Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM
FlatSpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Just let go I don't stick a hose from my muffler and stick it up my nose
Well if you did at least you would die quicker. Very high lead poisoning is a horrible way to go. Though I doubt you will get more than the 10 Mg to classify as true lead poisoning, you will at least have problems with memory and self control.

It is so easy to avoid, and it won't even help your situation.
Don't forget about the lead weights they sell for balancing our models! Bad! Bad! Bad! I switched to stainless steel weights several years ago.

Dave
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

SOOOOO....HOW DOES THIS THING RUN???? This thread seems to be wandering around aimlessly. Enough with the political discussions and off-topic baloney...back to the motor!!! Does this thing really perform as it appears in the video? How is the idle? The top end power? Is it fussy to tune? How does that funky plug hold up?

I read that a few guys got their hands on one of these a month or two ago but haven't seen any reports back as to how the thing runs. With no ignition box to install, this technology solves every problem for installation of a gas engine in a small model. The motor is about the same weight as a .25BB glow. If it truly performs as in the video, this motor is right up there with iron-on covering, CA glue and computer radios. Not only is this the last nail in the coffin for glow engines, but model gas engines with ignition boxes will also feel the heat from this thing. Even some guys flying electrics might be converted.

C'MON GUYS....some feedback, PLEASE!!

Thanks,

Mike Norris
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Well, sort of. First of all, it IS a glow engine. And I don't think us Combat fliers will be ditching glow fuel any time soon - for one thing, gasoline rots bladder tubing!

I think there are enough of the things out there now that any allegations that the initial reports were faked can be laid to rest (check out some of the earlier posts on this thread - quite entertaining). And the initial reports already give an indication of how well the things run. But Norvel better sell as many as they can before the likes of OS and Sanye come out with their versions!

Iskandar
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing wrong with drug store castor except for the higher price.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Of course, now with the Affordable Care Act, we will all be well taken care of and won't have to worry about any health issues.

Course we will not be able to aford anything else. So we will just sit around and let doctors probe us and stick needles in us. Then someday they will program a virtual world into our minds and use our bodies for a power sourse to power their giant super computers.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Just let go I don't stick a hose from my muffler and stick it up my nose
Well if you did at least you would die quicker. Very high lead poisoning is ahorrible way to go. Though I doubt you will get more than the 10 Mg to classify as true lead poisoning, you will at least have problems with memory and self control.

It is so easy to avoid, and it won't even help your situation.
Don't forget about the lead weights they sell for balancing our models! Bad! Bad! Bad! I switched to stainless steel weights several years ago.

Dave
Well actually touching lead isn't really bad for you. Even getting shot isn't as the body will not asorb it. Now swallowing it or breathing lead compounds is really bad for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM
iskandar taib

Can't remember where I got this from, but the current discussion made me think of it all of a sudden. I suspect "3rd grade" gas would work fine in this engine.

Iskandar
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 AM
psgugrad

Any idea what that plane weighs?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM
hllywdb

Just under 5 1/2 lbs. 5 full size servos, 2000mah bat. Metal landing gear with perfect wheels, it adds weight but holds up well.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
toolmaker7341

[quote]ORIGINAL: psgugrad

SOOOOO....HOW DOES THIS THING RUN???? This thread seems to be wandering around aimlessly. Enough with the political discussions and off-topic baloney...back to the motor!!! Does this thing really perform as it appears in the video? How is the idle? The top end power? Is it fussy to tune? How does that funky plug hold up?

I read that a few guys got their hands on one of these a month or two ago but haven't seen any reports back as to how the thing runs. With no ignition box to install, this technology solves every problem for installation of a gas engine in a small model. The motor is about the same weight as a .25BB glow. If it truly performs as in the video, this motor is right up there with iron-on covering, CA glue and computer radios. Not only is this the last nail in the coffin for glow engines, but model gas engines with ignition boxes will also feel the heat from this thing. Even some guys flying electrics might be converted.

Well it runs,ran 10 oz thru it today.Tacked 12500 rpm at the end of the run with a paddle blade TF 10-6 with the high speed needle closed? Set the carb per instructions? Won't idle just quites. It seem finicky but got to get the carb set and alot more time on the engine before I make any statments. Maybe I should suck on a lead popsicle to keep this thread more active. :-)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM
AJsToyz

Mike,

No problems like that with mine, its running well. I need to get a club card (new thing this year) before I can hit the field. I will say it idles better on pump grade premium vs unleaded race fuel. When you remove the ignighter from the glow plug with the race fuel it acts like a four stroke with low nitro, starts to slow down and run a little erratic on the low end. I can get the idle around 2000 with the Sunoco 260 GTX. I will have some flight reports soon if the weather stays nice this way, got very gusty yesterday.

Andy
Old 05-05-2013, 02:51 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Well, Been working out of town since before mine arrived, so time to play has been very limited.
First ran it a couple of weeks ago, using only about 4 ozs in tank. Ran it sloberingly rich to limit RPMS, and it ran about 15 min and sucked the tank dry.
Did have a slight mishap thou, but Alex and NV promptly took care of me to great satisfaction.
Ran it again today on about 5 ozs fuel. This time only slightly rich, and toward end of run, did experiment a little with opening up the throttle and adjusting the needle valve and idle screw somewhat. Just beginning to get used to it. Did have to hold down my Workmate that the test stand was mounted on as it wanted to "take off".
Got a 40 sz Rascal clone I'll probably put this in and hoping to use a 12x4 prop with it. So far I'm very pleased with this engine and my experiences with it

T-man49 in Al
Club Saito 723
Spitfire Bro 19
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM
hllywdb

There seems to be some confusion on octane levels. 100 octane here in the US is more like 105-110 in other parts of the world. Their 100 octane is more like 94 octane here in the states. Our 100 octane is way too much for this motor, you would need more compression and perhaps a bit different port timing. Like I stated earlier, putting Sunoco race gas makes mom's station wagon run worse, not better. All you are going to do is make less power, idle poorly and over heat the engine. 91 or 93 Octane (US) is all you need in the motor. Plain old pump gas, which was the original intent of the motor, to make things simpler and more economical, not harder. Mine doesn't seem to care if I run Sunoco, Shell, or Mobil, seem to get the best results with 93 Octane. You realy don't save much running 89 octane when you are burning 4oz at a time.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM
fiery

Could someone please provide a link to a 'youtube' video or similar, showing the engine being run, with throttle response?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM
UltimateFlyer120

I just got mine in the mail. going to find out how it 3D on a 4 lb profile! Now waiting for the fuel to settle several days then the break in.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Ernie Misner

Awesome Victor! Which profile? Thanks! Check out the Sabre by Value Hobby...... very light!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:15 PM
UltimateFlyer120

I'm using a Swanny Burrito to do the break in and going to use a Wild Tiger when I finish building it. The Wild Tiger will be under 4 lbs. Should be in the air sometime next week.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Ernie Misner

Who makes the Wild Tiger. Do you have a link to that? Thanks a bunch.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 AM
UltimateFlyer120

Ernie, Go to the profile brotherhood site search for "Wild Tiger" Find the build thread. Mark Shope designed and cut the kit. The Wild Tiger is a fun build. The motor mount rails fit a 25 to 35 motor. I think this NV GX 40 will make a good fit weight wise. Time will tell.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 AM
hsukaria

The NV 40 (AX or GX) has a mounting size of a standard 40, not the smaller 36. Same mounting as an OS.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 AM
hllywdb

The mount rails are a bit wider than a 32, but wieght wise you are good. More like a BB 25 in wieght.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:25 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

What is the Oil %? And how how clean A runner is it? any problem with carbon build up or the glow plug fowling?

Sorry if these Questions have been addressed but I'll be darned if I could find them.

Thanks

Richard
Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM
hllywdb

Oil is 14% by volume. Haven't fouled a plug in over a year of running. Clean up is about 1/3 of glow fuel. Carbon build up is less than a conventional gasoline motor. Probably due to higher rpm and better scavanging? Would be my guess anyway.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does castor oil mix with pump gasoline OK? Or do you need to use Klotz benol or something instead? Could you use a synthetic oil such as Stihl Ultra or Redline, etc?
I happen to have a old brand new profile .40 size 3D plane that ought to be perfect for the engine, so I ordered one of the Norvel Gas engines to use on it.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 PM
hllywdb

I get the best results with Klotz Benol. It still needs to set for 3 or 4 days to mix well before you use it. Synthetics are NOT to be used. You can use straight castor, but it will have to set for at least a week to mix with the gas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.