Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

Dte light for oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dte light for oil ?

Bart, use what you like, my announcement does not mean we will not warrant the engine should it have a bearing or other failure, however it would be at our discretion upon inspection. This is simple because we will be able to see the presence of oil and its condition. Even in the case that the evidence showed lack of oil, we will then scrutinize whether there's a clog or possibly an earlier engine design flaw, in which case we gave the customer a full report and upgraded the engine at no charge. Bottom line, we are interested in solving problem then charging customer for bearings or selling oil.

Regarding your concerns of our additives and/or blends, they are proprietarily formulated for our purpose with all Shell products and entirely compatible with the base oil and makes it the cleanest burning and best lubing of KT engines, this observation came from our service tech Dirk Flejter with numerous cases to support. However because of much requests, we have now made our oil dye free. Unfortunately I couldn't offer our oil to Australia.

While we are on the subject of oil, there's a chance that we may also disapprove another oil, ironically a very popular shell product, Aeroshell 500. Dirk discovered numerous cases with coking problem in KT engines.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Aussie Bart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your comments Barry, as I pointed out it just seems to be a confusing message.

Shell Tellus 32 is a standard hydraulic oil available (and one of the cheapest) all over the world, there are no special additives blended in it for "Miniature Gas Turbine" use, if what you use is particularly blended for KT then it would no longer be called Tellus 32!. Heck I stock it and sell it for $ 5.10 AUD + gst per litre, it would certainly reduce my flying cost considerably if I could just take it off the shelf instead of paying $ 18 a litre for Mobil Jet II.

Can you please clarify then that KT now endorses the use of Tellus 32 in our KT engines in place of other lubricants?

Your thoughts on Aeroshell would almost seem alarmist! Like Mobil Jet II it is has been used for very many years on just about every other MGT brand with what would have to be thousands upon thousands of hours on it, even in KT engines. I don't deny that you may see an increase of coking in the KT engines but I would question how you can claim that a standard Hydraulic Oil (Tellus 32) is the answer when you have not seen it run past 25hrs?? Are you saying that you are seeing evidence of Aeroshell coking in KT engines before 25 hrs??
KT engines have enjoyed a reputation for being robust and user friendly with the ability to run kero or diesel, motorbike 2 stroke oil, outboard 2 stroke oil, Mobil Jet II, Aeroshell, BP and reportedly just about anything else. This new direction seems to be taking you down the road of the other manufacturers with strict rules and a question mark on warranty.<o></o>

I apologize if I have ruffled your feathers on this, I have enjoyed many years of service from my KT and from a reliability and performance standpoint it is has never let me down and is certainly on par with my Jetcats, I just struggle at the clear and obvious technical delusions that were/are presented.<o></o>

There is simply no technical reason or argument that can be put forward that Shell Tellus 32 is any better than Mobil DTE light. You have quoted Phil in saying that there are potential issues in KT and others when using DTE Light, again Phil knows his stuff, but has Phil endorsed Tellus 32 in its place?

ORIGINAL: marquisvns

Of course not, as I probably have to disagree. Mobile DTE's Shell equivalent would have to be the S1M32 or AW32 at best. The Tellus line has a different set of specifications that suites our purpose of lubricating KingTech engines better, especially with thermal stabilizer, anti corrosion agent and anti stat..... and much more that we have in it. Most importantly, it is proven, we have our engines running with this oil for more than the specified 25 hours and bearings still looked very good.

Regards,
Barry
ORIGINAL: marquisvns

Bart, use what you like, my announcement does not mean we will not warrant the engine should it have a bearing or other failure, however it would be at our discretion upon inspection. This is simple because we will be able to see the presence of oil and its condition. Even in the case that the evidence showed lack of oil, we will then scrutinize whether there's a clog or possibly an earlier engine design flaw, in which case we gave the customer a full report and upgraded the engine at no charge. Bottom line, we are interested in solving problem then charging customer for bearings or selling oil.

Regarding your concerns of our additives and/or blends, they are proprietarily formulated for our purpose with all Shell products and entirely compatible with the base oil and makes it the cleanest burning and best lubing of KT engines, this observation came from our service tech Dirk Flejter with numerous cases to support. However because of much requests, we have now made our oil dye free. Unfortunately I couldn't offer our oil to Australia.

While we are on the subject of oil, there's a chance that we may also disapprove another oil, ironically a very popular shell product, Aeroshell 500. Dirk discovered numerous cases with coking problem in KT engines.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 PM
marquisvns

Bart, I can't help you if you refuse to accept the fact that we have our own proprietary blend of oil that has a proven performance. We clearly state on the label "with Tellus 32" that means it is composed of more than just Tellus 32. There's no sense to argue with you about your disparagement on Tellus 32 being the cheapest..., when it isn't here in the US, regardless, I don't believe price is the issue here. Nor would I argue with you of your believe of the difference or similarities between Tellus 32 and DTE or Aero shell.

However, it is our diligence to announce when an oil is in question especially issues have been reported, rest is up to you, the users, simply because we have no control on how you operate. Nor are we saying we will void warranty on any particular oil at this point mainly because we don't have enough data to support one way or the other as of yet, but I believe we have the obligation to announce to caution a possible compatibility issue with any product.

As with your track record of Aero Shell 500 may apply to brand X, but it is our experience and records to prove otherwise with our engines. I would have to believe that there are fundamental differences between KingTech and brand X.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Oops
Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 AM
philjac94

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mavrick

Regarding DTE Lite.
I have 4 Kingtech turbines a k80 E 100G 140F and a 170F I don't know where Doctor Phil is getting his information from but I can asure you that it is incorrect so far I have put over 500 Lts of fuel through my Turbines and they are still running as good as the day I received them they have been back to the factory for there health checks and I am sure Wen-Fu would have bought it to my attention if there was a problem. As you can see I also live in Australia and know most of the jet guys here and so far I have not heard A WORD against DTE and I speak to jet guys right across the country. I was aproached sever years ago by Doc Phil wanting to service my turbines and told him that there was only one place my engines were going and that was back to the factory. As Barry has stated before when they go back to the factory they can check on the condition of all the hot stuff and if something needs addressng to rectify a problem they are the in the best place to do it.
I have just been made aware of this thread and thought I best reply and clear up a few things.

Firstly Maverick, not sure wether or not your trying to be funny or just trying your best to initiate ridicule but I have never heard or addressed the name Dr Phil before.
Secondly Maverick, who are you? By your username you live 5000km away from me , to say that I asked or wanted to service your engines is presumptuous of you and part of your imagination. The fact that you try and credit yourself with 500L of fuel burnt through your reletively newly released 3 from 4 Kingtech engines makes me wonder if in fact we have ever met at all, Its even funnier to think that I would ask to service something several years ago that hasnt been released at the time of our apparent meeting.
Thirdly DTE Oil. If you were to go back to Barry's post you should read that I said that the warning was for mixing Synthetic Oils with DTE oils as the two do not mix and will form a sludge when left in contact with each other and this sludge is what will damage your engine. No if's or but's about it.
As for the bearing issues seen at the time of that conversation with Barry I do not know if they were attributed to the owners transition from Turbine oil to DTE
But they did suffer from an oil starved and overheated condition. Perhaps a coincidence but unlikely.
Since that period I have not seen anymore incidents with DTE. I use it in all my engines and so do pretty much all my customers.
Lastly I resent you trying to discredit me. You do not know me regardless of you stating you are in regular contact with jet flyers across Australia we must travel in different jet circles becsuse the guys I know dont know you either.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 AM
bjnginge

Be cool everyone.... life is too short

I must admit I'm even more confused, now Barry states that the kingtech oil is the superior oil and mineral based and is what is recomended even though it is not available in australia.

Can i get any advice from anyone in taiwan ?

I am only new to the jet community and your input has been invaluable,especially the down to earth help from our local modelers.
As far as i can tell it is ok in australia to run DTE as long as we clean our tanks out. DTE is what i will be using as the health and economic concerns are relevant (cancer vs no cancer $6 per litre vs $20 per litre)

Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Just to clear up a few things, my first turbine was a K80 (second in Australia)now about 4 years old 48 some thing hours run time it was roughly 3 years ago that I was contacted by YOU on the phone wanting to service my engine, I told you at the time that I would only be sending them back to the factory for servicing my second was a K170 F then a K140 F and I also now have a 100 G. I have just emptyed my 3rd 20 ltr container of DTE light mixed at 4% you do the maths. end of story!!!
Cheers
Mav
(perhaps your circle of freinds is not that large)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM
philjac94

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mavrick

Just to clear up a few things, my first turbine was a K80 (second in Australia)now about 4 years old 48 some thing hours run time it was roughly 3 years ago that I was contacted by YOU on the phone wanting to service my engine, I told you at the time that I would only be sending them back to the factory for servicing my second was a K170 F then a K140 F and I also now have a 100 G. I have just emptyed my 3rd 20 ltr container of DTE light mixed at 4% you do the maths. end of story!!!
Cheers
Mav
(perhaps your circle of freinds is not that large)
Now I really know you are a funny guy.
How on earth and why would I cold call someone 5000km away just to service a K80 engine. I think you are overestimating your own importance.

Buy the way you really need to brush up on your own maths 60 lites of DTE makes +1500L of fuel. Oops!!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 AM
ernie3873

Gday I have been using dte light in all my turbines 4 of them are kingtech. I have used about 40 litres of oil no problems so far. I have mixed it with mobil jet oil 2 in a blend with jeta1 and put it in a jar last year and it still looks perfectly blended. I have little technical knowledge but this is what I found hope it helps.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 AM
number27

I also have used over 40 litres of DTE light in my k140f and now 170G with no problems and also running diesel. Smokey the Diesel Turbine
Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Hawk21
My Feedback: (7)

Can you use 2 stroke synthetic oil with the kingtech turbines?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
marquisvns

No, and please refer to below link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/king...-bearings.html

Regards,
Barry
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
kmrcjets

hello all and happy new year.
just sent a K170F back to the factory for new bearings 4HR run time. was run
on two stroke oil which makes for costly flights. customer is switching to
kingtech oil when it gets back also looks like he has wrecked the starter as well
trying to turn the engine over
regards
ken
kingtech oz