Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

great planes/goldberg floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

great planes/goldberg floats

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Otter Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great planes/goldberg floats

has anyone else built both goldberg and great planes floats? really too bad goldberg isn't making floats anymore. i couldn't believe in 08 i had lazer cut goldbergs, and i got later model great planes that are poor fitting pressed out parts. not impressed. guess ill have to scratch build from now on.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: great planes/goldberg floats

Hi Otter,

I have built the G.P. floats and yeah they are a bit rough out of the box. I did finish them and sofar they have held up pretty well. I believe they are now about 12 years old.

They are somewhat heavier that most but, seem to be fairly robust. I have them set up for a FourStar 40 and it seems to be a pretty good match.

Sorry but, I dont seem to have any decent pictures for show and tell.

Carlos G
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: great planes/goldberg floats

I have used nothing but foam-core floats for YEARS. 
First set were BJ-no longer available
I learned to cut my own.  Made quite a few sets for my friends. 
Now I get my floats from PlaneFun Floats or Seaplane Supply

Foam floats are much lighter than the ply floats, durable, and they can't leak enough to change your CG.  They ARE repairable. 
I once overshot a landing and tore up the bottom of some floats on some riprap.  A little packing tape, and I flew the rest of the afternoon. 
If you have a set of ply floats that leak, in a week or 2 you will have a science project growing inside.  (ick!)