Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

t-maxx 3.3 starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-maxx 3.3 starting problems.

I recently came into possession of a used 3.3. I took it out today to start it(i've never seen it run) and it appears as though the ez start is slipping somewhere. I took the starter off this evening and none of the gears are stripped or worn. The electric motor is working well so i figure it sounds like the one way bearing is slipping on the motor shaft. Do you agree? If so is this a typical part to wear out? Thanks for any and all help in advance!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM
JoeMaxx

Default RE: t-maxx 3.3 starting problems.

The One Way Bearing is very easy to clean up with motor cleaner spray or nitro spray. It is not uncommon for them to slip after getting gunked up. You will also want to clean up your EZ Start System. I like to use a really light grease on the top end of the easy start such as Team Stealth Lube on the 3 gears where they spin on the EZ Start Motor.You do not need to apply grease anywhere else or it can cause problems and never use the Black Grease because it will harden over time.

I have never replaced a One Way Bearing on my 2002 Tmaxx and I am on the second engine with the almost orginal Ez Start System. I had to replace theEZ Start motor last year after 11 year of usebut had to clean the Ez Start Systema few times over the years once it starts to slip like you have explained. Here is a link from Traxxas on proper cleaning lubrication.

http://traxxas.com/support/How-Clean...ne-Way-Bearing
Old 05-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Xtfreak

I recently came into possession of a used 3.3. I took it out today to start it(i've never seen it run) and it appears as though the ez start is slipping somewhere. I took the starter off this evening and none of the gears are stripped or worn. The electric motor is working well so i figure it sounds like the one way bearing is slipping on the motor shaft. Do you agree? If so is this a typical part to wear out? Thanks for any and all help in advance!
Your question as already been answered, but I'll add my 2cents in here. I find the EZ-start system rubbish, thats just me. I usualy go away with it and get a pull start. Or if you still want the ease of electric starting. There the tiger-drive roto start, you could get that.
Best of luck to you mate.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:36 PM
AnAlternateEgo

It was definitely the one way bearing. fixed it yesterday. I have a pull start, im not really great at tuning yet so i like the electric starts so i'm not just pulling for an hour before it finally starts. I will say that the blue ignitor cable is trash....i just use my own glow ignitor. I have thought seriously about tiger drive before but i don't have any other vehicles that i use it with currently and i already have the ezstart wand so i'm just sticking with it. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Zrock

What i do with mine is use a glow ignitor for the first start of the day. Then i just use the wand for the rest of the day as once the engine had gotten some heat in it starts easy with just the blue wire after that. Then i don't have to cary around a ignitor and a wand..
Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM
JoeMaxx

I have removed the Blue wires off all 3 of my Traxxas Engines and always use a Glow Igniter these days.   

Read many tips on Tuning but I have found that the first half Tank each day is when I tune the engine in.   I spend about  10 minutes getting it tuned in after the engine is warmed up to get the High Speed Needle set right.   I have a unique situation where I live because the outdoor temps can swing 20 degrees each weekend I go out to play at around 6000 Feet Above sea level.  So fine tuning is a must each time I play.     

Traxxas Engines will tend to run hot so a Infra Red Temp Gauge helps with getting it to run around 240 Degrees and top heat on these engines is 270 Degrees.   

I have never found the EZ Start System to be junk in the 14 years I have been using them.   They are dependable and work until like anything else on a Nitro needs maintenance