Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Electronic fuel mix

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Electronic fuel mix

OK Guys...read this and get the engine motorheads to seThe basis of this revolutionary engine technology is electronic characteristic mapping. The new aspect is that the ignition timing is not determined by engine speed alone but also by load. The electronically controlled injection system always determines the optimum ignition and fuel injection values for every operating state, and so you can expect top performance in every situation. With the new STIHL Injection system, compromising on engine tuning is a thing of the past. There is no need for a carburetor, or for any manual settings. The fully automatic engine tuning, which is optimized for power and consumption, guarantees you top-class power output at all times and for all tasks.t up a RC engine for us. Click below Capt,n

Here is a link.
http://www.stihl.com/the-world-first...injection.aspx
Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: New Electronic fuel mix

Quite innovative and very impressive though somewhat complex.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read that previously and was pretty impressed with it. But I was thinking it might be a experiment of a sorts to see how well it works in the field with real users though. Plus does a cutoff tool have much of a throttle? I haven't tried running one so I don't know if they have any throttle speeds to the engine or not. My electric cutoff tool at home pretty much is on or off, no inbetween. So maybe they simplified the fuel injection by only have idle and full speed (up to a fixed governor limit speed of course).
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Husqvarna 545 50cc chainsaw. It has computerized mixture control as well as a data logger that tells how many times it was started, the max rpm, how long it idled and how long at speed, idle speed, mixture stting at the different speeds etc.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 PM
BubbasanJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow if this tech could be brought to our engines, that would be a great leap forward.  Well as long as its dependable.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 AM
w8ye

Most new design weed whacker and chainsaw engines are of a strato charged design that has a timed purging shot of plain air going through the cylinder between the exhast and intake events.

This Strato design was first set up by Zenoah of all people. It is mechanically timed and has nothing to do with computers.

Zenoah now belongs to Husqvarna but the Strato technology is also used by Stihl.

All the timed air injection and computer controlled mixture with the data logger technology could easily be used as a model engine but uses a magneto. Some designs will easily flip start but others would need an electric starter.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 AM
w8ye

Someone with some money needs to commision one of our resident garu's to make up a Husqvarna or Stihl Strato engine. The Husqvarna's are the ones with the data loggers that you read with your lap top.

There is the Husqvarna 545 and 550 that are 50cc. Then there are the Husqvarna 555, 560, and 562 engines that are 62cc. Soon to be Husky 70cc designs. The higher numbers of the two series have more HP with full circle cranks. Sthil also has 50, 60, & 70cc designs with auto mixture control but no data loggers or laptop computer interfaces.

Non of these are free standing clam shell designs. The oil tank and anti-vibration parts of the magnesium crankcases would need to be removed.

The Strato design is set up to be a piston ported event and I don't know of any reed valve set ups?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Very intresting, thanks for the additional information.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 AM
w8ye

These new engines will free run at 15,000 rpm like it was nothing. But they have bucking coils in the ignitions that limits the ignition to 14,000.

They don't have the 3rd boost port on the intakes like the DA and Chinese reed valve engines but they are ported plenty good the way they are.

These chainsaws will run in excess of 9,500 cutting in the wood.

The Strato engines have a broad flat torque curve.

The existing stock carburetor is good enough. You don't need a new carburetor.

To modify or change the muffler is automatically compensated for in the computerized fuel mixture control.

The design technology is Japanese but the Husqvarna engines are mostly made in Sweden and the Stihls are made in Virginia, Germany, or Brazil.

Some of the cheapest of Strato engines are made in China but the Chinese ones are not computer mixture controlled yet.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuel injected, ICU controlled engine is not too far away for our hobby when Stihl incorporates it. It sure enters the affordable ranges now.
We may have to do some tweaking and reverse engineering on the internal PIC controller though.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Having been in the computer controlled and fuel injected engine business I can say one of the biggest challenges
was to get the system to work well at the same time keeping the price reasonable, no small accomplishment!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

fuel injection is inevitable for small engines, current small cc dirtbike are using injection and the system uses no battery...pollution control is serious business
Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This all sounds real interesting and I think in time the prices will get low enough to incorperate on a lot of our RC engines. Keep the data & good ideas flowing. This gets me excided again!!!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

This all sounds real interesting and I think in time the prices will get low enough to incorperate on a lot of our RC engines. Keep the data & good ideas flowing. This gets me excided again!!!!!
About 10 years ago OS had a fuel injected, pressurized and temperature adjusted fuel deliverysystem incorporated into their 140RX glow 2 stroke. Several top guys in Pattern bought into that hyperbole and had some early success. Most of us stayed on the sidelines of that development and watched.Sure enoughas things started to wear, this thingy wouldn't seat right, that thingy didn't slide right, etc etc. After a couple years of frustration, guys gave up on that idea, an idea and conceptthat was full of promise.....

Maybe gasoline is different and this experience will also be different, better. I am all for new and innovative things for all aspects of model planes, but also am a firm believer in KISS. I'm from Missouri on this one. Show me!!

Have to wonder, is fuel injection the best next thingy to develop or just the next thing to tinker with? Current state of art is essentially very simple; very few things can go wrong and once they do,they're relatively easy to diagnose. Hard to argue with that formula....
Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

About 10 years ago OS had a fuel injected, pressurized and temperature adjusted fuel deliverysystem incorporated into their 140RX glow 2 stroke. Several top guys in Pattern bought into that hyperbole and had some early success. Most of us stayed on the sidelines of that development and watched.Sure enoughas things started to wear, this thingy wouldn't seat right, that thingy didn't slide right, etc etc. After a couple years of frustration, guys gave up on that idea, an idea and conceptthat was full of promise.....

Maybe gasoline is different and this experience will also be different, better. I am all for new and innovative things for all aspects of model planes, but also am a firm believer in KISS. I'm from Missouri on this one. Show me!!

Have to wonder, is fuel injection the best next thingy to develop or just the next thing to tinker with? Current state of art is essentially very simple; very few things can go wrong and once they do,they're relatively easy to diagnose. Hard to argue with that formula....
The price for the OS system was outrageous and they only partially supported it for a short while. It was a open ended system which you had to set the parameters in flight.