Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
mobyal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

I am also curious about your 8'' bush wheels and would like to see a pic.. What did you use for and axel? I was going to go to DuBro's 1/3 scale Cub wheels and I might yet but I haven't picked up a lynch pin for an axel.. Personally I like Du-Bro's 1/3 scale Cub wheels .. I am finding that with the bigger wheels I am having trouble stopping the plane when I come into the pits.. Just a real low idol and it wants to keep rolling...You almost need brakes...It rolls so easy now.. I expect with bigger wheels it would be even worse...You for sure need an on board kill switch...This is on a 1/4 scale Sig J3 Cub with a OS Max120 FS . I have Robart gear on it so it is quite similar to our PA18's

Ken
If you'll PM me w/ an Email address I'll send you a couple of pics of mine w/ the DuBro 1/3 Cub wheels. I'd be glad to post them here, but w/ my new 'puter w/ Windows 8 I can't figure out how to get them off my iphone to 'puter to here.
Al
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
bikerbc

Yes and how do you find a way a way to measure that accurately ? I usually do the roll it on the floor to see what it does thing .. Not very hi tec . There must be a better way.. However we can go overboard too...Its not a race car ..We do our zooming in the sky...we need a wee bit of toe in and it should be close to the same on both sides of course.....I would expect you could bend it in the vice if it is way out ..be careful cause you don't want to break it...You could heat it but that would make it soft and then it would be bending all the time... I am not sure what you mean by camber.. Did you have the joints cut apart ? Or is this a factory defect ? I am sure they would replace it for you ..I think I would ask for a new one....The landing gear on this plane looks good , I hope it stands up... if it doesn't I will replace it with Robart gear...I really hope it stands up though because it is half the price of Robart gear...I am thinking about ordering a extra set to use on something else...I just received # 4 replacement float and it is smashed on the front...I am getting sick of this....You can see inside the float all the way to the back...What crap and packing in cardboard boxes dosen't cut it... The box didn't even look that bad...It is getting worse instead of better...I am disappointed..
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

I haven't done anything to my gear, it came with the camber on one wheel. It's not that bad, and I can probably just bend the axle to compensate if it's a problem. It would be more of a hassle to get it replaced.

Camber is the vertical tilt of the wheel. One of my wheels has the top of the wheel tilted away from the fuselage more than the other.

That really sucks about the float.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
bikerbc

Usually when horizion replaces a part they don't ask for the old part to be returned so having the part replaced shouldn't be too much of a hassle...Just remember that misaligned one will be with the plane for as long as you have the plane.. I guess what I would do is try it and see how it behaves .. If it tracks okay and looks okay then if it aint broke don't fix it . Ya our float fly is coming up fast and if I was counting on having that plane on their floats I would be hard pressed to make it happen...I am crafty though , I fixed up my old Saratoga and I have a Beaver and a ICon . I just won't have my Cub .
Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Rellic

Wow!
I been away from herelots lately due toflying, went through a full gallon and some of smoke oil last week.
Read your Float weight of 1150g & 1170g Ken and was amazed that the ARF Built-up Floats are that HEAVY!!!.
This winter I built a set of Glass Over /Foam Core 53"Floats for My 110 Rascal, lightply center splined deck tokeel, tip to tail,1/2" x 1"full length top backbone for alternate mounting options and painted waxed and flight ready come in at 1134g each. Thinking this at another 4.5 / 5 lbs (with gear & fasteners) extra weight and performance loss Istarted a set of Balsa USA 1/4Edo Floatsand so far sheeted, inner sealed, glassedand primed,mounting rigging on,they are 420g each.

Idint think the extra glasslaminate you added contributed massively tothis overall weight Ken but I for surewould not be adding too much in the way of flotation/strengthening foam to the HH 1/4 Scale Floats. They is Damn Heavy eh!

FWIW Slocan 48" Foam Core Glass over V bottom primed and ready for paint at under $200.00 come in at 360g.

Brian T.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:50 PM
G.P.

Got her in the air today!!!

Wind was about 5 km/h all day, of course after I got the Cub put together it was gusting 28 km/h and switching directions all over the place. The only place that I had to test fly was a narrow paved road with deep ditches on both sides. I almost packed it up, but decided to do some taxi tests since it was all together. It's a little squirrely on the cement, but much better than my .90 H9 Christen Eagle. Grass should be no problems at all with the big tires, and stock wheels should be great on the cement. The wind died down while I was taxi testing so I punched it and she instantly lept into the air! [8D]

My power system (approx 2300 watts the way it is propped) is more than enough for the big cub. It will loop from level and will climb almost vertically, but at a snails pace. Scale flying is at 1/3 to half throttle. My plane feels very draggy, and anything above 3/4 throttle added lots of noise without much of a gain in speed. Remember that I have a bunch of vortex generators on there that add to the drag though.

I tried some stalls, and when the wind was calm I was able to slowly add full elevator and with a touch of throttle I could fight off the stall with the ailerons. It was wing rocking BIG time, but didn't go into a spin on it's own. Just a touch of rudder or a gust of wind would put it into a spin when doing that. Still better than any Cub that I have flown...most that I've flown enter a spin with only too much elevator. Spin recovery involved just letting go of the sticks and it would recover in about half a turn, allowing for a gentle pull back to level. Very predictable, and has to be forced into a spin. The wind picked up again after I got in the air, and with flaps I could get it to stay still and almost fly backwards. Turns with or without flaps could be done super slow, and as long as I had any power on at all she did not try to spin on me. If you have this one spin out in a corner you deserved it. Like all Cubs it likes lots of rudder in the turns.

Landing was very tricky with the major cross wind and small width landing area that I had to deal with. I was able to crab it in, and with only a touch of flap I was able to drag it in until it was half a foot off of the ground and keep pulling on the elevator until it fianlly stalled. When it finally stalled it was going about a jogging pace and would have stopped in a few plane lengths if I was on grass. On cement the big wheels don't want to stop though. The Cub was going so slow when it finally stopped flying that the ailerons weren't effective anymore. Unfortunately that didn't work out very well with the cross wind and both times I dragged a wing tip on the cement. Nothing major, just a few scuffs.

All in all I'm very impressed with the Cub and it was everything that I was hoping for. Even with the big heavy tundra tires it floats like a dream and looks very scale in the air...I hate those Cubs that have to be flown at scale Mustang speeds! I had my timer set for 5 minutes, and my packs (3800 8s) were at 60% and 50% when done. I can't wait to try it on a calm day and see what those VG's will really do. I love the way it is and wouldn't change a thing though...except for maybe bigger packs so I don't have to stop flying it as often!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM
pldawg
My Feedback: (6)

Awesome!! Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had plenty of power on 8s, 10s is probably going to be quite the overkill. I charged my batteries today thinking I would make it out there but the wind came up so no dice today.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM
bikerbc

Congratulations GP .. I am jealous , no I am not I am so happy to hear how well it flew , I want to get mine in the air... I received my Transmitter back from Horizion today , I was so happy to get it home , it takes almost a month when you send one for service , but alas they did not do the repairs that I asked for . My Elevator trim switch will only trim down , it will not trim up . So now I have to send it back down and wait another month for it to come back.. Instead of doing the repairs they did an upgrade...I am very disappointed...I just keep reminding myself everybody makes mistakes ..I should know...Hi Brian , I weighed a float with no water rudder or servo or anything , bare bones float weighs in at 815 g ... It doesn't feel overly heavy.. It feels awfully fragile though .. Good thing Cub's have a big high lift wing...I have this other set of fiberglass floats that was on Bill Wiens 1/4 scale Walker and they are quite a bit heavier but are they ever nice floats . I would like to know what kind of floats they are.. I would buy another set in a heartbeat...I haven't weighed the ones we make but they are pretty lite.. I might be reading my scale wrong because these floats sure don't seem like they could be heavy they are so fragile .. like an egg shell... You saw them when they were at Lesters .. Did they seem overly heavy then ? Again GP congratulations and thanks for the detailed flight report...That's going to help when it comes time to put mine in the air.. It sounds like you are finding the same thing with the big tires , they roll so well its hard to stop . I have the 1/3 DuBro Cub Wheels on my Sig 1/4 Cub and it rolls while its idling .. It doesn't sound like the camber bothered you much..
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
hanko

Test flight on sunday, got the boat and dock in, so hopefully a calm day
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22060.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1876261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64995.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1876262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96627.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1876263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84692.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1876264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42944.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1876265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oe57238.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1876266  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM
hanko

ORIGINAL: roknHS

The Super Cub is very similiar to the 1/4 scale J3..........26cc to 50cc gas has been the range most used for gas power. My H9 J3 cub has a Brison 40 on the nose. Batteries are behind the back seat..........balances perfectly.........flies great.
My Super Cub is waiting for a DLE 55.........weighs about the same as the Brison. I put 1/3 scale cub tires on the gear.......just need to get the proper size music wire and make a longer axle..........I did it on my J3........works perfect.......looks fantastic.
Mine will be a sport flyer/glider tow plane.
I think most who want gas power will go with something like the DLE 30 or 35 for sport flying..............something bigger if you have higher aspirations.

I want to see how your cowl turns out with a 55. you better plan on figuring out how to make the prop hub that will stick out an inch and a half in front look decent.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 AM
roknHS

Hanko,
After looking the plane over and measuring for engine placement, I opted for the DLE 35. The length of the 55 would require cutting the center of the firewall out to recess the carb so the prop hub would fit the cowl length...........the stock gas tank position would have to be changed so the carb could have room to recess back into the firewall...........I didn't want all the hassle of the major changes so, the 35 RA was installed. It worked out well in the long run.

If you didn't care about keeping the semi-scale interior, the gas tank could have occupied the front seat position, batteries and ignition up front on either side of the tank compartment and the 55 carb recessed through the firewall. The 55 cylinder would have required more cutting on the bottom of the cowl. The DLE 55 could fit but, I didn't want the fuel tank in the front seat.

I think the 35RA will give good performance................and I like the pilot sitting in his seat, not on top of the fuel tank.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM
hanko

here is an idea for the throttle servo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43573.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1876389  
Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

I wish I could have mine done for the trout Lk float fly in Lk Orion ,Hanko are you going
Old 04-28-2013, 01:12 PM
bladebender

Forgot to say May 19 thanks for the pictures to Hanko
Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
hanko

May 19th, where? RCU fianlly got things fixed so I could post those
Old 04-30-2013, 04:09 PM
bladebender

baldmountain Lk Orion Mi. trout Lk. it is your AMA Mag.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Well,

I took the plunge and joined the Super Cub Club!. So now it's time to breath life back into this dead thread..
Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM
pldawg
My Feedback: (6)

Life keeps getting in the way for my maiden. I thought Thursday was going to work out but no luck so far.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM
roknHS

SkyPilot,
First thing, shake the wings and check for rib shards..........rough shipping on some of these. Pull the gromets on the bungee covers and make sure the hole are round, not egg shaped. Use some vaseline when you slide the gear tube through that gromet. Check for cracked windshield and busted seats. Those seats are really thin, flimsy material. Other than that.........have fun.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:42 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Started on mine the other day. Note that there's an addendum to the manual but all it says is the don't know left from right where the nav lights were concerned

Wings are built, tail and gear are done, installing the engine now and waiting on the floats to show up.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:59 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

roknHS, Hello..

Well, I have had my share of problems with ARF kits in the past so I went through every part of the kit right at the LHS yesterday. Fortunately every part is perfect (YES)!!. My plane is going straight onto floats so not too worried about the gear parts. I have the H9 floats already, and my engine will be here next wk., I'm going with a Saito 182 twin.

I work a lot of hours in my real job and I build jets for the owner of Global Jet Club, ( working on one now) so my time is extremely limited so my build might be a little slow, but I'll try to move it along.

So lets keep this thread alive and enjoy the Super Cub.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM
G.P.

None of these are mine, but I don't think I've seen any of these in this thread yet.

Enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvAN5r3w3k[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2vKja1B8RE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgkHc0jF2Bk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTpFdrVNZOw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wChgMiJIk4g[/youtube]

Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 PM
mobyal

Very nice. Thanks GP.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:00 PM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

I used the Saito 21 four stroke gas. I purchased the 90 degree header which keeps everything concealed in the cowl. I fly it between quarter and half throttle. Great flyer.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Anyone have the picture of the bottom of the cowl for a G26 installation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.