Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet /Flap set up on Futaba 14sg

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet /Flap set up on Futaba 14sg

Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jet /Flap set up on Futaba 14sg

Helpl!, So I have the Futaba 14sg in my possession and am trying to set up my Boomerang turbine jet. I normally fly JR but it is time for a change. Everything went OK setting the jet up in airplane mode, all surfaces move correctly landing gear and brakes work. My problem is I would like Flaps (4 servo wing -2 flaps/2 ailerons) to work on a three position switch, with neutral flap at top position, take off flap (25 degrees) at middle position and landing flap (85 degrees) at down switched position. I also want elevator compensation with both the mid and full flap positions, and would like to add a little cro , or butterfly, (ailerons up)when in the landing position. I am using a Fasst 14 channel receiver with fplas on ch 7 and 8. Why is this simple task so hard to perform with this radio. On JR radios this took 5 minutes, plus I had Flight conditions in airplane mode. Does anyone know an easy way to accomplish this feat. Will there be a software update so that we can have conditions in Airplane mode? My only other issue will be setting up the throttle channel and end points for the turbine throttle learn procedure, and dealing with a digital trim on the throttle for starting up /shutting down the engine. I read the throttle trim can be moved to another switch/ or lever. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Jet /Flap set up on Futaba 14sg

Jack Bob B is that man to talk too. Im sure he will chime in soon.

It was a hard transition for me also when I first switched but I could not be happier now for the simple fact I don't have lockout problems anymore.

From what I understand to use flight conditions you need to set up the plane in glider mode. I tried this and gave up and just don't use conditions anymore. I agree a simple software update would fix this and I really wish they would.

For the flap mix. I guess you can just make new mixes for those. My problem is with only 5 mixes I used them all up and cant do anything for flaps

Bob B is da man and will get you straight when he sees this.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Jack glad to help it might be easier to talk so I'll pm my cell#
Bob
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: gunradd

From what I understand to use flight conditions you need to set up the plane in glider mode. I tried this and gave up and just don't use conditions anymore. I agree a simple software update would fix this and I really wish they would.

For the flap mix. I guess you can just make new mixes for those. My problem is with only 5 mixes I used them all up and cant do anything for flaps

Bob B is da man and will get you straight when he sees this.

No, you do not need to be in glider mode to get conditions. Just need to set the surfaces as single, not group.
Flap mix is handled in both the camber flap, and the airbrake menues .... some of it is intuitive, and some of it is Martian....

Greg
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Bob_B

Jack good talking with you.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Bob_B

Gun just read your post again, sounds like you and I need to talk at JOK about your setup.

Good Luck at Top Gun! You'll do great!

@ Greg, Your right but Jack did not want to use the Camber Flap program.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes Bob we do lol.

I just keep putting the programming stuff off because it flies so good like it is. But the thrust vectoring ate all my mixes along with the nose steering BTW I also need help getting the servo slow to work on the flaps the right way. The way I did it its only 2 position so its full up or full down only. Would love to add a mid flap position.

After TG I will call you. I need to send out my 8711 stab servos in for service anyway (jitters) so will be down for a bit.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 AM
malcolmholt

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several ways of programming two-position flaps on the 14SG but the following method illustrates that it can be very simple.By default, the Left Dial (LD) is assigned to control the flaps when you select a 2AIL + 2FLAP wing. Go to the Function Menu and change this to the 3-position switch of your choice.Connect the flaps to their servos so that they are fully raised when the switch is in the UP position and 85 degrees down when the switch is in the fully DOWN position. Fine tune with the end points if necessary but try to get as close as possible to the required movement by mechanical adjustments.With neutral flap and landing flap positions established, move the switch to its mid position. Go to the Dual Rate Menu. Select Flap and adjust the Neutral Point (NT) until the flaps are at the required 25 degrees. (NT = +35 should be fairly close depending on the linkage geometry). The advantage of adjusting the Neutral Point is that it does not affect the fully raised and fully lowered positions.Assuming that the control linkages for both flaps are identical, that’s all there is to it.To generate Crow you could use the Airbrake Menu. On screen 2/2 assign the same switch that you used for the flaps and make sure that the Airbrake Mix is only ON when the switch is in its fully down position. (This should be the default setting). On screen 1/2 enter values for AIL and AIL2 to achieve the desired crow movement. You can set the elevator compensation here as well, if you wish.Conditions are not available in Airplane Mode but you can achieve a great deal by means of the Dual Rate Menu. For example, you could use it to set up your elevator compensation. In the Dual Rate Menu select Elevator. There are five available switched settings. Assign the Flap switch to rates 4 (mid switch = ON) and 5 (down switch = ON). Switch on each rate in turn and adjust the NT to give the required amount of elevator compensation. If required, you can also set different rate and exponential values for take off and landing here. Thus the single switch deploys flaps, crow, elevator compensation with appropriate rates and exponential. No, it is not a full flight condition, but it is pretty close.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:50 AM
malcolmholt

Not sure where the formatting disappeared to! It did start off with paragraphs but I expect you can work it out.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:30 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a recurring problem for those changing from JR to Futaba, for flaps and aileron functions use the "Airbrake"menu all the functions are there including elevator compensation and switch/dial/slider assignment.

Mike
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 AM
malcolmholt

Yes, but Airbrake only gives a single position. The OP asked about two position flaps.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM
BaldEagel

If you put the Airbrake function on a three position switch it will give you three position flap on the ATV function, or alternatively put the function onto a side slider and have infinitely variable positions, you can even have the function connected to throttle to put the flap and reflex away to a half positon flap automatically if you open up to go around.

Mike
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM
malcolmholt

The original post on this thread asked for help setting up two-position flaps on a 14SG. Are you talking about a different transmitter? The airbrake feature on the 14SG is not proportional. It is switched and is able to move the flaps, ailerons and elevators to preset offsets.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
BaldEagel

Malcolm

Sorry I got the wrong TX I have a 14MZ and a 12FG that can both do what I have reported, did not realise the 14SG was that limited seeing as the lowly 12FG can do it.

Mike
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
FlyUtah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is everyone's level of overall satisfaction with the new 14SG?

I just ordered one this week and would be interested to hear pros/cons.

Mark
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice if it had flight modes/conditions for airplanes. Still only for gliders/helis by the sounds of it which is the same as the 8FGS 14 channel.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Thank you all for your help, Bob was extremely generous to help me over the phone. Malcolm I purchased your excellent e-book and am reading through it, much better than the user manual. The 14sg programing reminds me of my Airtronics sg-10 very similar. I will be programming tomorrow. Thanks again, jack.