Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

National 747 crash

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

National 747 crash

Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: National 747 crash

Joe, if it was carrying MRAPs (mine resistant armored personnel) vehicles, those things weigh around 35,000 lbs! That could definetly cause a huge shift. I always felt iffy when carrying two of them in the Galaxy! Lots of chains holding them down but gosh what if one broke.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sad video indeed [&o]
Some News claim Quote" Video evidence has surfaced online. ... The Taliban immediately claimed responsibility for the crash."

They are investigating the source of the dash cam video..
P.S
After replaying the Dash cam video.. there is something strange about how he react befor and after the plane crash [X(]
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

Very say video indeed [&o]
Some News claim Quote'' Video evidence has surfaced online. ... The Taliban immediately claimed responsibility for the crash.''

They are investigation the source of the dash cam video..
I wouldn't trust the news media on this at all....they rarely get it right. I know they are crazy over there, but I doubt that anyone in their right mind would put themselves infront of the path of a planned wreck.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 AM
AlmondRancher

Rest in peace. My condolences to the families.

Pandissix,
Thank you for your service.

- Allan B

Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

+1 condolences...
I'm also a former C-5 Galaxy Flight Engineer.... having heavy cargo shift like that is an absolute nightmare scenario.
very humbling.
21 guns.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 AM
y2blade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horrible to watch, my thoughts are with those left behind.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:46 AM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

I would doubt Taliban was involved. On occasion they cook off some 7.62 at us and the usual indirect fire from rockets...but have limited MANPAD capability. Biggest threat is turn coats.

I recall the altitude is in the neighborhood of 5 k. May have had some impact. I'll let the expert weigh in.

Someone mentioned MRAP vehicles may have shifted. That makes sense as there is a Huge MRAP repair facility there, they mostly keep it covered with fences and tarps...lets just say its bad for morale to see the blown up vehicles from IED.

Also a lot of Soviet Migs and armor graveyard at the perimeter road near the crash...and active mine fields they are still clearing from the 80,s.

Yes Bagram is a hole...and Thunderdom.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 AM
whaledriver
My Feedback: (154)

Being a current and qualified Captain on all series -400 (Pax, BCF, F, & LCF) and -8 747's, the thing I take from the video is flaps are where they should be, engines working (no smoke or flame) and the landing gear is down. Whatever happened, it was know to the crew very early in the flight. Two to three seconds after rotation, the PM (pilot monitoring) calls "Positive Climb" and PF (Pilot flying) then calls "Gear Up". That didn't happen, so they had their hands full immediately after liftoff.

I agree with Nick, the loads are not shy when it comes to using chains and straps. My guess would be locks not up, or not enough were up. When we have space behind the pallets, we put up all the remaining pallets locks up, so if there is movement in the pallets for any reason, there is something there to stop it. W&B would be pretty easy with a load of five vehicles.

The other thing could be the aft lower lobe was not downloaded, meaning a bunch of weight in the rear belly not accounted for. It has happened before. Our W&B has a signoff that the Aft Lower Lobe has been inspected. We have the nose gear sensor, but it just advises that the NLG is not happy with the green band on the pitch trim. It will let you takeoff. If the pitch trim was not in the selected green band, then you get a T/O warning.

RIP
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 AM
E.N.T.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just one question: why there is another date shown in the video, and not
4-29-13???

hmarmaizmd717
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Sgt Shay
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan

Very say video indeed [&o]
Some News claim Quote'' Video evidence has surfaced online. ... The Taliban immediately claimed responsibility for the crash.''

They are investigation the source of the dash cam video..
I wouldn't trust the news media on this at all....they rarely get it right. I know they are crazy over there, but I doubt that anyone in their right mind would put themselves infront of the path of a planned wreck.
guy in the video sounds British...likely he was an MP which could explain the dash cam...and then the way it appears as if he blocked the road...oh and the dog making noise to in the truck.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

guy in the video sounds British...likely he was an MP which could explain the dash cam...and then the way it appears as if he blocked the road...oh and the dog making noise to in the truck.
Point well taken
Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wXJ_MfAnjgQ&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwXJ_MfAnjgQ%26feature%3 Dyoutu.be[/youtube]
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Yeah... Thats is Discowings... he was doing a VTOL. ( You JACKASS!)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 AM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

Dash cams pretty typical in all vehicles now. Bagram is serious Thunderdome from Mad Max movies. It's the cross roads of the world with every possible nationality walking and driving around. Most keep a camera running for liability due to the amount of accidents etc. this guy could be a cook or a MP but most likley a contractor just driving the perimeter to a work site.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Very sad video indeed [&o]

They are investigating the source of the dash cam video..
P.S
After replaying the Dash cam video.. there is something strange about how he react befor and after the plane crash [X(]
Yep,he told his dog to hush. and had almost no reaction to the crash. You would almost have to have pryer knowledge to remain so silent. Just my thought.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

OMG, why did I look at that.

Awful, just awful. There were people in that thing.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

PRAYERS FOR THE FAMILIES
Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Latest reports are stating weather (wind shear) may be a factor. 

Prayers to those lost and their families & friends. 
Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Skyhigh Bev

[color=#FF0099]Gentlemen,
I saw this on the news this morning and then went to the video on my computer as well. Heartbreaking, gut wrenching....just the knowledge that they knew their fate probably 3-4 seconds after rotation.... They did appear to have lift under the left wing at one point... no airspeed, no altitude left.... My only hope is with such a pancake and fully loaded with fuel that death was mercifully instantaneous. I also saw on the news 1) Chatter heard on the radio about the shifting and 2) that the Taliban immediately claimed responsibility (which I think was just wanting to take credit at an opportune moment). Does anyone know why we never heard a 'boom' on that dash cam? Just seems so very odd.

My prayers go out to the seven souls lost and their families....it hurts to watch the final seconds.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 PM
RonTins

RIP to the brave souls whom we just lost aboard the 747. May their souls rest in eternal PEACE!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hustler58

I don't think the nose would come back down if it were tail heavy. It would have done a tail slide.
You think wrong. Sorry.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 AM
warbirdfanatic

Skyhigh Bev, there's too many reasons why you would not hear a boom from the 747, mainly that the camera was in the car, jet's don't normally go boom when they hit the ground, that's just added in movies for effect, it's a loud bang but not what you're thinking i.e. like a bomb!

All we can do is speculate on what happened at the moment and send our condolences to the crew's families, if the Taliban have infact suggested they were the cause then this is complete rubbish and they are taking responsibility for a lie, I also hope that the media do not fall for this kind of rubbish, it's also strange that in the UK there's nothing on the news regarding it apart from a small article on the Sky news website, the current headlines this week in the UK are about the weather and the government - complete crap in my opinion!
Both myself and my wife had a tearful moment watching the vid
Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 AM
Wagon1

Documented load shift of the C2 is also hard to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDmMwI9cik
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Condolences for the crew families, the following is from a news article

Shirley Kaufman, the Vice President of National Air Cargo, the company that owns National Airlines and the plane, did confirm that of those killed, four were pilots, two mechanics, and the last individual was the load master.

National Airlines President Glen Joerger released the following statement:

"This is a devastating loss for our family and we'll work diligently with authorities to find the cause. Most importantly, our thoughts and prayers are with our crewmembers and their families."

Six of the victims were from Michigan and are identified as Brad Hasler, Jeremy Lipka, Jamie Brokaw, Rinku Summan, Michael Sheets, and Gary Stockdale. The last victim, Timothy Garrett, was from Kentucky.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Skyhigh Bev

[color=#FF0099]Warbirdfanatic....Agreed on the Taliban ( opportunists!!!). Perhaps 'boom' was the incorrect word to use.... I've heard car accidents anywhere from in the street in front of my home/business up to ones that happen over a block away...all from inside my house with the airconditioning on and the noise is significant, like a very large firework going off outside your window...enough to startle you...and that's just a car...not the tonnage of a jet hitting the ground and the fuel exploding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.