC it goes into a series of short quick beeps, like the throttle is up. It's not and the trim is centered. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery, it seems to work fine.
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciatted,
Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Dynam Peaks Pitts servo will not center and ESC issues

Do yourself a favor and buy some higher quality servos, I like the Hitecs for my higher performance small planes.. the $2 servos will continue to frustrate you, hate to break a plane because one just decides to stop working all together, they are cheap for a reason.

how are you "Powering up" the ESC if you're not plugging in the battery?? the ESC has a switch I guess,, I never use those,, I leave them in the on position and plug the battery in when I'm ready to fly. I've never trusted those switchs since my RC car days, they always seam to fail one way or another,, some I've had to cut off and solder the wires together,, they never failed then.

good luck
Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 AM
pcnewman

Will do on the servos. I did work the servo back and forth (with the Tx) for about 10 minutes trying to clean up the servo motor. Made a big difference. I think I will still swap them out though.
I'm just connecting the battery just like you would for flight. No switch. Replaced stock plugs with Deans. The last 2 times I powered it up it did fine. Strange.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:20 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

make sure the ATVs are set 100% in the TX too. If so, maybe you'll need to go 110% on the down throttle

Next time, If it's powering up and is giving you the throttle engaged warning beeps, just try going full throttle and back down and see if it arms like it should. I've had a few ESCs that needed that cycle procedure randomly.

good luck
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: pcnewman

I just sent the followng letter to Nitroplanes. Have ay of you had the same problems?:

I received my order in great shape and on time.
I do have a problem with the rudder servo though.
It will not center itself.
When I attempt to trim it, I can put 3 clicks in and the servo doesn't move, then one more click and it moves enough for all 4 clicks.
Other times I can give it one click and it moves 3 or 4 clicks worth.
You need to first establish if this is an issue with the servo or a binding issue.

Disconnect the linkage and put the servo arm back in. Try moving the servo as before. Does it move smoothly now?

If so move the surface back and forth many times to loosen it. It should move quite freely. If there is any resistance, that may be causing the problem.

You may have a broken tooth on the servo, but I'll bet it is just binding up, particularly on a new plane which tends to be very stiff.

I'm not trying to beat you guys out of a servo, I'll gladly pay for it, if that will fix the problem.
Dunno which "guys" you're talking about... we are all mere RC enthusiasts here...

I'm using a Spektrum Dx6i.
Also each time it power up the ESC it goes into a series of short quick beeps, like the throttle is up. It's not and the trim is centered. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery, it seems to work fine.
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciatted,
A set of quick beeps are normal.

The ESC's beep once for each cell count and preceeded by a single beep.

If the plane stops beeping after a few seconds, everything is fine.

If it continues to beep, bring the trim all the way down to establish full throttle off.

I'll BET you have not "taught" the ESC your throttle range yet!

To do so...

Remove the prop.

Set the throttle trim to center.

Turn on the TX and move the throttle ALL the way up.

Turn on the plane. The ESC will beep... as soon as it does bring the throttle all the way down.

The ESC will beep as it continues to initialize and recognize the throttle range.

That is in the ESC documentation included with your plane...

Note that you have now taught the ESC that full low throttle is when you have the trim at center... if you ever move the trim down again the ESC may use that as the maximum throttle range.

On my Dynam's I just put the trim all the way down.... IMHO that is a nice safety feature, as I know the plane will not ARM nor go into programming mode until I put the trim down...

It will continue to beep until I do so which prevents me from forgetting that I've left the plane "hot".

Old 04-29-2013, 04:15 PM
pcnewman

OPJOSE
Thanks for the reply. Lots of good info.
1-No binding. I had already broken hinges in. But tried with pus rods disconnected.
Gears seem to be fine. It will center now and then. I worked the servo back and forth (with the tx) for about ten minutes to try to clean the servo motor up. It did seem to help but still not right.
2- If you notice at the top of the post I stated that I had sent the following letter to Nitroplanes. So it was Nitro planes I was speaking to, not anyone here. The reason I posted it here was to see if anyone has had the same problems.
3- I should have said that the ESC sometimes beep short beeps continously not a series. I'll try what you said about teaching the ESC.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM
opjose

Re: Beeps

The short beeps are because the ESC is not seeing the throttle go to zero.

Re: Servo

If the servo is not centering with the linkages disconnected, then it is definitely a bad servo.

Given that you want a stronger servo for the rudder anyway, just obtain any similarly sized, but hopefully stronger servo to replace it.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 AM
pcnewman

ESC I dont know how I didnt see what you pointed out in the instructions. I went thru this proceedure and all seems fine. Thanks.
Anyone know the specs on the stock servo?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 AM
opjose

This is the stock servo... [link=http://www.dynam-rc.com/products/servos/9g_servos.htm]Click me.[/link]

FYI: 1.6 kg/cm = 22 oz/in

Which is not too bad for a "stock" micro servo.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM
pcnewman

The aileron servos are 9g's the rudder(the problem child) and elevator servos are 17g.
I looked under PARTS for this plane and found this:
DY-1009 17g servo specs:
Operating Speed: 0.11sec/60degree AT 4.8Volt
Output Torque: target=2.6kg.cm(36oz.in) AT 4.8Volt
Weight: 17g(0.58oz)
Size: 30x12x30mm (1.2x0.47x1.2)

Nitroplanes says they are sending a replacement.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM
opjose

Good to hear.

Those are not bad specs for these small servos on the Dynams.