Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Operation of Brakes on Tx

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Operation of Brakes on Tx

Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Ozmodeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation of Brakes on Tx

Guys

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding placement of the brake operating switch/lever/stick, currently I have mine on the left slider (mode one, DX18QQ) but have been thinking of moving it to operate on down elevator, it would appear to me be a better arrangement than having to reach for a lever etc.

Peter
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM
topiwala

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Operation of Brakes on Tx

I have had it on down elevator. Programmable mix with down elevator which is activated when gear is down. Mix is off when gear up. Works well.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:25 PM
siclick33

I tend to do a full control movement check as I taxy out and have caught myself out more than once by inadvertantly applying the brakes when I check down elevator.

If I run out of channels then I use the down elevator mix but, if possible, I prefer to use a slider.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is gonna be one of those things that you have to just go with what works for you. I'm a "slider" lever guy, always have been. I'm also a proponent of the JetTronic zero loss electric brake valve (the newer one that doesn't leak like a civ). It's a proportional valve, my latest one was purchased a year ago and they seem to really have gotten better compared to the older ones. I've also used BVM smooth stops. I like proportional braking and the slider allows a lot of flexibility with these types of brake systems.

Some swear by the elevator link mix. For me, in a full scale airplane you never push forward on the stick when braking, if anything it's the other way around so it never made sense to me to take weight off the mains where the brakes are and put it on the nose wheel while potentially inducing a skid or controlability issue. But that's just me. If I didn't have the extra channel I'd probably mix brakes to a switch like Tam does with his all in one brake setup.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:35 PM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I keep mine on a slider on the right side, this prevents interfering with the steering side of the remote during the braking period.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Seen that many planes bounce because of the down elevator mix application if you have to go for the picks before the aircraft is slow eneough you will be looking for the tissue box.
Cheers
Mav
Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree slider is the way to go...with non proportional brake valves I put them on the trainer switch and just momentarily bump it/hold it as needed
Old 05-04-2013, 03:16 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter, mix it with down elevator, easy to control and works perfectly.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:16 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Pushing down elevator also makes the nose steering more sensitive and if its an f16 or something like one you will mess up your wingtips and tear off your missile rails.

The last thing you want to do is apply down elevator when landing hot. You will toast your plane with the bandit hop.

Right slider is the way to go.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:04 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use right slider proportionally with Jetronic valves. Works well for me. Use what feels comfortable for you.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:06 PM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

HOW MIX TO TRAINER BUTTON?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:35 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm with Fender and the other guys that said Right slider, steering is very important during landing.

If using a proportional valve, right slider.
If using a non proportional valve, right slider or right two position switch ( on/off )
Old 05-04-2013, 04:40 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Like Feander and Eddie. I like the right slider with a BVM smooth stop. Full propo is the only way I can feel like I have full controll of the brake when I want it. The Smooth stop is just like retract Cyl. If you keep it serviced it will work every time and won't leak air
Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

I am another proponent of the slider. The use of a separate channel allows a parking brake to be applied when the jet is unattended.
Also, with a slider, the brakes can be partially applied when the jet is on short final. With the brakes are partially applied, the jet will usually stick better at touchdown, reducing the chance of bouncing.
You can't do that with the brakes coupled to the elevator.
I use a BVM Smooth Stop II proportional valve, and will not switch.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: mavrick

Seen that many planes bounce because of the down elevator mix application if you have to go for the picks before the aircraft is slow eneough you will be looking for the tissue box.
Cheers
Mav
Urban myth. It's not really possible to "bounce" an airplane with down elevator once it is on the ground.

More sensitive steering because of added pressure on the nose wheel? Negligible in my experience and probably no more nose pressure from partial down elevator than the braking action itself. The wing tipping issues with F-16's and other narrow gear jets invariably has to do with turning too sharply at too high a speed and/or uneven braking side-to-side.

Both brake operation methods work for different people. I personally prefer to keep my hand on the sticks during rollout (like full scale) and having brakes on down elevator lets me do that. Decide for yourself what works but don't believe that either method is "right" or "wrong".

You can even have it both ways....I use down elevator on landing and the slider for a parking brake or even a slight pre-load on landing like Harley suggests.

Craig

Old 05-04-2013, 05:16 PM
stevekott

Right Slider AND down Elevator. Right slider for Parking Brake or to "Pre-Brake" on occasion.

I'm with EddieP, It seems wrong to push forward on the yoke while braking for all the reasons he mentioned. But after trying it I wound up liking it. Sometimes have to use two mixes doing exactly the same thing to get enough travel. Favorite brake valves are the Jetronic Low Loss Valve and on the last couple I used the UP-6. It's a little hassle using a servo but ... The UP-6 works like an air pressure regulator rather than a pulse valve. It uses very little air even in mid-position. Very Smooth.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Cheers
Mav
Urban myth. It's not really possible to ''bounce'' an airplane with down elevator once it is on the ground.

More sensitive steering because of added pressure on the nose wheel? Negligible in my experience and probably no more nose pressure from partial down elevator than the braking action itself. The wing tipping issues with F-16's and other narrow gear jets invariably has to do with turning too sharply at too high a speed and/or uneven braking side-to-side.

Both brake operation methods work for different people. I personally prefer to keep my hand on the sticks during rollout (like full scale) and having brakes on down elevator lets me do that. Decide for yourself what works but don't believe that either method is ''right'' or ''wrong''.

You can even have it both ways....I use down elevator on landing and the slider for a parking brake or even a slight pre-load on landing like Harley suggests.

Craig

+1, That is how all my Jets are set up, even the F16. All roll to a stop in a straight line . Just don't jump on the brakes all at once, that's when you will need those tissues.........LOL
Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Slider... and my thumbs never leave the sticks because I use another digit to control the anchors[8D]
Old 05-05-2013, 04:33 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Terry Holston

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Cheers
Mav
Urban myth. It's not really possible to ''bounce'' an airplane with down elevator once it is on the ground.

Both brake operation methods work for different people. I personally prefer to keep my hand on the sticks during rollout (like full scale) and having brakes on down elevator lets me do that. Decide for yourself what works but don't believe that either method is ''right'' or ''wrong''.

Craig

+1, That is how all my Jets are set up, even the F16. All roll to a stop in a straight line . Just don't jump on the brakes all at once, that's when you will need those tissues.........LOL
Totally agree, the only way you're going to bounce using down elevator to activate brakes is if you try to brake before you're on the ground . As some others here, I set up with both, right slider and down elevator. I tend to use the slider on taxi and for parking, use the down elevator when landing.

Mike

Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a spring loaded trainer switch for brakes guy, until I bought my new Tx. It has no spring switch. I now use brakes on down elevator & find it works very well. Never had any problems.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 AM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the right slider but in full size on the Fokker 100 they teach to push forward once the nose wheel is on the ground it's very off putting.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys, could someone draft up the programming mix for a JR 12X to use both the right slider for parking and down elevator for braking when the gear is down? I am truly a jet rookie who will be building my first jet (JetMach 60 with the KingTech 60G) this fall. Just like the Install Thread here on RCU, these are wonderful teaching lessons the more experienced guys are letting us rookies see. Many thanks for that. Chic
Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Eaglepilot2

Interesting that some use both. I too have always used down elevator, but wished I had a parking brake. Is it fairly simple to program the slider if I already have the down elevator set up? Never even new that was possible. I learn something new everyday! Oh, I have a JR 9303 BTW.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eaglepilot2

Interesting that some use both. I too have always used down elevator, but wished I had a parking brake. Is it fairly simple to program the slider if I already have the down elevator set up? Never even new that was possible. I learn something new everyday! Oh, I have a JR 9303 BTW.
Yes it's possible and easy. Assign the brakes to one of the sliders and set it up to operate the brakes. Use your existing elevator to brakes mix to operate the brakes with the slider off. Progam both brake mixes to be inhibited with the gear up switch so as not to waste air during the flight.

Note: These two elevator/brake mixes are cumulative so make sure the slider is off after using it for a parking brake for "normal" down elevator braking.

Note 2: You can fine tune just when the down elevator brakes start to actuate by putting in just a little slider movement. It best to have the down elevator brakes begin with just a small amount of down elevator.

Craig
Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Eaglepilot2

Wow Craig,

Thanks for the help. I'll try to set it up just like that. Excited to know I'll finally have my parking brake!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.