Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

IR range adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default IR range adjuster

On my T-34 I added the IR range adjustment that I had worked on. I removed the resistor on the DBC3 and added in a 500 ohm Trim pot. This is mounted under the periscope on the T-34, I can now dial in the range from 0-30 +

If everyone started doing this it would add some more variety to IR battling.

My idea would be to have every tank set as a medium and then differentiate the weight class by the IR range. Shermans would have to close within 15 meters to score hit on KT's where as KT would have the full 30 meter range..

Anyway it is very simple to do. It is about a $3 mod to any Battle system

[link=http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/ir-range-adjustment.html]IR range adjustor[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59591.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1878312  
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: IR range adjuster

Now Dan, come up with a working system for the Tamiya and then we'll have something.

Imagine... Shermans no longer scoring hits on KT's and KT's blowing the crap out of Shermans from long range!

Now THAT is REAL TANKING son!!

(oh yeah... nice work too)

~ Jeff
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM
YHR

This is very simple to do. I can wire up harness and have them available if people want them. I will add these as an item on my web page. They will work with any system. Of course I can't extend the range on the weaker systems, but for a system that is capable of 30 meters this device will allow you to adjust the range downward to 0. So basically you would just plug this harness into your Tamiya system, and you will have a adjustable pot to dial in the range of the emitter.

So what you will get is an IR LED, two wire harness with an adjustable pot. This will just plug into any system IR port.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Great idea.

It would add a new dimention to battles.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously you will never get true realism with IR battling, & I wouldn't want it anyway really, because I sure don't want to be knocked out with a single hit in just about every battle because I chose an undergunned Sherman as my tank choice. Maybe realistic, but certainly not going to be fun in my opinion.

Besides that, everyone is definitely not going to agree which options will always make the battling better, & which options will always make it worse, because people will have varying ideas & opinions on what constitues enough realism & having a great time while they IR battle.

I can see a setup like this would work on any system regardless, since it alters the IR signal strength between the board & LED with the plug-in harness you could put together. That is great for current boards & a cool option if anyone wanted to test it.

Still, I would not like all tanks with the same hits, I would still like to use the varying hit strengths depending on the armor class of the particular tank, along with being able to vary the IR distance for the type of gun being used on the same tank, again, this is something I don't believe everyone will agree with, so majority rules I guess for any battle with the option available ... but at least having the option at all to even be able to have to make the choice is what makes it a good thing in my opinion. The more options the better!

Funny timing of just now starting a new thread on an idea which has been thrown around before, because just several minutes before Dan's opening post, I had already written & sent Clark an email expressing my desire for him to possibly make the Clark boards IR range adjustable, by either using a jumper pin setting for (short, medium, long) ranges, or adding a pot for the adjustment. I suggest everyone who owns a Clark board, or will some day possibly own one, maybe email him & ask for that as an on board option. When enough customers, or potential customers urge him enough for certain features, many times, if at all possible, he implements them! I would like this feature on any future Clark board I purchase.

~ Craig ~
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple yet brilliant.

This is one of those ideas that works across all platforms, regardless of whether you're running a $150 tank or have $2000 invested. Standardization would really help this hobby, but would take a serious commitment to implement.

Best case scenario would have a club test out your idea by having enough of the harnesses with the same emitters and pots on hand to pass out for the battle, with each tank having an agreed upon connector on the IR lead. If the club had success with it, it could catch on with others.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree with the one shot and you're out not being appealing, but it would have to be based on production too. Like 10 Shermans against a couple of Tigers.

(sick I know)

~ Jeff
Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM
ssrc30

How long does it take to do this mod?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Obviously you will never get true realism with IR battling, & I wouldn't want it anyway really, because I sure don't want to be knocked out with a single hit in just about every battle because I chose an undergunned Sherman as my tank choice. Maybe realistic, but certainly not going to be fun in my opinion.

Besides that, everyone is definitely not going to agree which options will always make the battling better, & which options will always make it worse, because people will have varying ideas & opinions on what constitues enough realism & having a great time while they IR battle.

I can see a setup like this would work on any system regardless, since it alters the IR signal strength between the board & LED with the plug-in harness you could put together. That is great for current boards & a cool option if anyone wanted to test it.

Still, I would not like all tanks with the same hits, I would still like to use the varying hit strengths depending on the armor class of the particular tank, along with being able to vary the IR distance for the type of gun being used on the same tank, again, this is something I don't believe everyone will agree with, so majority rules I guess for any battle with the option available ... but at least having the option at all to even be able to have to make the choice is what makes it a good thing in my opinion. The more options the better!

Funny timing of just now starting a new thread on an idea which has been thrown around before, because just several minutes before Dan's opening post, I had already written & sent Clark an email expressing my desire for him to possibly make the Clark boards IR range adjustable, by either using a jumper pin setting for (short, medium, long) ranges, or adding a pot for the adjustment. I suggest everyone who owns a Clark board, or will some day possibly own one, maybe email him & ask for that as an on board option. When enough customers, or potential customers urge him enough for certain features, many times, if at all possible, he implements them! I would like this feature on any future Clark board I purchase.

~ Craig ~
Well I offered this up quite some time ago, but lately ideas are resurfacing as unique and game changing so before some one tries to patent an idea, you just need to make it common knowledge on a public site, I posted this idea at least a year ago so there is a very clear time dated audit trail

When I got the last batch of DBC3 built I was going to add this, but it is so simple to do through an LED harness it wasn't worth the time and effort to redesign the board.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 PM
YHR

Depends how good you are with a soldering iron. 15 minutes would be probably all it would take to build yourself, and it is a very simple project.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
ssrc30

Might be worth looking into soon as I get the battle system set up...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM
YHR

Here is a harness I just built, Could be used with any system.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96114.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1878349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60307.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1878350  
Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Dan. Can we do a demo and some tests at Danville? I sure hope you will make it. I would love to see the tank battles get more realistic. The more I play World of Tanks the more I realize how difficult it is to simulate tank battle with IR and the TBU. Agreeing not to do the "Fan/Sweep shot" is a big step in the right direction. The cone shaped TBU reflectors and eliminating the apple fins for slope defense would be fine with me. If there is a simple way to up-fit I would like to try it myself. After-all only the light or medium tanks would need to have it.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
YHR

Sorry Bob, I won't make this one.

More set up is required with this though. Nice thing about this is you can move your target( Lets say 15 meters out) and keep adjusting the pot until the sensor won't light up when it is fired upon to adjust the range. These adjustments are sensitive, and to try and come up with a resistance value would depend on other variables in your wiring. With a trim pot, every single tank is dailed in to get the effective range, and no one really cares about the value of the resistor. All you care about it that a medium tank only has a 15 meter range.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I think it's cool that adding this new feature still allows you to play "standard" battles.

If I'm the only one at a club meet that has this, I can still play, If others also have it, then we have more choices of tank type to choose from.

It's a win - win.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
ssrc30

Feel free to use my tank as a guinea pig lol
Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Green Amphibian

I agree on the win - win on this one. I would like to have two with one modification. Put a IR plug receptacle on it so the currently installed IR can be plugged into it instead of having to pull it out and install the new one. Mine would be a bear to try and remove and replace.While it is still a functioning unit I do not want to go through the hassle of doing it.

Herman
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM
YHR

That would be easy enough to do Herman, and I agree, it would make that much easier for guys who already have their LED fitted in the Barrel
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 PM
CHIEFSONN

With more realism to the game. that is great Dan thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Ronan87

I'm surprised this isn't standard.... It makes so much sense without having to deal with too much realism (Sherman dying in 1 hit vs a KT).

Really awsome YHR.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its a great idea but would put some people straight out of the game. think about it. A Sherman would never get a kill and always get killed.
 just my opinion which don't mean much.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:41 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Panther G

I think its a great idea but would put some people straight out of the game. think about it. A Sherman would never get a kill and always get killed.
just my opinion which don't mean much.

Well maybe but it might add a degree of strategy as well. The Shermans would have to move fast and get in close to be effective.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Green Amphibian

This is not a device that restricts the number of hits your tank takes before being killed. If your tank is set at 6, or 9 it will still take 6, or 9 to kill it. This is not a device that is going to allow someone to kill your tank with one hit.

Herman
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM
CHIEFSONN

Good point you brought out Herman! It does not slow down how fast you can shoot nor does it shorten the amount of hits,it just brings you closer to the big boys.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
SGTMAJMVJ

I think this is a great idea. I can do my own soldering. Using the IR range adjuster set a heavy tank on medium setting and medium tank on light setting would really increase the level of realism. Think about this that you can kill a heavy with 5 hits and kill a medium with 3 hits and reduce the medium to 15 foot range. A medium set on light can shoot every 3 seconds and score almost twice as many hits on a heavy tank that is set on medium waiting to shoot every 5 seconds. I would like to see a battle set up this way at Danville. Maybe six Allied medium tanks against 2 Axis heavy tanks. More accurate ratios.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.