Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Bridi Shrike Commander

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridi Shrike Commander

We are building two Shrikes, one glow with twin OS Max 50SX's at 1.8 hp a side. And one electric. I have no clue what size electric motors i need to equal a glow .50 or ESC or batts or prop. Has anyone done a Bridi Shrike ? They run about 12lbs.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bridi Shrike Commander

For a start, you can use the Watts per pound thumb rule. For sports planes I use 120-150 watts per pound. Therefore, you would need about 120 x 12 = 1440 watts total. Since this is a twin, you would need two 720 watts motors. So you could start by looking for 700-800 watt motors that use the desired prop for this plane. Most mfg's provide a prop chart for each motor. Look at the chart and it will give you the watts for a given prop at a given battery voltage. That is one way to do it.

Many of the newer motors are list with a glow-powered equivalent. For instance, E-flite has a Power 46 motor that is the equivalent of a .46 size glow motor. Once you find the motor equivalent for your .50 size glow engine, then check the specs listed for the motor (battery, prop, Watts, ESC).

Hope this helps.
Vic