Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 PM
BubbasanJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

here is a shot for ya RBean

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99850.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1878215  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Bubba John,
Mine was a twin tailed lady...and loved how she handled in the air. One of the most honest and best handling aircraft I ever flew. Light on the controls and those round engines sounded sweet to my ears. Fully controllable on one engine, at almost any speed and if my memory serves me right...not much altitude on one either-but I never lost an engine. On the ground she could be a beast...but if you were diligent and attentive, she would dance with the best of them. I must have gotten a couple of thousand hours in a C45G...on one of the rebuilt models from the early 50's. Super H wing tips, high speed gear doors, wrap around windows, crew and cargo doors and a 10-2 gross weight-with incidence change in the stab. She had short exhausts, a high tail wheel, aluminum control surfaces, and a main spar strap-w/good radio's and a new instrument panel. She had 400 total gal. fuel capacity-with Super H wings+ nose tanks, and could fly non stop-L.A. to Denver if I had to, with full IFR reserves. I learned a lot about flying in this bird and I have some fond memories of watching sunsets as well as sun rises in the Twin Beech.

I had a buddy that flew a single tailed version of the Twin Beech. It almost looked like a round engine Queen Air...not the T-Bone...(another sweet flying Beech) and from what I was told, the tri-geared single tailed Beech, had a higher useful load, then the standard tail dragging D-18/C45.

I managed to fly the 208 Caravan up in Alaska...God Bless...they actually paid me to fly it! It was a Ryan Air bird, and flew out of Nome and Bethel with her, in the mid 80's~90's as well as C206, C207's, 185's and 402C. They also had a DH-2 Beaver on anfibs...and it was a fight to fly the DH-2. Now that is one tough airframe... : ) ...and everyone wanted to fly the Beaver.

There are some folks out here that say a real airplane has two wings, a round engine and sits on its tail...and to be honest...I wont argue that one...ever. But one wing, a round engine and sits on its tail...works for me too.

I worked on the F6F elevator today and getting ready to re-install it. I had to re-drill the hole for the "U" connector control wire and remove the old hinges-not a fun job & still doing that chore. I will be finished with the elevator and rudder (I pray) by weekend. Then I'll remount my new engine and ready the airframe for painting. The new engine does not fit the current holes in the fire wall...so I will be plugging up the old ones and re-drilling new ones for the new 36cc engine...plus resetting the throttle cable...Ug.

I sent Vicky an e-mail and she is working up some stencils for me and a price. Thanks for the contact and she answered me in one day... : )

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered from VQ Warbirds today, the Hellcat and the Sierra gear. Hey Bubba, that looks like a Fed Ex Caravan panel, even down to the Engine Recorder known as "the snitch". My limited time in the junk D-18s of MayAir Express are not looked upon with such fond memories. A blown cylinder, vicious cross winds in Midland, Tx, looking up at the highwires at the end of the runway, dodging thunderstorms without radar or a storm scope (no DME that worked either or a GPS), having to load the plane myself. The Caravan was easy street. Fed Ex loaded and unloaded the plane and they paid me to go for airplane rides. (most of the time).
Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby,  last time I flew on a plane that had round engines, with propellers, was when I was between 4 wright radials.  Yipppeeee!!!  Happened to catch a flight on the Aluminum Overcast.  Nothing like the sound of a radial, although turbo props do,get my blood,racing a bit too. ,

Alaska, were you smuggling booze to the eskimos?  Quite lucrative that can be. Just kidding. Caravan is well equipped for that environment. Did you fly the cargo master or super cargo master?  If I had the money I would buy a caravan to haul around my family and rc stuff. 

What are you using to plug old firewall holes?  Dowels and epoxy?

Looks like progress will be quick from this point, Bobby

RBean,
Yes, that is in fact a shot from a Fex-ex caravan. [8D]
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I managed to get the rudder hinges drilled and set up for my Robart hinge points. It came out ok...and I plan on using JB Weld ( 4 hour hardening type) to hold the hinges in. I do use Vaseline petroleum jelly on the actual hinges them selves, so no glue will interfere with the operation of the hinge. I have some clean up on the rudder and port elevator to do, before I glue them in. The old CA hinges came out ok on the elevator and tomorrow, I'll cut the slots and line up the elevator for the install. Then on to the engine instillation.

Yes...I drill out the hole in the fire wall, to accept a hard wood dowel, that I plan to use to plug the fire wall...then epoxy into the fire wall.

I have always had a thing for the Twin Beech...in fact, the 30's and 40's kind of aircraft took hold on me at a young age. I also was typed in the L18 and flew a Lockheed Howard 250, out of New Mexico. That to was on a Fed-X run...and that was the ultimate for me. Talk about noise...And we had all the bells and whistles too. Auto pilot, radar...even a high freq. radio, dual ADF...the works. Even the DME worked and enough power in our VHF radios to talk to anyone on the moon. Fast, clean and pure pleasure to fly. Folks would come out of the wood work when we landed to fuel...and it got lots of attention. You had to man handle that beast and you had to be healthy to fly her. Once in the air, she was as sweet as any airplane can be, but you had to be on top of your game on landing and take off. Ours had DC6 wheels and tires, with really good brakes+1,114 gal. of 100/130. We had Wright 1820-76, with 1450 h.p. radial engines, two stage blowers, with auto everything. She had a full de-ice package and a heated wind screen...one molecule thick gold plate window. What surprised me was that the L18 was able to get air born in the same distance as the D18...with three times the load. This was in the early 80's before Fed-X took over the local deliveries with the C208. She trued out at 250kts @ 22,000' and could fly from L.A. to just about anywhere in the U.S....non stop. A night take off was something to behold...fire and flame out the exhaust and what a sound. Those were good days for sure.

I'm old fashioned in some ways, and though I flew turbo-props and turbine helicopters...there is something special about radial engine aircraft. I even flew H34's in Germany...and taught instruments in the H34...it had a Wright 1820 too. It was a Sikorsky built helicopter, and it was a real relic in its day...but that was in the late 60's and all the good stuff was in South East Asia.

As to flying soda pop in Alaska...if your caught, you will lose everything, the machine, your freedom and you lose your flying license for life. That my good friends is just to much to lose, for a quick buck or two. I don't drink...never did...my dad drank enough for both of us. Believe me...I know some folks made out quite well flying stuff around and in those day's, I was approached from time to time to fly goods, with questionable legality. To be honest...it was not worth it and a couple of good pilots I knew, ended up losing everything they had. I flew for the Sheriff in Homer, Bethel and Nome...mostly out to the villages, to quiet the natives and bring in souls from time to time. I also flew USGS, heletack fire fighting and during the fishing season, the county Mounties to watch over the openings.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Tr50854.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1878583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68337.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1878584  
Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 AM
BubbasanJohn

Bubba Bobby 
Hellcat looking great on her road to recovery. Rudder looks much improved.  

Hey didn't mean to insinuate that you were a smuggler.  I'm fully aware of the consequences of getting caught.  Anyone that really has a love for flying would never risk losing that. Heck in fact some have even worked for less that a decident wage to earn their way up into the clouds. 

Love the load star too.  She just looks majestic and with those two radials, powerful.  Did you ever get time in the Super Electra?   While I love the beech design, there is just something about the lines Lockheed designers used on their aircraft. Simple clean and elegant.  Well at least to my eyes. Seems like you flew a lot of great aircraft.  I'm jealous.  Some times I think I was born too late as my soul really resonated with aircraft of the 30s and 40s too.  While I never have gotten any stick time on a plane of that era, I have been blessed to get a lot of seat time.  Hahah.  

Hell Bobby, you are going to have the maiden before ya know it on the hellcat.  

Bubba
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
That rudder took some time to work out. I had to move the hole for the control rod so far over...I had a huge hole left to deal with...once the rudder was properly set. I ended up using a Ni-rod tube to hold the control wire in...and then will epoxy all around the tube to hold it in to its proper place, while drying. Then on to the elevator... : )

This is really a remarkable model and I've always wanted to build a F6F. I have a U-build kit from Heritage RC for .60 size engines that I bought years ago and I may build this next as a night fighter version of the F6F.

No offence taken. I never flew a Super Electra...I've no information on this bird. By the way...the guy that gave me my check ride on the Howard 250 was a 75 year old-fart, that flew the L18 in WWII. What a character and what a ride... : ) ...it was a 2.5 hour check ride with one engine shut down most the time (that's right...he cut my right engine and feathered it-stated, nothing like the real thing to train a pilot)...to include missed approaches and holding...all done partial panel, to include a fixed card ADF approach to landing. Most pilots today have no idea what a fixed card ADF approach is...and I never flew a glass cockpit. I know I'm aging myself...but some ways...I miss the sounds and sights I once took for granted.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Wu62044.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1878742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30122.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1878743  
Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bubba Bobby,
Damn that is one grand canyon of a hole on the elevator. I was thinking large but not like that.

Sounds like the Check flight pilot really enjoyed the plane. He sure put you thru the paces!!! Think that the fixed card ADF approach went out when planes like the loadstar and beech d18 were replaced by the caravans and ilk. Glass has come a very long way. is it better? not sure. doesall the advancements in glass panels create a less able pilot? Im not decided on that either. I think it comes down to individual temperment and training. Yeah, kinda like the old and bold pilot cliche but as the planes are more and more automated, are we putting more lives in danger? I think too much trust in instrments is as bad as not trusting them enough. Are modern pilots, say for example guys flying Fex-ex jets, less able than those flying the old twins radials? Is it fai to say that incedents/accidents could have been avoided if the crew had a more seat of your pants flying experience? Maybe that is an unfair question but as we move to more and more automation, are pilots jafos rather than fully in control?

Oh the super electra was what the what the lockheed loadstar was developed from. Actually Im just probing to find out your real age! hehehehe Kidding of course. Oh Ive included a NDB card for the old stapelton airport in denver.

Name:	Yw68096.gif
Views:	100
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1878838  
Old 05-05-2013, 01:13 PM
lmangum

Ok thanks for the tips on the Hellcat BubbasanJohn! I hope to maiden the Hellcat on Friday of the 10th. If I do I will get pictures and videos uploaded.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 PM
BubbasanJohn

Imagnum,  no problem. Just let me know if there is anything else you need. Yes please do post vid and pics. Can't wait. Why not post some pics now so we can marvel in your hellcat's glory!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:01 PM
lmangum

Hellcat pictures link!http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/lmangum15/library/
Old 05-05-2013, 06:11 PM
BubbasanJohn

Wow. Great details and weathering Imagnum.  I just got to detailing mine a bit but now I feel kinda amateur after looking at yours. What did you use for the wing panel line layout?  What prop And motor are you using?   

Really like the way yours turned out. 
Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 PM
lmangum

I got the panel line layout from a book called, "Hellcat", by David A. Anderson and illustrated by Rikyu Watanabe. The book gives history of the hellcat as well as great detailed out lines of the panel line, paint jobs, and a scale propeller look. My Hellcat is spinning a Xoar 18x8 3-blade and the engine is a CRRC Pro 50cc gas engine. Also I added some new photos to Photo Bucket of the under the wing.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM
BubbasanJohn

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see this one fly.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 AM
SkyPilot101

Someone said that there is a large build thread on this plane, anyone have a link, I could not find it....Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
BubbasanJohn

I had no luck either.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby, you fall off the earth? Hope all is well with you. Was getting addicted to your updates on the refit.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubby John,
I'm still here...just ended up with a few home chores that needed doing. My irrigation went south and I have been busy replacing control heads and other goodies. Without my irrigation working, it takes about an hour a day to water my green things and fruit plants.

I called Sierra Giant Scale Retracts and asked them where my units were for my F6F. Great guy...talked to me and told me he will let me know tomorrow when and if they were returned. He told me that if the units were in house...he will personally get them off USPS Priority tomorrow first thing. He called me while he was in his car, headed home.

I have been contacted By Vicky and with a bit of correction...have her make me some stencils for my F6F, U.S.S. Bunker Hill.

Tonight I plan on gluing in the rudder...and let that set up over night. Tomorrow will be the port elevator install.

Other then all this...I'm moving right along.

How did you set up your flight controls...by the book or ?

Hang in there....
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby,  

Got to keep the plantation green.  

I too like Sierra gear and their support. What I wouldn't give to play on his CNC machines......

What do you mean set up flight controls?  You,talking throws?  Sorry if I missed the point. I'm,tuckered out tonight. Been one hell of a day

Bubba
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
Yep...control throws and both low and high trim points.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
BubbasanJohn

yes Bubba Bobby, I went with the throws on low rates as defined in the manual.  My high rates are set for maximum throw. 

How did the rudder take the glue?   You are so close now.  Almost hear that PTE36 humming away!!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I managed to get both the rudder and elevator installed and the tail feathers are ready for paint. I finished the port elevator tonight and I managed to get rid of all the binding, as well as having it line up better. I used thick JB weld to hold in the tube (for the rudder and elevator control pins-I was astonished at how off drilled both these flight controls were) and fill in all around the tube with the glue-for its nice and thick and holds like the dickens. Once hard...its on for the life of the model. It took a while to get set up to glue...and I use the 4~5 hour set JB weld...but a bit of patience here goes a long ways. Robart hinge points need a good prep and set up, prior to gluing in. One wrong glued in pin and your screwed...but I use lots of petroleum jelly to keep the glue off of the hinge area, then begin the process to glue everything together.

I pulled the engine out...and yes...its next to get refitted...as well as the throttle control.

I needed to send a correction to Vicky on the stencils and as soon as she gives me the thumbs up...I'll order my set. I'm going with the U.S.S. Bunker Hill paint scheme for my F6F. Its a bit different and has some color, other then dark navy blue.

No word from Sierra yet on my retracts...

Ok, I'll go with the book numbers for control throws, as well as high and low trim sets.

I have a Solo Three bladed hub...and I bought it years ago for another project, I never built. Its just to big for this bird, but would look awesome on any WWII war bird in the 80"+ wing span. If it was just a bit smaller, it would really make this bird pop out at you. I do have a dome hub for this engine, so I will just have to use my imagination for the rest.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Us53072.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1880715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49823.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1880716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53537.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1880717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12844.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1880718  
Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 AM
lmangum

Well the weather has cleared and it's time to fly the Hellcat for its first madien. I will get pictures and videos posted this afternoon sometime.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bubba Bobby, Looking good man.  Tail feathers looking nice and strong.  Cant wait to see the PTE in the cowl.  Wooot!!  I just flew today with a 17x 3 blader and man is it the right prop for me.   Not as quick around the circuit as smaller diameter props but awesome thrust and it slows this baby down real nice on landings. 

Hopefully soon you will hear from Sierra.  Just an awesone combi with this bird.  What wheels are you using?  Im using ESM wheels and think they are a little bit larger than scale but they work really well off the dirt strip we fly from and look really nice on the sierra legs.

Cant wait to see the stencils you get.  Thinking about replacing the vynal markings I made on my laser and getting some setncils form the same source and painting.  Got an airbrush, had one but could not locate it in the shops and Ive been adding detail such as exhaust staining and making panel lines stand out etc. 

Think you cant go wrong witht he manual stated throws.   And having full movement on high rates is just added insurance in my book. 

Imagnum, Where ae the picts and videos.  Come on man, dying of anticipation!!!!  Really not fair to dangle the carrot and then leave us hanging!  OY!!! [X(][]
Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
lmangum

Ok sorry about the late pictures and videos I had some issues with my camera, but they are coming. Also sorry about the some of the video the plane was moving very fast, and the landing was very bad. I came in toooooooo slow and tip stalled, luckily saved it and it only took the left landing gear from the wing. I got it fixed tonight and am ready for some more flying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.