Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with installing a Hooben T-55 barrel elevation motor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Anyone have experience with installing a Hooben T-55 barrel elevation motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Lincs Winks Wayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with installing a Hooben T-55 barrel elevation motor

I have tried numerous ways to assemble the elevation motor to the barrel recoil bracket but it seems to have several problems.

1) Too much space between the motor assembly ( TG-2) and the barrel bracket (TK-1)
2) When you assemble G-2 to the connecting rod on the motor there is no room for it to move it hits the motor shaft and the limit switches.

Wayne

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36925.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	1877534  
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 AM
B/Man

Default RE: Anyone have experience with installing a Hooben T-55 barrel elevation motor

Depending on the electronics you plan on using I would recommend forgetting about the stock recoil and elevation units and replacing them with servos. I have spent far too many frustrating hours with the recoil and it was never reliable. I eventually put a Clark board in he tank and modified the recoil to use a servo. I still use the stock elevation but am considering replacing that too.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Anyone have experience with installing a Hooben T-55 barrel elevation motor

On my t55 the long elevation arm was actually missing so I've rigged up something using a screw and the short on that directly connects to the elevation, works great! Never had issues with the recoil either.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 AM
DirtyBird69

Agreed....I trashed all the stuff on my Elefant and put servos on EVERYTHING!...much better now
ORIGINAL: B/Man

Depending on the electronics you plan on using I would recommend forgetting about the stock recoil and elevation units and replacing them with servos. I have spent far too many frustrating hours with the recoil and it was never reliable. I eventually put a Clark board in he tank and modified the recoil to use a servo. I still use the stock elevation but am considering replacing that too.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the Hooben units with tamiya units froma  Pershing. No trouble.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:54 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a lot of trouble with mine as well. I ended up with Tamiya stuff in it.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lincs Winks Wayne
I have tried numerous ways to assemble the elevation motor to the barrel recoil bracket but it seems to have several problems.

1) Too much space between the motor assembly ( TG-2) and the barrel bracket (TK-1)
2) When you assemble G-2 to the connecting rod on the motor there is no room for it to move it hits the motor shaft and the limit switches.
I had the same problem, I didn't remember excatly what I did but for sure I replaced the arm, that's the problem. Then wroked fine for over two years. However the advice to replace for servos is right if you know how to do.
In fact the Hooben system is copy but better than Tamiya as it has few micro switchs to stop the end of the travel, Tamiya's hasn't and the horrible clutch cames broken in few months.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcovalsk

I had the same problem, I didn't remember excatly what I did but for sure I replaced the arm, that's the problem. Then wroked fine for over two years. However the advice to replace for servos is right if you know how to do.
In fact the Hooben system is copy but better than Tamiya as it has few micro switchs to stop the end of the travel, Tamiya's hasn't and the horrible clutch cames broken in few months.

It was those micro swtiches that failed on my Hooben unit. They fell apart. Which just goes to show, that these things, regardless of brand or make, require tweaking and maintanence.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Lincs Winks Wayne

Wayne

I do not know much about servos
I would appreciate advice on which servo to get and possibly where, also if anyone has pictures of how to adapt a servo to the position in question on the T-55.

Thanks if you can

Wayne