Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Edwards 5 Cylinder Radial Engine

Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edwards 5 Cylinder Radial Engine

Looking for some information. We (3 of us) will be embarking on a little project in the future. One of us is donating a Edwards 5 Cyl. radial (NIB w/CH ignition), one will own, build, paint, fly the model, and the other will fill in with engineering, building equipment, canopy making equipment, etc. The airframe proposed is a OS2U Kingfisher. My questions are:

1. What size/scale would the Kingfisher need to be for a good PTW ratio?
2. How good is this engine? (any feed back would be great)
3. The CH Ignition, will it be OK with 2.4mhz, any interference issues?
4. No, the engine is not for sale! LOL (I know it's not a question but I felt I would pass this on already for the engine's owner)
5. Anything else we should know for this combo?

General statements: We intend on blowing up a set of Charlie Smith .60 size Kingfisher plans for the airframe. I have built a Brian Taylor OS2U and adapted the Charlie Smith designed floats to it. My plane flies beautifully and the float setup is perfect on the water. We are all accomplished builders and pilots with each having specialty skills in different areas. This project probably won't start for 1.5-2yr as there are other airframes on the board but we are going to start messing with the engine soon to make sure it is a viable project.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ted, Gerry, & Ned
Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Edwards 5 Cylinder Radial Engine

Q2. and maybe 1 & 3.

Check out the R & R engines group on Yahoo http://groups.yahoo.com/group/R_and_R_engines/

There has been a number of post about that engine. There is a complete set of blueprints in the files section of that group as well as photos in that section. The engine was designed as a glow engine, so that may be and option for you if you are concerned about ignition noise.

As to how good that engine is, as it is a home made engine, it really depends on the guy that made it, and his choice of materials. Most are made as running display models. The guys in the Yahoo Group above that have made the engine can give you a better idea as to the chance of success with your plan. The time spent making one of these engines, sever hundred hours in most cases, generally prevents the builder from commiting one to an air frame and flying it. If it was built by a good machinest, then it is probably as good an engine as any comerical one, maybe better.

Ilook forward to progress reports on this project.

Don
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Heres a place to start.http://www.flickr.com/photos/1579423...7603556449257/
If you have an engine then scaling things should be easy
TKG
While your at it check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/1579423...7602936593835/
The Snipe has never flown, but the engine was flown in a Giant sized Antic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSYp1jFz6_E

ORIGINAL: chistech

General statements: We intend on blowing up a set of Charlie Smith .60 size Kingfisher plans for the airframe. I have built a Brian Taylor OS2U and adapted the Charlie Smith designed floats to it. My plane flies beautifully and the float setup is perfect on the water. We are all accomplished builders and pilots with each having specialty skills in different areas. This project probably won't start for 1.5-2yr as there are other airframes on the board but we are going to start messing with the engine soon to make sure it is a viable project.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ted, Gerry, & Ned
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think that you need to bench run the engine some and measure its power output and as to what size propeller you used et cetera. Also the engine's weight as well. You can feed the RPMS and propeller size into one of several calculator programs to determine its power output, static thrust, projected airspeed, and so on.mvvs.nl has a excellent spreadsheet prgram for doing that too.The problem is that some of these radial engines don't develop enough useable power to actually fly them, other radials tend to be marginal, and of course some radials do really well flying model airplanes.

CH Ignition modules are quite good. They do not interfere with 2.4ghz equipment and usually work well with older FM equipment too.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 PM
chistech

Thanks for the quick info. I believe this engine was made by Mr. Edwards himself and not by a home machinist. I am getting more info from the engine owner and we will bench run it soon. This engine is designed to run on white gas I was told. More to come.

Ted