Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

pipedup's pjt"junkyard underdog"speed machine

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

pipedup's pjt"junkyard underdog"speed machine

Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM
sshine440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pipedup's pjt

Looking Good James or is that 007 lol hope to see some awesome speed out of this truck and what is your projected weight loss ,,,,,, im at 6.5 lbs and took it for a test run the other day and man does LL pick up speed fast in a short time ,,, maybe too light ,,,, will know more soon ,,,,, and call me , i lost your # .

Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 AM
Donovanholroyd

ORIGINAL: Bash-m-up

ORIGINAL: pipedup

You have to remember when using carbon fiber to always put safety first. It is very important that you don't breath any dust in since the human body is carbon based it will never expel it out of your body you will live with it for the rest of your life.
This is great safety tip that many, many, many people just don't realize when working with CF, young and older hobbyist alike will benefit from that post.
Well I once dremmeled down some cf with no mask. It was only a couple minutes of grinding and I did it outside holding the part down wind. Hope I don't die.

I once read a thread where a guy cut 2 cf chassis sets and a bunch of other parts in his apartment. He said he knew the dust was bad and he used an old shirt as a mask. He also said the dust was all over his apartment.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
pipedup

Well now that I have a wicked motor I guess it is time to put the speed demon together. I am very impressed with this machine, It by far is the nicest build I have done so far. Starting to look real snazzy

Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM
pipedup

Found out a very interesting thing, the cooling head off the sts .30 as well as the f 4.1 fits on the Nova. This is very good news as the local hobby store has a blow out sale on the discontinued Nova heads. $25 for a super cooling Nova head is a great deal:

I think with that engine and this clutch bell with a 27 tooth spur this machine should howl:

Had to bend the exhaust headerr so the pipe wouldn't be pushed into the tvp's. It is easily done just be sure to use a blunt object in each side of the eader and use only the force needed to bend it:

much better:

Will have to get a speed calculator out and do some math.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Donovanholroyd

Is there a head button on the engine or is it built into the cooling top?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
pipedup

There is a head button on the engine. The S25 or 4.1 fit perfectly other than the screw hole size was smaller, 1 swipe with the proper sized drill bit and it was golden.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Donovanholroyd

Cool. Good to know the button isn't built into the head. I wish I could get one of these for my picco or lrp but it's hard enough to keep temps up as it is. My engines always run cool for some reason. I often have trouble keeping them above 200f unless it's really hot outside so I think my engine would run too cool with one of these heads that can lower temps by 40%. I found a pic of this cool weather head that would be perfect if I  could find one.

http://www.redrc.net/2006/11/nova-rc...-weather-head/
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
pipedup

Here is what I chose for a fuel tank, won't be needing more fuel than this anyhow as runtime is not a factor into this build:

Factory tank is sitting at 59g:

The 100cc tank is sitting alot lighter at 32g, mind you there were fuel hoses on the original tank weight:

Now what body to use? Had this shell lying around I will try it and see what it looks like on the speed rail:

Fits really nice, can't wait to splash some paint on it:

It had to be a bit more aerodynamic so I installed a front air dam, bet you can't figure out what this was before:

8lbs 3oz minus paint and fuel :

This baby is going to fly, now all that is left is get a paint booth rigged up 8)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
sshine440

Awesome Dude ,,,, let me know when your testing with video and ill do the same  :> )  :> )  Been waiting for your lead . give me a target .
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
ejc34710

Stumped on the air dam. What is it?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
pipedup

It is a piece of plastic that I removed from a new ball cap, it kept the crown up on the cap. Works perfectly for what I needed.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM
pipedup

Well I had some more time to work on the bullet so I decided to do some research into aerodynamics. I decided that I wanted to have the complete truck boxed in to reduce as much drag as possible. Now the trouble was figuring out how to do it without adding a pile or weight or emptying the wallet? Here is what I came up with, can't wait to see if it makes a difference.

I then thought about what I would do with the exhaust to keep the mess down, hope this works well:

Now this cost me $2.00 to do so if it doesn't work, oh well:

So do you think it will make a difference?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pipedup

It is a piece of plastic that I removed from a new ball cap, it kept the crown up on the cap. Works perfectly for what I needed.

thats what I thought it was LOL !!!!! too cool !
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Savage guys are among the most creative SOB's in "the hobby". ;-) I own one and we bash the hell out of it. I need to crack it open soon and start looking at ways to mod it some.....keeping it an extreme basher.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:03 AM
pipedup

Well I had time to splash some paint on the speed demon. Big Meany is born, I thought it was a fitting name as it will make people want to put their trucks back on the shelf after racing it It turned out better than I expected, enjoy.

Time to go "clock" some heartbreaking runs now
Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
sshine440

Lookin Big n Mean lol cant wait to see some video but let me know cuz im about done with my redesigned adjustable motor mount on the Direct Drive L. L. if it all comes out like i plan it will b EPIC or awesome or maybe BAD ARSE.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Insanity99

Nice paint job [X(] I wish i could paint, Im to worried that ill ruin whatever body I pick out.

Your running the new Nova right, Ive read nothing but good reviews here about them. Does it run like they it does? Id like to get one but Id have to save for a long time

Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 PM
pipedup

Unfortunatly I haven't had an opportunity to fire it up yet[]. I can't wait to see the power that these engines are supposed to have. As soon as I get it installed and tuned up I will post some video showing the performance.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 AM
M Shark

wow great work so far! I'm subscribing just to get any reference to any weight saving measures in the future.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 AM
djyjrlz

impressive build, i think a massive thing to reduce drag would be dropping the body, which might require making some new shock towers, possibly cutting up some spare buggy ones... i did it a few years ago on my savage ss and got amazing results, allowed me to fit truggy bodies for less drag and allowed the engine to pop out the top and get better cooling too. 

Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM
llkoolskillet

Well summers almost over, have you even made any passes?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Svg4.6kr

Wow awesome build! I also work with carbon fiber so seeing how you used the sheets gave me ideas to make my new chassis have ya made any runs with it yet? Keep up the great work.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 AM
pipedup

Originally Posted by llkoolskillet
Well summers almost over, have you even made any passes?

NOPE; Lost interest
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM
llkoolskillet

I should find this surprising but I don't. What I can't fathom is how someone could expel so much time, energy, and money, not to forget the trash talkin, into something only to quit and yes it looks like you quit.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 AM
pipedup

Originally Posted by llkoolskillet
I should find this surprising but I don't. What I can't fathom is how someone could expel so much time, energy, and money, not to forget the trash talkin, into something only to quit and yes it looks like you quit.
LOL the reason I put the time and energy into this was because it is a "hobby" I have other hobbies that are more interesting in my life at this time so I am not sure I would say I "quit" on this; just put it on hold. As for the trash talking, you are the only one with the gums flapping but hey if you need to respond feel free it is a public forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.