Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 AM
dunkonu23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Congratulations on finishing ground school!  I bet you're excited to get in the air for real, Dave!  I know I would be! 

It's good to see you back in the fold, bro!

Scott
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 AM
phillyD

Yes to all, very correct Sir Dave about the Lingering and congrats about being ready to leave terra firma with all the publicans behind LMAO.

Yes Ivan time to unstorage
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
9sec240

Philly and Dave.. nice to see you both back.

I am still working on the house. Got the basement ready to paint tonight. I have the two spare bedrooms ready for paint also. Still tons to do.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 PM
dunkonu23

Paint 'er up, Ivan! It's a lot of work, but knowing you, your new home will be beautiful! Before and after pics?

Scott
Old 04-27-2013, 12:19 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Dave - I need to take my own advice! I've flown nothing but the Scout for awhile!

Phil - Arghh, matey...

The pic is all I could fit in my minivan which was NOT a significant part of the collection (Shhh, we gotta' get Ivan some help!! LOL!). What a treat I got to "fondle" each & every one of Ivan's heli's & most of his airplanes!

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37349.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1876551  
Old 04-27-2013, 04:11 PM
9sec240

LOL.. thanks again for your help Chuck. And the donations to the cause. I will be working on going through boxes and finding places for stuff for some time!

Old 04-27-2013, 05:46 PM
phillyD

aaaahhh. Did someone say fondle?? I fondled the blade 450 3D(with opposite swash-Ivan) off of my table, Now it is to get the hughes bladed,nosesprayed and check the tail.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - Your's was the 1st move I've done that I enjoyed! If you decide there isn't enough room in the bedrooms, basement & garage, give me a call & I'll come pick up the excess! LOL That crow bar I left should do quick work on the swing set in the yard!

Phil - what do you think of the Blade 450? I've heard mixed reports.

The rain stopped early this morning & the winds died down, so I took the mCP X out front for a quick spin but my neighbor came over & lobbied me to fly my airplanes. So I took the newly repaired micro Telemaster over to the park. Keep in mind, it has not had a full pack trhough it yet. I flew 2 full packs through it including a couple of very nice loops. I was telling my neighbor how some of the bigger Telemasters had problems with the wings coming off in high G manuevers because of the magnets letting go! Check out the pic. The wing split in half as I was starting my down side loop. The wing halves fluttered to the ground while the fuse did a lawn dart into the muddy grass. Not sure I can fix it!

Came home & since it was still fairly calm took the 300X for a spin in front. Felt good & handled the gusts pretty well. It didn't seem to have much punch though. When I landed the battery (nano-Tech w/ maybe 5 or 6 flights) was very hot & very puffy! I checked the other nano I had & it was puffy even though I hadn't used it in awhile. So gotta' order a couple more packs but NOT nano techs!

Tomorrow's task on my 1st full real day of retirement is to clean off the workbench so I can start the heli Pro build!

Chuck

Name:	Vt58840.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1876924  
Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM
9sec240

Awww... poor telemaster.

I moved all of the hobby stuff into the basement. I need to keep the carpet clear because I am getting it cleaned tomorrow so I managed to pack everything into the paint closet and the utility room. I sure hope they don't open either of those doors or they will see my "problem". LOL.

Lots more painting, spackeling, cleaning, sanding, vacuuming, trips to Home Depot etc today. Window guy came out to measure for some window repairs I need. Had to hit up Best Buy to get a modem so I could get online. Called Comcast and got that working. I installed the fridge and found out that the water tank on it froze over the winter and cracked. I am going to have to order a replacement. I got the old dishwasher removed and the new one installed and working. I installed the gas range and found I need a larger gas supply fitting on the end of the supply pipe. I got the over range microwave installed. Worked on getting stuff put away... still tons to do.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 AM
dunkonu23

Sounds like a lot of work, Ivan!  I bet you're really happy it's all happening, though!  Soon, the only thing you'll have to do is regular maintenance and then it'll be clear sailing. 

Scott
Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: dunkonu23
Congratulations on finishing ground school! I bet you're excited to get in the air for real, Dave!
Thanks (from all of you). It's nice to have my Tues, Thurs and weekends back. Still have one more cram session for the official test.

Ivan-
unstorage all of the R/C? That could take months. Happy, fun filled months!
Paintin' sounds a lot like work, but I'm sure you'd rather be painting your own house, than sitting around waiting for it!

phD-
Stop knocking stuff over.

Chuck-
Fly, breath, blink! Everyday is Saturday!
Ahh, rain. That would be nice, send some my way. Worst drought since 1950's. Lots of wind. Our four seasons are Summer, Fall, Winter and Wind
Sorry to hear about the high altitude lawn dart. Yours didn't have magnets? So they just separated in midair?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 AM
clp.eng

Dave - we are coming out of a real bad draught ourselves, so I ain't sending any until we catch up! It was a one piece wing & just failed in flight! Doens' look like my glue job but I'm not sure what happened. The wing was held on by magnets & they worked pretty good on this little guy. No excuses - Go FLY!

Ivan - I'm guessing your legs hurt from all those trips from the garage to the basement (which I forgot to see when I was there!)! LOL I'm pretty sure that the Shrike is beyond my limited build experience. It requires a lot of shaping & modifying w/o a lot of pics or instructions. Sorry!

Chuck
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM
phillyD

All right Sir Chucky
It flew reasonably well as best it could with an Eflite gyro..well, I will be biased as I stick with the 401 gyro and the spartan, well after trying all the others generally that is out there. One thing I did not like though is how flexible the upper part of the frame is. It can work though.

Chucky the telemaster...it's always something... that's messed up.

Ivan your problem? I ain't knocking that. I love your problem. It saved me my sanity with the opposite moving swash..Keep your problem LMAO

Real nice Dave.."everyday is saturday" LOL.On my knocking stuff over..is only to get my bladly balanced blades(came like that from the manufaturer) changed to my painted tig weave bladed. I don't like black blades. I'll take a pic of how I paint them.

Name:	Uq49743.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1877681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84459.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1877682  
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
clp.eng

Phil - what's for dinner? Nice paint job. Use spray paint? I kinda' like the look of the composite ones myself!

Dave - it's better than Saturday 'cuz 5 outta' 7 days almost nobody is around! I'm going to try avoiding going out on Saturday 'cuz of the crowds! LOL

Spent most of my 1st week of Saturdays sneezing & fighting a cold... Afraid to fly 'cuz the sneezes have a way of sneaking up unexpectedly!

Chuck
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM
dunkonu23

I can't wait until everday is Saturday for me. Ten more years. Will Imake it? I dunno. Film at 11.

We replaced all seven of the Moho tires today... two wheels, too. It was messed up. Turns out the two rear inside tires were from a different manufacturer and both rims were wornone was just plain beaten to death. One of the tires was badly cut. Damn lucky we were. Now, all six main tires and the spare are new. Tomorrow, we take it out and camp in it.

Scott
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
phillyD

Ok Sir Chuck
Cooking is.. Wind-pie and doughnut centers. Tha should be" filling" enough.
Yea spray paint works good enough. At this point the white is on.
Sir Scotty
There is a comedian in the caribbean who talks about singing around the camp fire burning then tent burning then throw water LOL So don't build no stinkin campfire.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
clp.eng

Scott - I think it will be an "interesting" transition for me as I've worked since I was a kid. Some people adapt like a duck to water, others not so easy! I just hope the money holds out as NONE of the kids have ever voluteened to take us in LOL

Phil - Yummy LOL!

Chuck
Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: clp.eng
Dave - we are coming out of a real bad draught ourselves, so I ain't sending any until we catch up! It was a one piece wing & just failed in flight!
That's fair about the water, but when you have your fill, send the clouds my way. We have a 40+ acre fire burning just north of us.
From the pictures, it looks almost like a clean separation. Can you tell any more from a closer look at the damage/separation?
So true about it being better that Saturday! Every day's a Saturday that looks like a Thursday...?
I have no doubt about it, you'll find things to fill your "Saturdays", once you settle in and start thinking, "Hmmm, what adventure will I have today?"

phD-
I'm with you, don't like black blades either. "Invisible blades of death!" Nice paint job.

Scott-
Damn on the tires! Glad nothing serious happened while drivin' on 'em.

Ivan-
work...work...work...

My first prototype on the RGB buoys for RoboSub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ37qIlIQGs
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ37qIlIQGs[/youtube]

-Dave
Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 PM
clp.eng

Dave - I don't have much experience with failure analysis, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for! It does appear that most of the glue joints held as there is balsa around all the small sticks. I spent some of today "practicing" sitting on the deck doing pretty much nothing but relaxing! It's hard but I'll keep after that one! Nice LEDs. I was wondering if it might be more efficient using a reflector on both ends to bounce the light around a bit. Might even be able to use only one LED then - just something that popped into my head while I was watching the vid!

I'll try to send some rain but everything seems to be pretty goofy wx wise every where! We (northern IL) were warmer than the south except for FL today!

Scott - one other thought about every day being Saturday - to get here you usually have to be OLD - that ain't fun! LOL

Started on the new build today & figured out how to mount the FBL unit but then found out the ESC is wider than the interior! Another challenge. I also found out the servos fit just fine in the front two slots but not on either side slot! Maybe the holes in the aluminum piece is off. This is good as I only need to modify one servo not all three! Pics when there's something to show!

Chuck
Old 05-06-2013, 02:34 AM
dunkonu23

Phil,

I asked my wife if she wanted to build a camp fire... she said, "No way!" LOL! Good call, Phil! Other than that, the first camping experience in the moho was great. The only minor glitch was the valve line-up for the water system was mislabled so I had to spend an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to NOTbypass the water heater. Took two hours and a lot of running around the motor home to switch one valve position there... fun stuff. Oh... leveling. found out Saturday night that the motor home had settled some in the muddy mess Imade doing santizing and flushing the fresh water system. That won't be needed again until next year. We left it unsettled and just went to bed. It is very odd to be camping and not missing anything from home. The satellite system I concocted worked great!

Helicopters. (To keep it on topic.) Next time out, we drive to Cincy to a fun fly... no hookups there.

Scott
Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 AM
dunkonu23

Chuck,

Same here... working since a kid. I found out when I was recovering from my shoulder surgery that I really liked not going to workit was a nice two month break. I don't think I'll have problems adapting.

Enjoy your Saturdays, Chuck!

Scott
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 AM
phillyD

Sir Scotty
What a beautiful piece of prose on the campfire and the "not bypassing the water heater" LMAO
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

Dave - I don't have much experience with failure analysis, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for! It does appear that most of the glue joints held as there is balsa around all the small sticks. I spent some of today ''practicing'' sitting on the deck doing pretty much nothing but relaxing! Nice LEDs. I was wondering if it might be more efficient using a reflector on both ends to bounce the light around a bit. Might even be able to use only one LED then - just something that popped into my head while I was watching the vid!

I'll try to send some rain but everything seems to be pretty goofy wx wise every where! We (northern IL) were warmer than the south except for FL today!
Well, checking the glue joints is a good first start. Can you tell where it fail, and maybe how it failed?
Sounds like a good practice day. You know what they say, practice makes perfect.
I tried with just one LED, but there's too much volume to fill for a single LED (it gets dark at the top). For this video, I had a white sheet of paper on the bottom, and a white "end cap" with the LED at the top. I'm also experimenting with putting the LEDs in the middle and shooting one up and one down (that way, they would only have to fill 5" of the tube, instead of trying to fill the entire 10"). I also have some different light diffusing material on the way.

Any rain will help, It was suppose to rain today, and I think 9 drops hit the car on the way to work. Most of the time, it's just verga, which is another way of saying "rain that evaporates 1/2 way to the ground"

Scott-
Nice moho story.

Just making colorful lights...
-Dave

Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM
dunkonu23

Dave and Phil...

Got another one...

When we put the moho back in storage after our weekend out, I forgot to drain the hot water tank. So, I went back yesterday. The previous owner (only one before me) had installed a faucet on the drain plug. Well... glug.... glug... glug.... ten minutes later, still glug... glug...glug. Then it hit me... open the relief valve! Five minutes later, empty water heater. I felt so dumb!! Thankfully, it was in an empty storage area. Tomorrow Igo back to put the tire covers on. The covers just came today. That's gonna be fun, too. All these first-timer mistakes makes this whole thing a different kind of learning experience.

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys... when Igot the new tires... first turn... over a curb. Gotta love it. That's the only time and hopefully the last time that happens.

Over the weekend, except mother's day, I'm gonna start working on the helicopters for the Mid America Fun Fly. Ican't fly the Rush in class, so it's going to be another 700 sized helicopter I have. I need to put the upgrades on that helicopter and install the AR7200BX back on it.

Scott
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM
dunkonu23

Oh.. here are some pictures...

Name:	Mk25805.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1880064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41225.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1880065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76056.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1880066  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.