Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

ORIGINAL: peter w h

Hey guys,Well,,, thank you for all the kind words.Noah, anytime you want to take the ''sticks'' just say the word.Chick, Larry, Noah, Charlie, can't say enough about you guys, thanks for all your help. We have planed a weekend trip to Top Gun to plead our case and hopefully gain a spot in next years line up.To finish up all the little details, prepare for the trip and then rush a maiden flight possibly putting the aircraft at risk is too much for this guy this year. A maiden will happen hopefully in late May in a non-rushed state of mind when the weather and me have settled down. Gary-(Ram3500-RCU) , hope to meet up with you down there as well as any or all of the ''gang''.Peter H.
I well understand your thinking. We were committed to a Top Gun entry last year that I wish we had had another month to get ready for. We got through it, and even managed a second place finish with one of our planes, but only because we had one of the best pilots in the world in Dino Digorgio flying that one. It was stressful and made for some very long evenings of work on the plane. It robbed us of some of the fun we should have had competing in such a prestigious invitational event. As much as I would like to see you and your plane there, you are making good decisions.

But, think about this. Frank has another event in the fall (October). It is called Monster Planes, and this year he is combining 12 O'Clock High with it. Same field, same people (in fact you will see many of the planes and pilots that you will read about from this years Top Gun there). Although there are some nice awards, it is not a true competition, just a fun event and very relaxed. You will make those connections you want and make many new friends in the world of scale building. My first trip to Monster Planes is what led to my first invitation to Top Gun. They get to see your work and your flying skills as well. Plus, you get some valuable experience on the same field you would compete on at Top Gun. This is huge as every field has it's quirks. At Top Gun it is the cross winds and the loooong flight line behind you, yet the need to think in terms of the judges next to you and what they can see. Plus, you need to talk while you fly, announcing your maneuvers as you do them. This is something I needed to practice because normally, I don't talk while I fly. I do it all the time now to be more comfortable in competition.

I am hoping to go to Monster Planes / 12 O'Clock High this fall myself and would love to meet you and introduce you to some of the movers and shakers with other events. You would certainly be in a good spot for an invite to Top Gun 2014. I plan to be there as well.

As with others, I'm looking forward to seeing the report on those first flights. Look forward to meeting you in person. Sorry I missed that opportunity at Toledo. I would have liked to shake your hand. I was there on Saturday, but spent most of the day talking with suppliers of many of the items I use in building, and looking for new things coming out. Got to go out to dinner with Mitch and Ron from Down & Locked and that is always a good time.

Anyway, cheers
Gary
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow frank on facebook. I dont facebook much but he sent out invites to some facebook followers. abt only thing i like it for is seeing new pics of grandkids

Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pete, "WHEN" you go to Top Gun next year, I'd like to volunteer to be a member of your Pit Crew. Smile. Chic
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 AM
peter w h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: redtail

Pete, "WHEN" you go to Top Gun next year, I'd like to volunteer to be a member of your Pit Crew. Smile. Chic
Welcome aboard Chic.I will keep you posted of times and dates.Peter
Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chic,
I know what you're up to you figure since Peter will have to pass right by your house on his way to Top Gun and you can ply him with beer so he'll help you on your Avenger. Wish he was passing by mine
If I thought the wife would let me join u two I would gladly ride in the trailer.
Praying for good weather and light winds here on the 28th for the maiden flight, should have video (good or bad) a few days after.
I am already planning on the additions to the Avenger when I take full possession next year, won't be as cool as Peters but I will add panel lines and rivets after I finish my Trojan.
Chic cant wait to see your progress on the beast.

Trying to talk the wife into a road trip down your way, maybe we can do dinner and I can sneak the C119 into the back of my car. LOL

Larry
Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
redtail

Hey Larry, do you like "ribs", smile. Come on down. I'll sneak the $ 19 into the trunk when your wife and Shirley go shopping and we go to the new Smithsonian Air/Space Museum. Good luck on the maiden, you know all of us will be there with you in spirit. Hopefully, by next years Top Gun, I'll have my bird ready to maiden. I did not say at maiden it will look as great as Peter's. He certainly gave me something to shoot for. O' I pray it so.

You are right, I'll tempt Peter into passing by this way just to get a hands on look at his bird with gifts of crates of Lablatt, Molson, or Moosehead beer. That will get him. I figured I'd fly down to Top Gun and meet up with him there. All of us should come on down at least one day to inspire Peter on toward victory. That would really be kool or cool or "sick" as the kids now say. Chic
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 AM
lkahn4

Hey Chic
So I sent the wife your reply, she thinks were nuts but she is wavering about the visit which is a good thing. She totally missed the part about the C119 (whew).
Wife thinks I'm nuts and that she will relagated to only plane friends when we get to Arizona. I told her she could make all the friends she wants... I will still have my RC friends across the country.
I think I have her 90% convinced about Top Gun next year since we haven't been in about 15 years.
Maybe you can ply Peter with enough Molson and convince him he's in HIS shop and he has to finish his plane just a thought.
Ribs are fine, always up for good food....

Will keep you posted

Larry
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM
redtail

Hey all Avengers, the offer of good food and a trip to the new Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is open to you all and certainly on me. Smile. Chic
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
peter w h

Lock and Load gentlemen ROAD TRIP !!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97914.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	1872993  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
redtail

SMILE
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
maser

Peter,

Congrats. It is a superb model. You are truly a master builder

Boyd
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
lkahn4

Hey gang,
Just got back from the field. Maiden flight mostly uneventful.
Had a friend fly the maiden as I was way to nervous and my build partner wanted nothing to do with seeing it fly (scared would be a much better description)
Have a few issues to work on, need to swap out the rudder servo, rework the steering on the tail wheel and last but not least we have to rebuild the crew door which is somewhere in the high brush.
Considering that one guy lost a brand new PAU plane in the water, which we were able to retrieve, plane and electronics a total loss, but we did manage to get back his brand new DA60. Two other guys had dead sticks and crashed but with minor damage.
Good thing the wind was right down the runway at about 15+mph helped slow down the plane, even with the small amount of flaps that we have it really helped, roll out was a bit scary but stopped short of the end of the runway.
Hope to have the small kinks worked out and back in the air by the end of June, want to get my P38 back in the air.

Thanks for all your support

Larry

Old 04-28-2013, 01:20 PM
redtail

Larry, I could not be more happy for you. Of course, you add to the motivation for me to get off my a** and get to work. My heart is in the right place so there is hope. "Way To Go", now it is your turn to take the controls. Smile. Chic
Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM
lkahn4

Chic,
Thanks. Totally intend to do the next flight though the short runway scares the S*%# out of me.
If there was anymore $$ in the kitty I would seriously consider wheel brakes.
Now it's your turn....other wise I might have to tell Shirley I'm going to pay you alot more for the c119 than I am (smile)

Larry
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 AM
butlern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go, Larry!!!! Another Kellogg Avenger takes flight!

Congratulations, my friend.

Once you become more familiar with the plane you'll have no problems (or fears) of flying it in tighter spots.

Any pictures or video?

Noah
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 AM
lkahn4

Thank Noah,
Will post photos tonight, unfortunately I don't think anyone took video. Hopefully on the next flight. The only thing that sacres me is that we fly over the water except for take offs and landings

Larry
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 AM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay away from the Devil's Triangle then.

No TBFs at Sod Busters Warbird Invasion.  Aug 22 will be the next WWII display and hope a TBF comes.  Mine won't be finished utill next year.

Ray W.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
lkahn4

Hey gang,
Here are 2 pix, files are way too large for here. I will email the rest

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52736.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1877395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76137.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1877396  
Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
butlern

Excellent, Larry!!

Wow... that is a lot of water around your field!

Great job!

Noah
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
redtail

OK Larry, looking at all that water, I am envisioning a test torpedo run with a climb out back along the shoreline. God, it looks god. I can not wait. Chic
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM
maser

Larry,

Looking good. I know the plane flys well, as Noah can attest too.

Boyd.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 AM
peter w h

Great job Larry, I have some serious catching up to do.

Off to Top Gun this morning to learn the ropes, keep you posted and will bring back pics.

Peter

Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 AM
butlern

Safe travels, Peter.

Looking forward to your report and photos!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM
gibb
My Feedback: (7)

Maiden flight tomorrow for me. Hoping for good luck and calm winds.

Jim
Old 05-04-2013, 02:36 AM
lkahn4

Jim,
Lot's of luck, we are with you in spirit. As nervous as it can be rest assured it will fly like a dream.
The only thing I was concerned about was the landing and roll out after touchdown, luckily the winds were above 15mph+.
Make sure your engine cutoff switch is working we only have appx 300' of paved runway.

Again Good LUCK
Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.