Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.
View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Bro******** e-book published
Yes - that would be great !
73.91%
Not particularly
26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bro ********'s Custom Boards

Howzit BC

I am finding that the 'torque tab' is also very beneficial. Not only when I am surfing the lefts - but even when - I pull away - accelerate - and am travelling across the water, it drastically reduces that tendency to roll to the right.....especially when travelling over the chop.

Its also been amazing to me how a tiny adjustment makes such a significant difference. Trimming the board down, into the water is a better substitute than adding weight when conditions get windy and rough.

I doubt to many folk would be bothered with all the tabs - I do find them to be the simplest solution to setting the board up on the day.

Bro'

Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 AM
bearcave

and one more comment before i hibernate...

I remember the HP ski boats used to have occy straps wound around the steering pulling it hard left to make it less effort for the driver to counteract the torque steer when on the plane and some hulls had extra trim one side to keep the boat more square to the water surface too....

and drag cars have heavier springs etc on one side to get both wheels makin traction on launch too... all relating to torque.... hence i guess why motorbikes are usualy chain driven with the torquing crankshaft forces of the engine producing lift or down force not side to side forces...

anyway just another 4c opinion but like you say sharin any knowledge from all area's can only help expand our minds and make a better ******** for those who are interested..... thinkin outside the box with many ideas makes the world go round hey..

bc
Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 AM
YPC

Howzit BC..all good comparisons....and the bigger the prop .....the greater the torque roll.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 AM
bearcave

Hey Bro....

bigger the prop bigger the torque roll no doubt... guess why big power boats have twin screws counter rotating...... and little adjustments here and there are very important to whatever one is doing hey.....

gotta go Bro much to do wish it was rcsurfing wise but always checkin your stuff keep up the great work.

bc

Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 AM
kev.d

Howzit Bro'

This is really a cool development. Makes a lot of sense, I must say. The conditions are different everytime you go out, so some fine tuning has got to be benefical.GREAT IDEA!

Kev
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 AM
YPC

Hey Kev. .........and that coming from an 'engineer!'.........LOL

I was hoping to glass your board to-day but the weather is risky......a tad cold in the workshop.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
trippergreenfeet

Man things change around here quick, don't check in for a while and the developments that go down really change the way we are approaching these surfers.

Dom, the adjustable trim tab makes so much sense why has it not been thought of already, isn't that an age old question.

Some thoughts to add, coming from the flying side of RC where we use mixes regularly, the tab could be setup with auto adjustment (mixing). This could be done in a couple of ways depending on water conditions using a second servo slaved to the throttle channel. This of course would need larger component area built into the board to accomodate a second servo and a "Golden rod" style control mechanisim.

#1: Have the trim tab slaved to throttle with a mix...when the board increases/decreases speed, the trim tab adjusts accordingly.

#2: Have the trim tab slaved to throttle as above, but have it on a switch so the mix can be overridden manually. When the mix is overridden, it defaults to a dial/slider on the TX allowing manual trim tab adjustment on the go as conditions require.my 2c worth.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
YPC

Howzit TGF........thanks for 'pulling in'

Great ideas !....."all things are possible".......its a case of - one step at a time. I'm wanting to see how the current tabs stand up to the surfing conditions before I venture forward.

Servo driven trim tabs have been employed on rc racing boats for quite some time with good results. Your suggested throttle / tail trim tab tab is a good option.

It would also be great to have a trim tab on either side of the board (as the torque tab) - mixed in with the rudder, to further assist with the lean in the turns...[8D]

Bro'

Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 PM
trippergreenfeet

I didn't know about servo driven trim tabs on rc boats, never been into that side of the hobby.

Understand "one step at a time" mate, but I just couldn't help myself, ha, ha. You really have me thinking about some cool stuff.

I like your Floater too man, bit of a fish thing going on there, you mentioned it having good release through the turns. Can't beat a deep swallow tail in that regard, one of my favourite boards had a deep swallow, released really well in the pocket.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 PM
YPC

Howzit TGF......I genuinely welcome all your input...it all works collectively towards ...'progress'

My ultimate challenge is trying to take all this experience and R&D 'development' and pour it into 'one cup' (one ultimate board)........LOL.... cant help myself but to try !
I need to rewrite my list of priorities and establish it from their.....however....at the moment I am really enjoying rcSurfing the current boards.

Honing my skills to surf these boards is also part of the journey......to a degree, its pretty much like starting real surfing...... One needs to develop/improve one's 'depth of field perception - especially when surfing on different planes on the wave face which is constantly changing - timing is also critical and like real surfing needs to be more 'instinctive'. Reading the wave from the beach seems quite different than when actually on it......Getting to know how the board functions/responds on different waves in different conditions ( like wind and chop) also takes a while....all just great fun !.....and I'm loving it.

Bro'

Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 AM
YPC

Trim Tab R&D....... I have been testing the durability of the trim tabs as much as possible over the past days and "unfortunately" the tabs continue to be ripped off the board. I have tried various bonding methods and every one has failed so far....(EATING MY WORDS)........ the forces on impact and when turning on the wave face are far more immense than what I imagined. The actual 'reed' is not breaking......its just the bond to the board that separates.

Ivan van Vuuren with his son & Gary van Rooyen (Both SA legend surfers - wind surfers - SUPB surfers).....who knows......maybe Bro Surfers someday.......LOL
Hanging out at Long Beach to-day - SA Long board Championship Final !
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM
kev.d

No worries, Dom.

I have started shaping the pod. It looks a little like a miniture coffin right now, but hope to finish it off tomorrow. Sorry to hear about the trim tabs coming off!

Kev
Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 AM
YPC

Hey Kev..keep it going...

No worries about the trim tabs.....the board still surfs very well without them.......having the extra adjustment just helps one dial it in that much better on the day. We will get it sorted

Surf Report:
Had a great session on the West Coast this morning at Blouberg Beach. SE 'side shore' breeze -on a lazy, slightly bumpy wave....always STOKED......!

This spot is always so picturesque- with Table Mountain - the City Center - Robin Island - and all the shipping traffic as a back drop across Table bay.
The vibe on the beach is also very cool- with small markets trading - folk running /walking/roller blading by - and everyone enjoying the STOKE of Bro' doing his thing !

No adjustable trim tabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC71bA6BKGs Music - by a good friend of mine "Andre de Villiers" - really knows how to share his heart through his music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK2PEvTSCo NW Monday and Tuesday.....looks like it will be a 'busy' week !

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 PM
YPC

Had a great 4 pack session yesterday afternoon....4 ft face - off shore - breeze....working at pulling more floaters and coming of the white water back onto the face. The approach speed and angle is critical - and - as with all moves - timing is every thing !

Possible session this afternoon 'again'....someone has to do it ..........LOL

Bro'
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM
YPC

Howzit Guys !..........Had a real fun late afternoon surf session to-day......A very curious 'young seal' pulled in and seemed quite taken by Bro....LOL

Hung around for the entire session.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmMHivCu51U

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM
bricedenice

very nice ! surf with a seal ... one time a seagull when to eat my rc surfer ! tha's live.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM
kev.d

Classic Session Dom....Glassy with some nice long faces. Great Vid!

Glad to see Bro survived the seal. I thought the seal was gonna get him for sure. Must have been a bit miffed that he lost his breakfast.

An added aspect to this great hobby/sport.

Kev
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
YPC

Howzit Kev. .....it was a real fun session...a few great waves.....to end the day.

Luckily Lisa-Marie was able to join me for a while to film this one.

The Seal had an absolute ball....I don't think it was wanting to actually bite Bro ( he could have so easily) he was just 'having fun' He would even wait for me to put Bro back in when I got washed up on the shore break......LOL

I'm always hoping to film a Great White is the surf with Bro'......LOL

I'm hoping to finish glassing your board to-day - The hull is complete - just the deck to go.........hopefully the day warms up.

Bro'

Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 AM
bearcave

Hey Bro.

Seal vid is awesome... jimmi had some gigantor seal pics a while back but seein one in action is the best.... 

just sayin but when surfin with dolphins they seem to like surfin within the downward face even sometimes gettin their slippery pods out of the water and havin a skim... but reckon that seal was just humpin the break to eat some fiberplastic Brosurfer... and just waitin for you guys to chuck him back in for another go hey.... 

Seal was prob thinkin.... "after some waves and some fun will have a brosurfer in my tum.. hmm yum yum".... obviously seal doesn't realise its a fiberglassy not fishy but hey we all have to learn whats edible and whats not at some time... lol.

Sea creatures are the best... great vid Bro.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 AM
YPC

Thanks BC.....its seems to have been a special Vid for quite a number of folk.....will certainly go down in my memory files as 'one to remember'....

Hoping to squeeze in a session later this afternoon/evening......see if SAMMY is waiting .........LOL

Bro'
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 PM
YPC

Had a quick single pack session late this afternoon.......all it takes is 20 minutes to have some FUN !........rcSurfing that is........LOL

Even when the surf is far from perfect......I find it fun and challenging to eek out that section of 'clean wave face' to carve or that 'sweet spot' on the lip...to pull an aerial move.....it offers good wave reading- timing and reaction practice......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-vywPx3wY

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM
bearcave

hey bro could say your surfin is gettin better or maybe was just waitin for sammy to bite your ass....lol... so will just say what i see and that  'Lisa marie camera girl vision versions" just get better and better..... all good bro just sayin... bc
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 AM
YPC

Howzit BC......all good !

I took the float'er out for a session today. I had changed the motor to a higher kv and wanted to test it. Man !....that board rips !......
It is so responsive.......cant wait to get it onto some decent hollow face again....it is seriously fun to surf..carves any which way... unbelievably stable.

Bro'

Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 AM
YPC

Surfed the [size=3]float'er [/size]again to-day ( Friday).......Lisa-Marie was able to join me to take the video.

Lisa-Marie reckons the floater is at times to fast for her to react to the change of direction on the wave face and that it sticks to the wave like a magnet being drawn....LOL

My take on the float'er in these conditions......very happy.....surfs the on-shore very well..... it is - very stable - surfs flat -smooth - very responsive to steering- I don't have to preempt a move - it responds immediately !.....handles the white water well....enjoys pulling floater's.....has a very 'fluid feel' when carving on the face.....allows one to be a little more creative/aggressive on the wave.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg86MWiAsJY Running with only a 27mm prop as I am out of 30mm's......still has great Kick !

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:14 AM
YPC

Saturday evening session with the float'er.............100 YouTube uploads......man its been fun !

a closer look at the float'ers hull.....unfortunately our camera packed up only a few minutes into the first battery ........I guess its time for a new one !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYBtVGeyOFs Bro'

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.