Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Step by Step Hitec Aurora Throttle Cut Programming

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Step by Step Hitec Aurora Throttle Cut Programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step by Step Hitec Aurora Throttle Cut Programming

Hi,

I just set up throttle cut on my Hitec Aurora 9 and had a little difficulty following the directions in the manual, so I thought I'd post a step by step instructions on what I did to set this up, in hopes of that I may help someone else.

Before setting this up, I searched for instructions here, and also at different commonly visited reference sites. In everything I read, I found some assumptions were made, or the information was very cryptic, eventually I "got it" through trial and error.

To understand what throttle cut does is very simple, it will shut down your motor by using a flick of a switch instead of moving your throttle trim lever below idle each time you want to shut your motor down.

This is the first draft, if you see any mistakes, or have any suggestions on how to make the instructions clearer, or better, please let me know.

I hope you find this useful, I appreciate any comments.

The instructions are below.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller

=======================================

Throttle Cut Set Up on the Hitec Aurora 9

1. Select the “Model” tab.
2. Select “Thro.Cut”
3. Select switch “NULL” on right hand side of screen. This will bring you to the “[Throttle Cut]OFF” screen
4. “Switch” on the screen will be shown as “NULL”, so the switch you want to use for throttle cut must be selected – push “SEL” at lower right of screen and you will be shown a graphic representation of the switches on the transmitter.
5. Hitec recommends using the momentary switch “H”, so push “H”. Then back out of the screen by pushing the exit door on the upper right of screen. This will take you back to the “[Throttle Cut]OFF” screen.
6. On this screen the switch is represented by two triangles facing each other, when you move the switch you selected, you should see the black in the top triangle (off), move to the lower triangle (on), and the “0” on the top right of the screen will change to “1”, this lets you know the selected switch is working
7.In order to use throttle cut, we need to meet two conditions. The first is to activate the switch to “on”. The second is to enable the switch, this is done when the throttle stick is moved below a certain throttle position. The throttle position to enable the switch will be set by you in the next step.
8. The enabled throttle “Cut Position” defaults to below 50% of the throttle stick. We are going to change it so it is enabled below approximately 25% of the throttle stick. 9. To do this, you need to push “Cut Position” on the “[Throttle Cut]OFF” screen at this time.
10. This will cause a graphic representation of the throttle, on a bar graph, to show on the screen. The top of the graph will say “OFF”, the middle will have 50%, and the bottom will say “ON”. When you move the throttle stick you will see a line move up and down in the graph.
11. At this time push the “50%”, “SET” will then appear at the lower right of the screen, this will allow you to change the percentage of the throttle cut position.
12. While “SET” is shown on the screen, move the stick down to approximately 25% and then push “SET”, this will cause the new throttle cut enable position, in percent, to show on the graph. This means the switch “H” (throttle cut) will only be enabled when the throttle stick is below the percentage that you have set.
13. Next we want to adjust where the carburetor arm position will be when switch “H” is “on”, this position will be where the motor will stop. In the next step we are going to use the throttle trim lever to set the carburetor arm to the throttle cut (motor stop) position.
14. To do this, push “ADJUST to TRIM:INH” that you see on the screen. This needs to be active in order to make the adjustment, so push “ACT” at bottom right of screen. At this time the line should change to read “Adjust to Trim:ACT”, if it still says “INH” push “ACT” at bottom right of screen again.
15. We now want to adjust where the throttle arm should be when we activate switch “H”. However, you must remember the “H” switch will only be enabled when the throttle is below the 25% we had previously set. The first thing you must do now is to move the throttle down below the ¼, or 25%, and hold switch “H” on.
While holding switch “H” on, adjust the carburetor arm to the “throttle cut” (engine stop) position using the throttle trim lever. Once the carburetor arm has moved to the “throttle cut” position that you want, release switch “H”.
16. Test that throttle cut works by moving the throttle below 25% and activating switch “H”. The carburetor arm should move to the “throttle cut” position while the switch is held. When you release the switch, the carburetor arm should move back to its previous position.
17. Back out of the throttle cut screens by pushing the exit door on the upper right of screen after “throttle cut” has been set.

To see Elevon programming steps:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10531528

For programming flow chart see here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10481073

For a better Aurora manual index, see here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10467839
Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Step by Step Hitec Aurora Throttle Cut Programming

Wayne Miller,

You inveited comments ___
I have one ___

Your location near me indicates that you are not associated with Hitec.

Yet you are posting help to A9 users that could and perhaps should have been posted by Hitec themselves.

You deserve praise for your good work.

I am quite sure that many Hitec new owners also appreciate your contribution.

Congratulations and you deserve gratefulness from Hitec.
Hope they will show it in this thread.

Zor
Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Zor,

Thank-you for your kind words. You are correct, I have absolutly no connection to Hitec except to have an Aurora 9.

When I have a diffcult time making something work, I simply post my finding to help others. I try to post my findings/instructions in an easy way that even I could understand.

I'm pleased someone found the information useful, it makes me feel my time in writting it up was well spent.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 AM
gervaisd

I agree with ZOR,

I was trying to set up a throttle cut for my Sig 1/5th Piper Cub with a Saito 72 and Aurora 9. Your procedure has been the first link I found with Google. I'm lucky!!

Merci beaucoup!

Dan
Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Dan,

I'm glad I could help. Merci.

You may want to go to the search at the top right of this page, click on it, then on the upper left of the new page click on OLD SEARCH - search for Fly4Fun, and it will come up with my other posts, some on the Aurora 9 - I hope you find them useful as well.

I've been through Trois Rivier (spelling?) many times travelling to my parents in N.B. - it is a nice place.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Wayne

Again ,....................... you keep helping us A9 users ,...................................... Thanks

Michel
Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 PM
JIMMY1988DD
Banned

Glad to meet you!I think this is a humorous story:Tommy: How is your little brother, Johnny? Johnny: He is ill in bed. He hurt himself. Tommy: That's too bad. How did that happen?Johnny: We played who could lean furthest out of the window,and he won.

Ads by Google
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
murranji

Thank you for your instructions on Throttle Cut setting. Most of the Aurora 9 manual is quite clear but programing T Cut is confusing. Your instructions are helpful, although not everything worked for me exactly as you said. maybe I have some other problems. I am about to try it on teh aircraft so time will tell.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 AM
MTDV
My Feedback: (58)

I appreciate your help Wayne. Your instruction is ery clear to me. However, one more thing that I want to do, but I have not figured out is to cut the throttle any time regardless of the position of the throttle stick.

In the heli mode, the Aurora 9 allows me to set up a switch called "throttle hold", and it over writes the throttle value to turn off the motor (hold mode can be set as idle or stop). I want to do that in the airplane mode, but I cannot find a way yet. if any of you having an idea, please share with me. Thank you very much.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 AM
Nick Burroughs

Hi

I have had problems with throttle cut settings and then found your method. I tried this but still cannot get it to work.
All ok till step 13 where it goes wrong. Before I start should I set the throttle trim to its maximum or awat. I do not see any throttle movement when adjusting the throttle trim.

Can you help?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:50 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Make sure you activate "adjust to trim" and then when the cut switch is on, use the throttle trim to set it. When you release it, then it will go back to the normal trim setting.

Mike.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Ken Cz

Hi Wayne,
Does this procedure work for electric motors as well? Need a function on my A9 and 9X that will kill the throttle on my first large scale E/Power (I know, the 'dark side') plane.

Need some help.[

Thanks for this and other helpful unbiased posts and tips.
Ken - Oxford, MI
UOTE=Wayne Miller;10546384]Hi,

I just set up throttle cut on my Hitec Aurora 9 and had a little difficulty following the directions in the manual, so I thought I'd post a step by step instructions on what I did to set this up, in hopes of that I may help someone else.

Before setting this up, I searched for instructions here, and also at different commonly visited reference sites. In everything I read, I found some assumptions were made, or the information was very cryptic, eventually I "got it" through trial and error.

To understand what throttle cut does is very simple, it will shut down your motor by using a flick of a switch instead of moving your throttle trim lever below idle each time you want to shut your motor down.

This is the first draft, if you see any mistakes, or have any suggestions on how to make the instructions clearer, or better, please let me know.

I hope you find this useful, I appreciate any comments.

The instructions are below.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller

=======================================

Throttle Cut Set Up on the Hitec Aurora 9

1. Select the “Model” tab.
2. Select “Thro.Cut”
3. Select switch “NULL” on right hand side of screen. This will bring you to the “[Throttle Cut]OFF” screen
4. “Switch” on the screen will be shown as “NULL”, so the switch you want to use for throttle cut must be selected – push “SEL” at lower right of screen and you will be shown a graphic representation of the switches on the transmitter.
5. Hitec recommends using the momentary switch “H”, so push “H”. Then back out of the screen by pushing the exit door on the upper right of screen. This will take you back to the “[Throttle Cut]OFF” screen.
6. On this screen the switch is represented by two triangles facing each other, when you move the switch you selected, you should see the black in the top triangle (off), move to the lower triangle (on), and the “0” on the top right of the screen will change to “1”, this lets you know the selected switch is working
7.In order to use throttle cut, we need to meet two conditions. The first is to activate the switch to “on”. The second is to enable the switch, this is done when the throttle stick is moved below a certain throttle position. The throttle position to enable the switch will be set by you in the next step.
8. The enabled throttle “Cut Position” defaults to below 50% of the throttle stick. We are going to change it so it is enabled below approximately 25% of the throttle stick. 9. To do this, you need to push “Cut Position” on the “[Throttle Cut]OFF” screen at this time.
10. This will cause a graphic representation of the throttle, on a bar graph, to show on the screen. The top of the graph will say “OFF”, the middle will have 50%, and the bottom will say “ON”. When you move the throttle stick you will see a line move up and down in the graph.
11. At this time push the “50%”, “SET” will then appear at the lower right of the screen, this will allow you to change the percentage of the throttle cut position.
12. While “SET” is shown on the screen, move the stick down to approximately 25% and then push “SET”, this will cause the new throttle cut enable position, in percent, to show on the graph. This means the switch “H” (throttle cut) will only be enabled when the throttle stick is below the percentage that you have set.
13. Next we want to adjust where the carburetor arm position will be when switch “H” is “on”, this position will be where the motor will stop. In the next step we are going to use the throttle trim lever to set the carburetor arm to the throttle cut (motor stop) position.
14. To do this, push “ADJUST to TRIM:INH” that you see on the screen. This needs to be active in order to make the adjustment, so push “ACT” at bottom right of screen. At this time the line should change to read “Adjust to Trim:ACT”, if it still says “INH” push “ACT” at bottom right of screen again.
15. We now want to adjust where the throttle arm should be when we activate switch “H”. However, you must remember the “H” switch will only be enabled when the throttle is below the 25% we had previously set. The first thing you must do now is to move the throttle down below the ¼, or 25%, and hold switch “H” on.
While holding switch “H” on, adjust the carburetor arm to the “throttle cut” (engine stop) position using the throttle trim lever. Once the carburetor arm has moved to the “throttle cut” position that you want, release switch “H”.
16. Test that throttle cut works by moving the throttle below 25% and activating switch “H”. The carburetor arm should move to the “throttle cut” position while the switch is held. When you release the switch, the carburetor arm should move back to its previous position.
17. Back out of the throttle cut screens by pushing the exit door on the upper right of screen after “throttle cut” has been set.

To see Elevon programming steps:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10531528

For programming flow chart see here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10481073

For a better Aurora manual index, see here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10467839[/QUOTE]
Old 10-10-2015, 07:48 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Maybe it is my computer, but the instructions have a lot of characters around some words or phrases that make it confusing to read.
I took out all of these to make it easier to read for anyone else having the same issue.
I have included part of the original instructions to see what I had before edit.
I saved it as a .txt file, so use word wrap when viewing or printing.
Wayne...thanks for taking the time to post this.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Before edit.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	2124683  
Attached Files

Last edited by OldRookie; 10-10-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Ken Cz

Yep, same problem here.
Thanks to Wayne too![
QUOTE=OldRookie;12111266]Maybe it is my computer, but the instructions have a lot of characters around some words or phrases that make it confusing to read.
I took out all of these to make it easier to read for anyone else having the same issue.
I have included part of the original instructions to see what I had before edit.
I saved it as a .txt file, so use word wrap when viewing or printing.
Wayne...thanks for taking the time to post this.

Greg[/QUOTE]
Old 03-30-2018, 02:59 AM
smr2ley

Originally Posted by gervaisd
I agree with ZOR,

I was trying to set up a throttle cut for my Sig 1/5th Piper Cub with a Saito 72 and Aurora 9. Your procedure has been the first link I found with Google. I'm lucky!!

Merci beaucoup!

Dan
The whole thread is full of rubbish which cannot be read - e.g €œModel€, “throttle cutâ€