Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ASM LANCASTER 120" BUILD ALONG

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ASM LANCASTER 120" BUILD ALONG

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Mikael-OEMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASM LANCASTER 120

Hi guys
I just received the undercarriage yesterday. All I've had the time to is open the boxes and take a look. It would have been nice to see a parts list and or an assembly instruction in there.
The remaining servos are ordered from the Al's Hobbies.
I have made no considerations as to receiver and powersupply and such.
I've been thinking about whether to glue it together, leaving only the outer wings detachable. What are you doing here?
Those ribs that look like cabletrays in the fuselage of Grahams Lanc. Are they of his own making or something that is sold somewhere?
Best regards
Mikael
Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well wonders will never cease I have put the Lank back on the table,I only hope I can now see the project through to the end. Today I found the servos for the rudder and installed them. Yet to do the linkage I have two Hitec 5245 MG ,one reversed (I hope) looking good. Yours Paul T
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back. I have been suscribed to this thread for years. I thought it was dead. Lets hope you get the Lank in the air this time. I don't have the Lank, but I am having a good time with the ASM B17G.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Quigleywins

Well I ran into the first problem the Satio 65 is not a good fit. they are to long and just a bit to wide so I need to re think the power sorce. I still think that 4 strokes are the better option.
CCFPILOT good to hear from you what power have you got in the B17G . Four of anything will be a jolt to the pocket and I don't think 2 stroke is my thinmg for this project.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM
CCFPILOT

Quigleywins

I started with 4 Magnum XL52 RFS, but I found they were too hard to get adjusted, so I switched to OS 56FS-a. The OS are working great. After seting them up I haven't had to do any more adjustment. The only problem was the price of about $1,200 for four, but I guess it is worth it, as it takes the frustration out of having engine problems so far.

Good luck with your Lank.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Quigleywins

CFPILOT Thanks for the information. At the moment I have in the collection one Saito 72 and one OS 70. so with that said I only need 3 more. I have checked the Saito 72 and its smaller than the 65 and will fit with ease.I think what I did was checked the 72 Saito for fit and then thought the 65 will be smaller,Hope you can see my thought train. I went ahead and aquired the 65s (I have 5 ) Now with no work . So the shopping hat is on. One reason that I went back to the Lanc was No more to spend. (just installed the Solar power unit to the House) this is not cheap to do.I'l do the thinking over the weekend and either go with the OS or Saito. I always wondered if a pair of big ones on the two inner motors with smaller ones on the outside could be an option and safer to fly I do have a large number of OS 55 and OS 46s around 12 in total. but the lanc would sound like crap with 2 strokes.
So its back to the servo instalations with time to think.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Quigleywins

Motor selection still looking at the options.The Saito and 72 is so neat a fit and I need around 1/8 of an inch more os we are back to the selection. With the information I have the the choice is almost made, O.S. FS-62V . It will take a few weeks to get the cash but they do look nice. this motor is 10mm shorter than the Saito 72 and it almost fits. The Saito 65 was to wide and long. The saito 72 is too long by only about 3mm I could make it fit but the gap between the spiner would look odd. Yours Paul T
Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Quigleywins

The OS 62 V four stroke,the first one is home and it fitts,very neat but its in there. Three more to get that will slow things up a bit. Yours Paul T
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM
CCFPILOT

Great Paul,

We've been waiting this long, I guess a little longer will be OK. Keep going.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Quigleywins

Second motor home .I was going to go to the field with the new motors,the first mounted in a trainer to give them a short run. then mount the second after about 3 fights . well our Golden retrever had 11 pups last night so the usual Sunday flying was turned into pupy sitting. 6 Girls and 5 boys. all doing well. Yours Paul T
Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Quigleywins

What the motors look like in place. There was not much between the two but the OS 62v four stroke is the better. The first photo is the Satio 72. yours Paul T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30010.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1887181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59056.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1887182  
Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Quigleywins

Third motor home,only one to go. Weather is bad so the test run of the motors is a week away still. Just sitting here watching the rain.It will stop but not before Sunday.Yours Paul T
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 AM
grahamaberdeen

hey there paul .........sorry been very hashed busy of late....hope you are well and glad your nearly finished, just a wee pointer for you, i have had to replace all my nacells due to cracking of abs plastic on forward firewalls, this was really bad on the outers which are just plastic, i strongly recomend that you fiberglass tissue the engine bay and as much rearward as possible including the seams, the inboards you may get away with as they are glass already.
also re retracts there is brass bushes on retract sides where the leg pivots, these bushes seem to pop out after a time it would be worthwhile to secure them externally to prevent this happining, i just cyano a thin bit ply over them and problem was solved. look forward to the maiden, regarding ail -rudder mix i have mine at 65% this seems ok

regards

graham
Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Quigleywins

It was great to hear from you after quiet some time. I have taken on board the fiber glassing of the engine bays. I had already thought that would be required so it will be on the to do list. As for the near finished its still a long way off. It's still on the building table along with several others major projects. ( Hanger 9 Jackel and a Crusader scratch build.) My wings have been cliped at the moment money wise and I still need one more engine,I have 3, one has now about an hour on it so is now ready to mount in the Lanc. The next motor will be tested and flown in the next week or so. The week ends have been a little wet for the past 3 weeks so the running in program has slowed a little.
I hope to have all motors with about an hour run time on them when I mount the motors. Could not think of anything worse than 4 new engines with no time on them in the air all at the same time.
Yours Paul
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 PM
hack_1979

Hi

I've got an ASM Lanc kit just unboxing at the moment. Pretty sure I'm going the electric route with mine, but the idea of 4 os 4 strokes singing is tempting!

Dan
Old 09-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Quigleywins

I know they will sound good.Dan I feel a little ripped of just right now ,two days after I picked up the last (of Four) they had a big price drop, around $60 Aust thats $240. I will get over it. I have the first one ran in so far.Its a very slow Project. I have around 10 on the go at one time.I just love the mess. Yours Paul T
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 PM
hack_1979

Agree it does take a while, she is a monster but must be done right.

I'm thinking I'll use following power system
Os 5025-490 motor
Os 170HV esc
6s battery 6000mah
15x10 props

I've picked a bigger combo so can run a big prop, keen to have a sort of scale prop dia. Plus extra capacity means less heat.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Quigleywins

One thing I dont like is the 2 bladed spinners. When it happens it will have the 3 blades.That is a must. Yours Paul T

Last edited by Quigleywins; 09-04-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 AM
hack_1979

What wheels are you using Graham/Paul?

i read that Graham could get the 5.5" to fit with packers under the retract. What brand of wheel? And what tail wheel?

I'm trying to figure out how to store batteries in the fuse, suspect ill need a floor under the cockpit.

Dan
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Quigleywins

Just back from Palm Cove this week so I have all I can wear on. Victoria wearher all around us again. As to the wheels I have a set that fit but I got them that long ago I have no memory of where they came from. When I find them I will take a photo and send it.I think that they are 5 inch. Yours Paul T
Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 PM
hack_1979

Things are slowly coming along. Got my first power unit together on test stand to confirm current/power specs. Os gear is nice, very impressed so far.

New stringers are ready to start installing to stiffen fuse. Chose 4mm dowel rods. Battery storage started too, new floor will go in under the cockpit area to house 4 batteries. Cockpit and canopy will be removable.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:14 AM
hack_1979

Been a while since I've posted, but lots done! Almost finished her, have to check cg and setup control throws and then ready to go.

Question for anyone still watching - the wing tubes between the outer wing and inners. I've installed the leading per the manual, but the supplied tubes for the trailing only protrude out approx 180mm. Is this the same for anyone else who has put the wings together?

photo below shows what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	2058648  
Old 11-02-2015, 02:56 PM
super puma
My Feedback: (6)

Hi, just finally had the first flight with my Lancaster here in Norway yesterday, flew great in the moderate gusts above the treetops. A little tail heavy with the gear up, did balance with gear down. Take a look at youtube : http://youtu.be/P_eKLp2S03U
or search " lancaster maiden" from tz50 in youtube.
First I did put 4 Magnum 52 four stroke engines in, but changed to 4 Turnige 46 electric 4 , 4 cell 5000
battery packs.
Hope my friend starts building his ASM B17 soon, we got our kits 4-5 years ago, want to see it in the air.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:52 PM
bladerunner1955
My Feedback: (72)

ELECTRIC GUYS THE ONLY WAY I WOULD FLY THIS BEAUTY WOULD BE ELECTRIC. YOU COULD HAVE 12 MIN FLIGHTS EASY ON 10 CELL SET UPS ON EACH MOTOR, I ACTUALY DID THE MOTOR DESIGN ON THE SPRUCE GOOSE USED IN THE MOVIE ''THE AVIATOR'' SOME YEARS BACK ,THE GOOSE HAD A 25 FOOT WING WEIGHED LIKE 300 POUNDS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVUGpLF4dYg
IM OPEN FOR A PROJECT POSSIBLY
DON
Old 03-17-2017, 09:24 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Anyone have one new in box ???
interested in one please email me

[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.