Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Engine cleaning advise needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine cleaning advise needed.

There is a very good cleaner at Costco that is sold in concentrated gallon jugs. It is called "Maintex Heavy Duty Cleaner Degreaser". It's cheap too at only about 8 bucks a jug. But you need to read the instructions and dilute it properly, and I don't recommend heating it. I put a too strong solution of this cleaner into a crockpot and put my disassembled Super Tiger .90 into it. I was a little disturbed at all the tiny bubbles coming up, so I only left it in there for a couple of minutes. Good thing because it was eating the aluminum!! It turned the aluminum a little grey, and it is a touch rougher texture than it was, but luckily the engine still works fine. Damn good thing I didn't leave it in there for hours; probably would have eaten the whole engine! But properly diluted and used as a cleaning spray instead of to soak, it works great.

Reminds me of the machinist that used to do all my race engine work. Back before aluminum engines were common, he put an aluminum block from a car engine into his hot tank to soak/clean overnight. The next morning he pulled on the chain to remove the block, and it was gone! Completely dissolved! Can you imagine the look of horror on his face???

As a side note, don't use carburetor cleaning spray on your carbs. On the Zama carbs, it will instantly ruin any check valves in the carb. (Ask me how I know....) I have never had it happen with Walbro carbs, but just to be safe I stopped using carb spray on the interior of any carbs I rebuild. I use WD-40 instead to blow the passages and orifices out and verify that they are flowing. You can take the inlet screen out and clean it separately with carb cleaner, but I wouldn't use it on the interior of the carb.

AV8TOR
Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before and after of the Cox Conquest with Dawn Power Dissolver. The Supertiger was very bad and I used the crockpot. TheRoyal was almost as bad as the ST, and used the Dawn PD. The Dawn wasn't taken apart at all, just sprayed, left alone for ten minutes, and scrubbed with a toothbrush, rinsed in the sink, and ran after an hour or so, just so the water was out for sure. The crockpot Ihad to take the carb off (it isn't cleaned) and the muffler etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39419.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1879997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82354.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1879998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50937.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1879999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vk23182.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1880000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht97596.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1880001  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Made my above post this morning before the coffee was ready..... I was in the "Glow Engine" forum when I thought I was in the "Gas Engine" forum. Hence my comments about Zama and Walbro carbs.

I'll try to wait until I am awake before posting from now on.

AV8TOR
Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
Default RE: Rice Cooker instead of a Crockpot?

ORIGINAL: Dan Matheson Hey guys, can't seem to locate a cheap crockpot, but I did run across a wholesale/Salvage store and found a RICE COOKER and it looks just like a crockpot only it has a metal cooking bowl. It has Hi and Low settings. They are going for $5.00 each! Think this would serve the purpose for engine cleaning? If so, the place has around 25 of them! Just a thought. :idea:
Dan, I don't think you'd want to use it. The high setting is for boiling the rice until done. The low is for keeping the rice warm before and during a meal. The high is too high and the low is too low.

OTOH, a crock pot on low heats the fluid to just below boiling temperatures, which is what you need for 24 hours or so for engine cleaning. You could probably get a hot plate and a sauce pan with lid. Set the heat to a level just below that of boiling, keep an eye on it a couple hours to make sure the heat is set just right and before going to bed. It will work, however the crockpot of course is a safer method.

Just a thought.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Rocketman_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures show how well the antifreeze bath in a crock pot works. A club member brought this crankcase in to show at a club meeting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25663.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1880041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78496.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1880042  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM
aspeed

The Supertiger and the Royal were about like that, maybe a little more on the bottom end. I would say they Dawn PD and crockpot give the same results, but the Dawn is easier. I only have two more filthy motors to clean and they are still in planes, so I won't do before and after pics until I change motors or crash, whichever comes first.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 PM
mike109

G'day

<IRONY>
Actually, I think the rice cooker would be perfect for Asian engines but not so good for European ones which need one that can cook pasta.

Australian engines clean well if soaked in beer. Larger works best. Preferable very cold.

I am not sure about US engines but I suspect that some brands of BBQ sauce might work well as a degreaser. Coke is too acidic.

</IRONY>

Mike in Oz

Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 AM
aspeed

Russian motors in Vodka.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_ Pictures show how well the antifreeze bath in a crock pot works. A club member brought this crankcase in to show at a club meeting.
Amazing, looks like new. Does the crockpot also remove light corrosion on aluminum and brass, light rust on steel?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:25 PM
simitar1
My Feedback: (60)

Dawn Power Dissolver is available in most any Walmart, Super Markets, etc. Just look in the same area as the rest of the liquid cleaners like Mr. Clean.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: aspeed

Russian motors in Vodka.