Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

ORIGINAL: invertmast

ORIGINAL: siclick33

we have horizontal stabs that counter this pitching down moment with downward lift of the stab to keep the plane level.
If a horizontal stab is designed correctly, the pivot should be infront of the center of pressure(lift) which will raise the TE of the stab as it begins flying.
Have you not just contradicted yourself?
The first statement is referring to a conventional Airplane as a whole (wings, fuselage and stabilizers).

The second quoted statement is in reference to a wing (or a horizontal stab when isolated from the entire airplane) as a singular element.

Only if the stab is upside down, surely? Seeing as Falcon 64 is trying to convince us of the importance of gravity verses aerodynamic forces, is it not fairly important to get the forces in the right direction?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raf, I think I need to spend some time on the track to release some frustration.

Anyone know if FEJ is sponsoring Kentucky Jets this year?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

we have horizontal stabs that counter this pitching down moment with downward lift of the stab to keep the plane level.
If a horizontal stab is designed correctly, the pivot should be infront of the center of pressure(lift) which will raise the TE of the stab as it begins flying.
Have you not just contradicted yourself?
The first statement is referring to a conventional Airplane as a whole (wings, fuselage and stabilizers).

The second quoted statement is in reference to a wing (or a horizontal stab when isolated from the entire airplane) as a singular element.

Only if the stab is upside down, surely? Seeing as Falcon 64 is trying to convince us of the importance of gravity verses aerodynamic forces, is it not fairly important to get the forces in the right direction?
If it was a flat bottom airfoil, sure. But since it is symmetrical, it can make lift in either an upward or downward direction, depending in its angle of attack when deflected
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Falcon 64

ORIGINAL: jlmaviation

Ok falcon64 either we have a communication language barrier problem or you truly do not understand the forces exerted on an aircraft. The pivot point to be correct at MAC is critical. The structure that the pivot point mounts to and the surrounding area is critical to be structurally sound to absord the energy that the surface sees throughout the entire flight envelope. You are holding a flight control out a window with no attachment other than your hand. You temporarily solve the problem by statically balancing it and it works in the given speed. Go beyond that speed and apply the true dynamic forces the results will be different.

Bottom line
FEJ does not know how to design any part of the aircraft regarding the MAC
The structure is weak. Like I said with the rigidity of a sponge.

I will not reply to you any further as any type of aerodynamic conversion is moot and results in useless diatribe .
Take a look here what NASA says about MAC.
One of the elements is CG, hmm why..
Send them an email and correct them..

http://www.nasascale.org/howtos/mac-calculator.htm

NASA! Ha - National Association of Scale Modelers... Not the NASA he was thinking it was for sure...

Now if you read some of the papers on flutter from the NASA that he was thinking of, they say that static balancing of surfaces increases the speed at which flutter can occur, but *none* of them say that it will *eliminate* flutter which is what he claims...

A second source:

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

It seems Prof. Niewoehner's input is being overlooked a bit. To paraphrase, he stated that flutter can never be eliminated. So, the design goal is to push the excitation of flutter out to at least 15% above Vne (Never Exceed speed.)
Pounding on the horse - die horsey, die...

Bob

Bob
Old 05-08-2013, 12:21 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

Raf, I think I need to spend some time on the track to release some frustration.

Isin't the guy who runs Kentucky Jets sponsored by FEJ?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:33 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

All this debate about flutter is nice, but there are many more problems with FlyEagle planes, and there have been from the start. Ihave only seen one or two of them fly successfully and land successfully with the gear opening and closing properly. Ihave seen a lot of these planes at the field, but it's almost always someone spending the day fooling with the plane for any number of reasons, almost never flying.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Falcon 64

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

ORIGINAL: jlmaviation

Ok falcon64 either we have a communication language barrier problem or you truly do not understand the forces exerted on an aircraft. The pivot point to be correct at MAC is critical. The structure that the pivot point mounts to and the surrounding area is critical to be structurally sound to absord the energy that the surface sees throughout the entire flight envelope. You are holding a flight control out a window with no attachment other than your hand. You temporarily solve the problem by statically balancing it and it works in the given speed. Go beyond that speed and apply the true dynamic forces the results will be different.

Bottom line
FEJ does not know how to design any part of the aircraft regarding the MAC
The structure is weak. Like I said with the rigidity of a sponge.

I will not reply to you any further as any type of aerodynamic conversion is moot and results in useless diatribe .
Take a look here what NASA says about MAC.
One of the elements is CG, hmm why..
Send them an email and correct them..

http://www.nasascale.org/howtos/mac-calculator.htm

NASA! Ha - National Association of Scale Modelers... Not the NASA he was thinking it was for sure...

Now if you read some of the papers on flutter from the NASA that he was thinking of, they say that static balancing of surfaces increases the speed at which flutter can occur, but *none* of them say that it will *eliminate* flutter which is what he claims...

A second source:

It seems Prof. Niewoehner's input is being overlooked a bit. To paraphrase, he stated that flutter can never be eliminated. So, the design goal is to push the excitation of flutter out to at least 15% above Vne (Never Exceed speed.)
Pounding on the horse - die horsey, die...

Bob

Bob

Ok, a good one, at least a nice try , my bad, didn`t see it

But since we push the limit of flutter ahead of VNE, it`s a healthy thing to do, do you argee?
Ok, not on the Tomcat you say we don`t, I say we do.. We can never agree about that, I know..

If I spare someone for their future greef ( going down caused by flutter), my efforths in this is ok by me. Saving one infact would do..
But I DO hope, those who allready have a Tomcat, takes the small efforth it is to balance their elevators. It`s all you can do..
And every other scale model for that matter.
And those who feel I made enemies for themselves, well I can`t change their mind, whose aren`t my thoughts anyway.
This is just an discussion, but sometimes the glass is topped for many. That is healthy too

pip pip....
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: PhilYabelli

Isin't the guy who runs Kentucky Jets sponsored by FEJ?

Yes, Louis is a Fly Eagle Jets "rep" (and a heck of a nice guy too). I'm not sure how much, if any, he, or anyone else, is "sponsored" by FEJ. He is *wisely* staying out of this. There is little to be gained by anyone outside of Dubd, FEJ, and the dealers involved, getting involved with this until this is resolved, IMHO...

There have been quite a few guys who have had success with some of the FEJ aircraft (although I have yet to see one last more than a few years...). On the other hand, I have no doubt that FEJ is seriously lacking in engineering talent, experience, and testing with respect to jet models. Some of us found that early with very simple models (i.e., the small F-15's, Rafaels, Liberty Jets, etc. they came out with at first), and others, like dubd, found out later with more complex/expensive models.

They are just winging it, and sometimes it works, and sometimes, it (spectacularly, in this case) doesn't. That is part of what is so frustrating...

Their planes do look pretty though...

Bob
Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Dantley

find an 'arrive and drive' for this... wonders for the fun of things again..

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/vodden13.aspx
Old 05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: patf

Dantley

24 hours of LeMONS - "Inexplicably presented by Car and Driver" Now that there is funny! I'll bet its a blast...

Bob
Old 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: patf

Dantley

Thanks for the link! I'm on the hunt for a track car right now and will take it to Thunder Hill.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

why do we need a waiver for jets>> what about the 3d planes>> the flyers stand in the middle of the runway with the pits behind them what happens if it goes bad>>

than the plane falls down the speed of the plane doing 3d is almost zero speed so it crashes on the ground, you are more likely to insure people in the pits with a sport plane traveling at speeds than a plane doing 3d.

Obviously you have don't know much about 3d flying.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess well see since im installing the bottom missile rails and the bottom tanks on mine. I think the rear portion is strong enough, the construction of that area is built just like any other jet i have seen. The only way to improve the area would be to connect the rear stab bulkheads to the front bulkheads in the turbine bay with ply but this would add to much weight to any jet.

ORIGINAL: FenderBean
...sorry dead horse just trying to take peoples thoughts and get them strait.
Keith, you are not beating a dead horse here at all, and getting your mind around this is wise.

Therein lies the rub for us: What is Vne? Unless the airplane has been computer desgined and modeled (i.e. B-777), or extensively wind-tunnel and flight tested, how are we with ''rc'' jets to know? Since these processes would be prohibitively expensive and time-consuming, most likely a reputable manufacturer will err on the safe side, overbuild the kit, then wring the dadgum thing out above and beyond what might be reasonably expected, and see if the jet comes from together to apart.

Or, they can simply build the kit, tout the merits of the construction materials and methods, give it a hot paint job, and leave it to the buyer to play test pilot.

Now, the F-14 derives a significant amount of lift during manuvering from the airfoil-like shape of the wide, somewhat flat, fuselage. When missles were mounted in the ''tunnel'', the degradation in turning performance was noticeable as compared to a similarly loaded (and gross weight) jet with the missiles mounted on the shoulder stations.

So, once again I am proposing another scenario: It is entirely possible that given the questionable construction methods the FEJ, over the course of several flights the turbulent airflow created by the fuselage and upper intake lips during high AOA manuvering impinging on the vertical tails, coupled with stab loads in pitch and roll, could have been causing a progressive weakening of the aft fuselage structure. I just don't see how FEJ's construction technique is up to handling the longitudinal and torsion loads placed on the aft fuselage.

As BOTH elevators were ''pumping'', what we saw/interpreted as elevator flutter, which I am not ruling out, may have been simply the elvators being moved by the failing and shifting aft fuselage structure and servo mounts. But, since BOTH elevators seem to be ''fluttering'' in unison, it does have me thinking of a resultant effect, not a causal one.

I realize this won't help you solve the flutter question, Keith. But I think there are bigger problems in play - the airworthiness of the airframe itself.

Sluggo

P.S. Yeah, there are some here...
I doubt there is a degree in aerodynamics here in this thread....
Old 05-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Falcon 64

I said wether I`m wrong or right.
Here is a reply I just got on email from Vladislav:

Vlad EFROS
00:37 (for 8 minutter siden)

til meg
engelsk
norsk Oversett e-posten
Slå av for: engelsk
Hei,

I had a look at the forum. I tried to read some aerodynamics and think about the problem. One of my conclusions is that the speed is a main factor. There is a relation between lift and weight when an unbalanced tail will not oscillate. This is because at certain angle and velocity lift will balance the weight for a higher velocity we will get oscillations. This can be a critical velocity a solution is to balance the tail. What happens if we increase the velocity more?
For NACA0009 the Cm at 1/4 chord is zero for at least +/-6 degree and the same is for Cm at aerodynamic center this mean that the tail should not oscillate if we increase the velocity.
It should be nice if you can test you profile at different velocities not just one.
There is one point of view which is right when we talk about flutter we think about the interaction between aerodynamic forces and elastic forces plus inertial forces.
Flutter= a dynamic instability occurring in an aircraft in flight at a speed called the flutter speed, where the elasticity of the structure plays an essential part in the instability=Aeroelasticity, R L Bisplinghoff.
In the same book is mentioned the concept of mass balancing wings and tails for flutter prevention in the same way that this is regularly done to control surfaces.
From the Martin Simons Model aircraft aerodynamics:
If the torsional axis of the wing, i.e. the line around which the outer panels twist, lies ahead of the wing's center of gravity, flutter is sure to occur at some speed. The stiffening should be added to he leading edge, usually in the form of sheet balsa covering and vertical spar webbing, to produce a D-shaped torsion tube. The extra weight added near the leading edge also helps to bring the center of gravity nearer to the torsional hinge line-this is an effect a partial mass balance. Other forms stiffening such as diagonal ribs or by twin twin spars with diagonal strutting internally between the spars a re less effective because they do not move the center of gravity of the structural members forward.
It is the mass of the control surface itself that is primarily responsible for the flutter and it follows that if the mass can be reduced, flutter is less likely. However, if the control can be balanced so that its center of mass, or center of gravity, is ahead of the hinge line, the inertia of the balanced surface will prevent flutter altogether.

Conclusion: mass balancing help to prevent flutter.

This is what I think or what I found so far.Flutter is a part of aeroelasticity which is quite heavy and I need more time for it.
I'll leave tomorrow to Sweden and I'll be back on 19.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

So static balancing wont eliminate flutter, just prolong it from happening. Assuming that the point wherre lift and weight equalize is below the max speed the model operates at.

Sounds allot like what everyone has been saying all along. That static mass balancing doesnt eliminate it, it only helps to prolong it to a higher speed.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

I think the rear portion is strong enough, the construction of that area is built just like any other jet i have seen.
As I've never seen or examined an FEJ F-14 first-hand, you would certainly know more about this than I. All I can do is offer an educated guess based on what I, and others, have observed here in video and pictures.

Good luck. I hope your assumption is correct.

Sluggo
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Im not saying it would not do what dubds with extreme flutter but under normal flight conditions. [&:]

I think the rear portion is strong enough, the construction of that area is built just like any other jet i have seen.
As I've never seen or examined an FEJ F-14 first-hand, you would certainly know more about this than I. All I can do is offer an educated guess based on what I, and others, have observed here in video and pictures.

Good luck. I hope your assumption is correct.

Sluggo
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM
jlmaviation
My Feedback: (54)

Read the reply carefully -elasticity of the structure Like I said before the airframe has the structural integrity of a sponge. Elasticity = degrees of stuctural stiffness
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 PM
jlmaviation
My Feedback: (54)

Here is the sneak peak of Fly Eagles' new Static Balance Structural Torsion Durability Test

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66187.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1880361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52545.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1880362  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 AM
koolaid535

Raf,
bring the lambo to laguna Seca, and come and grab me, i live 5 minutes away,

Manny
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM
dubd

I deservingly got a lot of crap for saying I am thinking about getting out. I'm not going to let my enthusiasm for rc jets be faltered by FEJ and their reps. This is how I move on... by finishing my Skymaster A-10.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Nice warthog!!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

yeahhh!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Shaun Evans

However, if the control can be balanced so that its center of mass, or center of gravity, is ahead of the hinge line, the inertia of the balanced surface will prevent flutter altogether.

Conclusion: mass balancing help to prevent flutter.

This is what I think or what I found so far.Flutter is a part of aeroelasticity which is quite heavy and I need more time for it.
I'll leave tomorrow to Sweden and I'll be back on 19.

Dear Falcon,

How exactly does one put the center of gravity and/or the center of mass "ahead of the hinge line" on a full-flying stab?

The type of mass-balancing referred to there is like that which is done on MANY (if not most) hinged control surfaces like ailerons and elevators. We're talking full-flying stabs here, so let's not let the truth get lost in translation.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM
crashgoodly

what a lovely way to burn kero. nice to see the thick skin of the modeller coming through.

I deservingly got a lot of crap for saying I am thinking about getting out. I'm not going to let my enthusiasm for rc jets be faltered by FEJ and their reps. This is how I move on... by finishing my Skymaster A-10.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.