Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Ripped Off By A Fellow Hobbyist.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ripped Off By A Fellow Hobbyist.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ripped Off By A Fellow Hobbyist.

Didn't you read the above? It was paid for then charged back
Old 05-04-2013, 07:34 AM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manfred I hope this works out for you,Ibuy and sell often on RCU and have never been burned. I ship items before being paid and send money before I recieve product. That being said it sounds like its a matter of time before the law of averages or some Scumbag bites me in the ass.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

if possible, just go to your local post office and speak with the post master on this issue. they are typically more then willing to track it down and secure it for you.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Hope you get payback one way or another! SCUMBAGS that do this!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

I had a problem with a deal in the RCU Marketplace. When trying to look at my options I learned how few options you actually have. The Mods don't want to get involved. I decided to not do business thru the marketplace anymore in the once burned twice shy frame of mind. That's sad as there are some great people here, with just a few bad apples. Mine eventually worked out and it got pretty ugly in the process, I hope yours works out......
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

I am sorry that this has happened to you. I do think that you have a strong case against them and as long as you have documented everything, I would file a small claim against them. They would have to appear and they would have to prove their side of the story which appears to be lacking. Pay to have it hand delivered by a US Marshal. Best wishes.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am so gun shy, that I don't even look at ANYTHING more than 200 miles from my residence. Usually the seller and I meet someplace in the middle and I give cash for the item. I just finished a great transaction. I got something I have always wanted for a very good price and the seller got what they wanted for the item.

I feel for the OP. Now you know why the store prices are so high. The good people are paying the price for the thieves amongst us. I just don't know how to change anything except for good buyer and seller ratings. I bust my butt to make sure that I get a great rating. We really need to let people know about people and businesses that are dishonest. When you do, you have to be very careful not to liable them, or they can come after you, even if you are right.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 AM
AllAfterburner
My Feedback: (1)

Why not sell on Ebay? They take their usual fees but at least you're protected. I'm surprised there aren't more scams like this.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

ORIGINAL: AllAfterburner

Why not sell on Ebay? They take their usual fees but at least you're protected. I'm surprised there aren't more scams like this.
It was an eBay sale...

Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

I have made lots of sales using Ebay and RCU. The only times I had problems with unethical buyers was when using Paypal. Since I stopped accepting Paypal and only accept US Postal Money Orders, no problems whatsoever. Paypal protects the buyer, not the seller. Ebay =Paypal, I only sell on Ebay as a last resort and very seldom at that.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I have been bitten twice here on RCU over the years. Both were new to the site with low posts and young (baised by their language/spelling and interests in cars).
Both were removed from RCU but I was still out of my "stuff".

I have stopped two sales when the person started getting flakey.

THE KEY FOR ME IS BEWARE OF NEWCOMERS WITH NO PRIOR TRANSACTIONS/POOR RATINGS, IF ANY, AND CHANGES OF PLANS/EXCUSES. BEST TO JUST STAY AWAY NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE DEAL IS.[:@]
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: tenacious101010

I have made lots of sales using Ebay and RCU. The only times I had problems with unethical buyers was when using Paypal. Since I stopped accepting Paypal and only accept US Postal Money Orders, no problems whatsoever. Paypal protects the buyer, not the seller. Ebay =Paypal, I only sell on Ebay as a last resort and very seldom at that.
I do 6 figures a month in sales online, I have no problem with PP polcies. I feel their protection of the seller is fine, for the most part, it's the Credit Card company that is the scamming dirtbag in most cases. They are being persistant with this chargeback even when we have PROOF, in writing from USPS, that we have never received the package from the customer.
We have proof the customer is a liar and a complete scumbag theif, the crdit card company is persistant that the chargeback is valid.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Fleabay and Peepal are really geared now to the large-volume sellers, who recieve greatly discounted fees when compared to individuals like myself who only sell occasionally. My last batch of items (diecast cars) using them cost me 32% of my sales! PP even charges a 'shipping fee', despite the fact it's me, the seller, who paid for materials, packaged and shipped the item. For small-scale sellers, they're a big ripoff. 

I sell on fleabay, but have ways to avoid the pp fees entirely. 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

I do 6 figures a month in sales online, I have no problem with PP polcies. I feel their protection of the seller is fine, for the most part, it's the Credit Card company that is the scamming dirtbag in most cases. They are being persistant with this chargeback even when we have PROOF, in writing from USPS, that we have never received the package from the customer.
We have proof the customer is a liar and a complete scumbag theif, the crdit card company is persistant that the chargeback is valid.

Six figures a month on line? Are we talking 100,000 a month minimum and you’re spending all this time and effort complaining about a single charge back? How much are we talking here a couple hundred dollars? I don't disagree its wrong but man if you get this worked up over one small item best watch you don't give yourself a coronary. Man a friend of mine has a small retail business that doesn't do nearly that kind of turn over and he suffers greater losses a week than that due to petty theft and fraud. It’s something all businesses face on a daily basis. Like someone else has pointed out if you put as much effort into tracking down the package as you have put in here you might have it by now. I hear you that you have lost some money and been inconvenienced but it’s no different than any other business goes through.

Dennis
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: Propworn

Six figures a month on line? Are we talking 100,000 a month minimum and you’re spending all this time and effort complaining about a single charge back? How much are we talking here a couple hundred dollars? I don't disagree its wrong but man if you get this worked up over one small item best watch you don't give yourself a coronary. Man a friend of mine has a small retail business that doesn't do nearly that kind of turn over and he suffers greater losses a week than that due to petty theft and fraud. It’s something all businesses face on a daily basis. Like someone else has pointed out if you put as much effort into tracking down the package as you have put in here you might have it by now. I hear you that you have lost some money and been inconvenienced but it’s no different than any other business goes through.

Dennis
Sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulders. Care to share with us?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Propworn

ORIGINAL: warningshot

Sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulders. Care to share with us?

????????????????? Chip??? No________ I know several people who also do some business via the internet, much less than the six figure mark and according to them this is not uncommon. There are more internet scams then Carter has pills. No one likes being taken advantage of or stolen from but if this is the only instance for him then he is exceedingly lucky. Now he has two choices hope it shows up or spend lots of time tracking and or fighting with the CC Company who doesn't care. Like getting a parking ticket for 17 bucks and taking a day off work to fight it. Yep my wife beat the ticket but lost a days pay. She said it was the principal of the thing. Can’t fault her for that it’s her choice. Lamenting and arguing with people on a forum isn't going to help him out at all. If he’s just venting I guess that works. I bet its not the first time this guy has done this as well. A common shuffle is buy it when it comes up then if you find one cheaper refuse the first under the pretence it wasn’t as advertised.

Dennis
Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Propworn

Its not simple but here is the jist of what happens with a charge back.

chargeback mechanism exists primarily for consumer protection. Holders of credit cards issued in the United States are afforded reversal rights by Regulation Z of the Truth in Lending Act. United States debit card holders are guaranteed reversal rights by Regulation E of the Electronic Fund Transfer Act. Similar rights extend globally, pursuant to the rules established by the corresponding card association or bank network.

A consumer may initiate a chargeback by contacting their issuing bank, and filing a substantiated complaint regarding one or more debit items on their statement. The threat of forced reversal of funds provides merchants with an incentive to provide quality products, helpful customer service, and timely refunds as appropriate. Chargebacks also provide a means for reversal of unauthorized transfers due to identity theft. Chargebacks can also occur as a result of friendly fraud, where the transaction was authorized by the consumer but the consumer later attempts to fraudulently reverse the charges. Card association chargeback rules (e.g., MasterCard) are available online for public inspection and review. They comprise a well developed, well crafted and efficient system for adjudicating transaction disputes between cardholders and merchants,[1] primarily where the issues can be resolved based on documentary evidence incident to the transaction. The rules provide for arbitration of issues by the card association. This may occur where the card issuer generates a second (or "arbitration") chargeback against the merchant, after receiving the merchant's response to the initial chargeback. Normally this would require the cardholder to rebut elements of the merchant's response. The second chargeback results in a second crediting of the cardholder's account for the disputed funds, after having been credited back to the merchant with its response to the initial chargeback. The merchant's only recourse after the second chargeback is to initiate arbitration of the dispute by the card association. The fee for this is in the order of $250, and the arbitration loser is then obligated to pay the costs of the arbitration.

For transactions where the original invoice was signed by the consumer, the merchant may dispute a chargeback with the assistance of the merchant's acquiring bank. The acquirer and issuer mediate in the dispute process, following rules set forth by the corresponding bank network or card association. If the acquirer prevails in the dispute, the funds are returned to the acquirer, and then to the merchant. Only 21% of chargebacks lodged globally are decided in favour of the merchant.

The merchant's acquiring bank accepts the risk that the merchant will remain solvent over time, and thus has an incentive to take a keen interest in the merchant's products and business practices. Reducing consumer chargebacks is crucial to this endeavor. To encourage compliance, acquirers may charge merchants a penalty for each chargeback received. Payment service providers, such as PayPal, have a similar policy.[3] PayPal Merchant charges $20 for each chargeback (regardless of whether or not it is the first) plus it will retain the original transaction fee.[4]

In addition, Visa and MasterCard may levy severe fines against acquiring banks that retain merchants with high chargeback frequency. Acquirers typically pass such fines directly to the merchant. Merchants whose ratios stray too far out of compliance may trigger card association fines of $100 or more per chargeback.

If I were doing six figures a month in internet buisness I would certainly look into this.

Chargeback insurance refers to insurance coverage protects merchants who accepts credit cards. The coverage protects the merchant against fraud in a transaction where the use of the credit card was unauthorized, and covers claims arising out of the merchant’s liability to the service bank.

This coverage can apply under a number of circumstances, including:

•A credit card is lost or stolen and used before the cardholder can report it
•Credit Card Number Generators or Counterfeit Plastic Cards
•Post-purchase "ship to" information changes
•Signature mismatch or signature not on file.
Merchants are reimbursed for:

•The cost of a stolen product or service
•The loss of profit

A typical chargeback insurance policy will only cover losses on credit card transactions purchased through its own specific credit card processor or payment gateway.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Six figures a month on line? Are we talking 100,000 a month minimum and you’re spending all this time and effort complaining about a single charge back?
Ummmmm... yes. But this "single" chargeback is only 1 that I am taking personally. One that was intentionally performed. And by the way, I built this business from the ground up, starting with the last $500 I had on this planet and my money is my money, $350 or $50. Just because we do the volume we do, does NOT make it okay to steal from me.

How much are we talking here a couple hundred dollars? I don't disagree its wrong but man if you get this worked up over one small item best watch you don't give yourself a coronary. Man a friend of mine has a small retail business that doesn't do nearly that kind of turn over and he suffers greater losses a week than that due to petty theft and fraud. It’s something all businesses face on a daily basis.
With all due respect, I don't give a crap what anyone else does or what anyone else feels is "something all businesses face on a daily basis". Just because a man owns a business, does not make it okay for him to get screwed.

Like someone else has pointed out if you put as much effort into tracking down the package as you have put in here you might have it by now.
Are you kidding me with this weak sauce dude? Seriously, do you think I have not exhausted every avenue, contacted every department, filed every document and talked to every person with the possibility of finding this package before YOU or anyone casually suggested it? Think again, this is NOTabout USPS losing it, this is about a person who claimed to be a fellow flier, a fellow hobbyist intentionally ripping us off.

I hear you that you have lost some money and been inconvenienced but it’s no different than any other business goes through.

Dennis
Who friggin cares what anyone else goes thru? And because they are stupid enough to lay down and take it, how the hell does that translate to me being required to do it also? Screw that fella, you reach in my pocket and steal $350, prepare for the equal and opposite reaction to range from a simple dentist appointment to a full on pissing match where I'll spend 10 times the amount you stole from me, just to make your life a legal hell. My attorney loves, makes that LIVES to find unpaid parking tickets, unpaid child support, back taxes owed, deliqunet property taxes, past criminal background history that you may or may not have disclosed to your current employer, etc.

Your attitude is the problem with this country right now, NOBODY forces anyone to take responsibility! You are basically saying that it's perfectly okay for me to get robbed because my business earns $100K+ a month! That is just a horrible way of thinking. I spent 3 years, 18+ hours a day to get where I am and I'll be damned if I am just going to allow some dirtbag living on Fordham Road in Clifton New Jersey to just rip me off because my business is doing okay...

Do me a favor... don't reply anymore. Your logic causes me to want to vomit.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

I was in on one of these schemes, On another forum, Aweb friend sold a very expensive paintball gun to another forum member. They did the same thing, The buyer lives in Reno which I am 70 miles south of. When I heard about it I volunteered to do a Knock and Talk, Come to find out it is a Local Doctors son who had used his Mom's credit card. I went to her office, (She was never home when I took the drive) I Went to her office and told her the story, The next day she had the gun at her office with the Money the gun cost. She said her Son was in deep and he was going to give the gun back plus pay the seller what the gun cost.

Some one in the Buyers area and help the seller out.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Woah.....Simmer down there Sparky. You may give yourself a stroke or something.

Greg
Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

Woah.....Simmer down there Sparky. You may give yourself a stroke or something.

Greg
I am not even upset and have no need to simmer down. If I was wound up... you'd know it.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Propworn

Six figures a month on line? Are we talking 100,000 a month minimum and you’re spending all this time and effort complaining about a single charge back?
Ummmmm... yes. But this ''single'' chargeback is only 1 that I am taking personally. One that was intentionally performed. And by the way, I built this business from the ground up, starting with the last $500 I had on this planet and my money is my money, $350 or $50. Just because we do the volume we do, does NOT make it okay to steal from me.

How much are we talking here a couple hundred dollars? I don't disagree its wrong but man if you get this worked up over one small item best watch you don't give yourself a coronary. Man a friend of mine has a small retail business that doesn't do nearly that kind of turn over and he suffers greater losses a week than that due to petty theft and fraud. It’s something all businesses face on a daily basis.
With all due respect, I don't give a crap what anyone else does or what anyone else feels is ''something all businesses face on a daily basis''. Just because a man owns a business, does not make it okay for him to get screwed.

Like someone else has pointed out if you put as much effort into tracking down the package as you have put in here you might have it by now.
Are you kidding me with this weak sauce dude? Seriously, do you think I have not exhausted every avenue, contacted every department, filed every document and talked to every person with the possibility of finding this package before YOU or anyone casually suggested it? Think again, this is NOT about USPS losing it, this is about a person who claimed to be a fellow flier, a fellow hobbyist intentionally ripping us off.

I hear you that you have lost some money and been inconvenienced but it’s no different than any other business goes through.

Dennis
Who friggin cares what anyone else goes thru? And because they are stupid enough to lay down and take it, how the hell does that translate to me being required to do it also? Screw that fella, you reach in my pocket and steal $350, prepare for the equal and opposite reaction to range from a simple dentist appointment to a full on pissing match where I'll spend 10 times the amount you stole from me, just to make your life a legal hell. My attorney loves, makes that LIVES to find unpaid parking tickets, unpaid child support, back taxes owed, deliqunet property taxes, past criminal background history that you may or may not have disclosed to your current employer, etc.

Your attitude is the problem with this country right now, NOBODY forces anyone to take responsibility! You are basically saying that it's perfectly okay for me to get robbed because my business earns $100K+ a month! That is just a horrible way of thinking. I spent 3 years, 18+ hours a day to get where I am and I'll be damned if I am just going to allow some dirtbag living on Fordham Road in Clifton New Jersey to just rip me off because my business is doing okay...

Do me a favor... don't reply anymore. Your logic causes me to want to vomit.
Wow man you go home and kick the dog or something? I'm not the one who pissed in your cornflakes bud. I did sympathize with your position I only made the comparison that you’re not the only one this happens to. That you don’t care what happens to other businesses is kind of selfish if you ask me. You should all be sticking together and fighting this sort of thing. If you’ve done everything you can to recover said items and got no joy thats too bad. Pissing on everyone around you in frustration is childish and immature we are not the ones that caused this. If you copped this attitude with others who were trying to help you I can understand why you got no where. Sometimes when you throw a temper tantrum you end up getting what you sow even though you might not deserve it. Tough break there fella hope ya don’t choke on the sour taste in your craw.

In my limited experience the ones that gnash their teeth, threaten and tell everyone how bad ass they are and how their going to go the whole nine yards to get even are all talk and no action. Men of real action go about it quietly and just get it done enjoying the look of surprise when the bricks finally land on the low life.

Anyone getting this bent out of shape in my opinion isn’t the most stable person I would chose to do business with.

No one said getting ripped off was ok. You do what you can to get satisfaction within the limits of the law. You want to do something outside the law you are no better than the guy who wronged you. Take maters into your own hands and you may end up working for him.

Have a nice day and please tell me the name of your business so I never make the mistake of ordering from ya!

Dennis
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser........ this ''single'' chargeback is only 1 that I am taking personally. One that was intentionally performed. And by the way, I built this business from the ground up, starting with the last $500 I had on this planet and my money is my money, $350 or $50. Just because we do the volume we do, does NOT make it okay to steal from me.
I love your attitude GSGasser..!
You exemplify what it means to be a true citizen in the most classic [Roman] interpretation of that term. You are taking responsibilty [and a loss of time] to stand for what is right.
Even though this transaction might be "small potatoes" to you..you are taking the time to prosecute this matter and to also make it a topic of interesting discussion here.
I wish more people were like you.
Beer, lobster [and RC combat] if you ever come out this way..!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 AM
Propworn

edit
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Have a nice day and please tell me the name of your business so I never make the mistake of ordering from ya!

Dennis
Propworn,

I asked the same question in Post#18, for the same reason, but he said "it really has no bearing on this issue, nor will I spam it here". To me this seems like an odd answer to a simple question, but it is his thread and he can do as he wants.

Do any of you Hernando Aero Modelers ( HAM RC) know who this is?

Something seems off with this person, and if he claims that "I am not even upset and have no need to simmer down. If I was wound up... you'd know it" is getting me concerned about his mental state at this time.

TROLL?

Greg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.