Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Turnigy 30cc Gas engine Please post here what your personal experience has been with these engines.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Turnigy 30cc Gas engine Please post here what your personal experience has been with these engines.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy 30cc Gas engine Please post here what your personal experience has been with these engines.

Turnigy 30cc Gas engines, Please post here what your personal experience has been with these engines.

I am getting these engines sent to my shop for repairs and some of them have not been run for more than a few seconds at best, if they were run at all.

In am asking buyers to post their experience with them here. Please no bashing just list your facts.

Thanks to everyone.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 AM
yearnin to Fly

Default RE: Turnigy 30cc Gas engine Please post here what your personal experience has been with these engines.

Well after working on one of these 30cc turnigy engines, I have learned alot.
1) There is NO WAY to get PARTS for them.
2) Where the 2 halves of the crank case go together, they are heavily groved so it is almost impossible to seal them together.

There is alot more but I am going to just let the buyers who buy these engines find out the rest on their own. And it will NOT BE GOOD.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 AM
ptrc

Default RE: Turnigy 30cc Gas engine Please post here what your personal experience has been with these engines.

brand new one of therse. simply no compression and will not run.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what it's called because I have not purchased it in a long time but Yamaha makes a gray sealant to use with no gasket when you split the case a a 2 stroke dirt bike or 4 wheeler. Good stuff!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
AJsToyz

Not sure what it's called because I have not purchased it in a long time but Yamaha makes a gray sealant to use with no gasket when you split the case a a 2 stroke dirt bike or 4 wheeler. Good stuff!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: ptrc

brand new one of therse. simply no compression and will not run.
It does not suprise me to hear of more issues with this name brand of engine. I am sorry for the problems you are having. I have serviced some of them and had several problems. If you want give me a call and I will try to help you in any way I can.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

DLE's have the same type of case....DLE uses epoxy or some other hard thermoset plastic. I used a very thin bead of epoxy in mine when I put it back together and the engine works as designed without leaks. The epoxy goes over oiled parts so it will not be a problem separating the two if I had to
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yamabond
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM
capnduane

I have three of the Turnigy 30cc engines. I bought them all new. First one is in a Sea Gull Gee Bee Z. Starts and runs great. The mounting holes in the muffler needed to be enlarged slightly. I have 25+ flights with no issues. Second one is in a CMP AT6. Also starts and runs fine. It was hard to get started when new, it was very tight. After breakin as specified in the manual, it works good. The third one is still NIB, and it will go in a 88in Monocoupe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67341.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1757119  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
[email protected]

hi i am having a lot of trouble with this engine!i cant get it started i checked to see if there is a sealed bearing in and there is i cleaned out all the silicone by the carb tried 87 and 91 octane gas! changed out the carb with one from a 26cc engine that did worked very good played around with the high and low needles and tried to spray quick start in carb and only got a small fire from it but doesn't wanna turn of a second time. i feel that the compression is maybe al little bit low if i compare it to my rcg 26cc please help me i am fed up with this engine and think shooting my self in the leg would be more fun than to struggle 1 more min with this engine!!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 AM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

hi i am having a lot of trouble with this engine!i cant get it started i checked to see if there is a sealed bearing in and there is i cleaned out all the silicone by the carb tried 87 and 91 octane gas! changed out the carb with one from a 26cc engine that did worked very good played around with the high and low needles and tried to spray quick start in carb and only got a small fire from it but doesn't wanna turn of a second time. i feel that the compression is maybe al little bit low if i compare it to my rcg 26cc please help me i am fed up with this engine and think shooting my self in the leg would be more fun than to struggle 1 more min with this engine!!!!!
Send me a pm, or give me a call and I will gladly help you in any way I can.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM
capnduane

Have mounted the Turnigy 30 in the Monocoupe, and it was real tight, like the last one. Took 24 volts with my Sullivan starter to turn the sucker over and fire it up. Have run 2 tanks of 30-1 mix thru it and it is loosening up and running good, idle is almost there, ready for the maiden flight soon. Looks like I got lucky 3 times with these engines. I can see where getting one of these running would be tough for those unfamiliar with 2 stroke gas engines. You could flip these by hand till the cows come home, when new, and never get one to run! I have been fooling with 2 strokes all my life, starting when I was 15yrs old, with my Dads Mculloch chain saws in his firewood buisness. Then many saws of my own, as a carpenter, and working on my motorcycles when I used to Desert race. These little motors are very simple, low tech. I consider them a great bargain, and don't mind fooling with them a bit to make them work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99589.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1760604  
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM
raddies

I have a TGY 30cc about 3 years old, not Black Head, DLE look alike, and have just run it in preparation to fitting it to a new aircraft. It will idle around 1600rpm but tops out at around 4600rpm and vibrates badly. This is with a new and balanced 18x8 prop. A full strip down maybe required to check internals or it's for the tip.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Checklst

First I would check the trimming.........................second even my DLE30 took a long time drawing fuel the first time.....I used a starter, or my arm would have fallen off.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 AM
raddies

Used a starter, starts ok but won't rev above 4600 with a 18x8 prop, should be around 7500rpm. I really think I have bought a load of junk.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Checklst

ORIGINAL: raddies

Used a starter, starts ok but won't rev above 4600 with a 18x8 prop, should be around 7500rpm. I really think I have bought a load of junk.
I would defiantly throw a timing wheel on that bad boy.......set it to 28 degree ......set the needles back to factory and change the plug to anything but the one that came from China, NKG is my preference........then adjust the needles to see what she can do. Peak the top end back off a 100rpm the get a good fast transition off idle. I never pay much attention to the Factory claimed peak numbers..........but my experience says 6500 or above would be a good start to break her in. I did not tach my DLE 30 but I know she not hitting 7500, but she has plenty of power where I have her tuned.

Good luck

Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: raddies

I really think I have bought a load of junk.
I won't argue with you there, perhaps you could give it to the person in your club you hate the most?

First throw the supplied plug away and get a ngk cm6
Otherwise I would check the fuel flow, tank clunk clogged?, fuellines kinked? Carb filter screen clogged?
Failing that you could swap the carb if you have a spare or could borrow one to test.

I personally would put it down to experience and buy a DLE
Old 05-10-2013, 06:09 PM
AlexL
My Feedback: (4)

I find it really funny that you advised people to give the engine to the club member you hated the most.

I didn't have such luck but I did buy it off a fellow club member whom received the Turnigy 30cc last month, took me a while to get it set up running right but now it is running good.

Alex
Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

They call it Yamabond.
BC
Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that the XYZ engines are the same as the Turnigy ones. I think XYZ made the engines as well. With Turnigy being maybe a older model or a surplus sell off or something. But usually you can get the XYZ engine parts to fit OK. I know the crankcase for the Turnigy 26cc matches one from a XYZ engine and the XYZ version has stronger mounting ears too. So that might be worth checking if you need something. I do have a 30cc Turnigy engine and a 26cc version too, but I haven't done anything with the 30cc one yet.

One thing is to make sure that the firewall to the engine mounting ears is even and level. What I did was make a aluminum mounting plate to ensure the standoffs and mounting ears stay even. Wood tends to compress differently and stresses the mounting ears and then one or two will crack and break off on you. But this happens with all of the engines, so it is good to ensure the least stress or strain on the mounting ears. Also make sure the standoffs are all the same length and not off from each other. Every once in a while you might get a slightly shorter or longer standoff.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
mranga
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: AlexL

I find it really funny that you advised people to give the engine to the club member you hated the most.

I didn't have such luck but I did buy it off a fellow club member whom received the Turnigy 30cc last month, took a look at it and googled all the negative feedbacks on this engine (we are talking about a typical case of putting the cart infront the horses, lol), and decided no way he was going to spend the time and energy fooling around with this thing

Anyway, he sold it to this idiot - I got nothing better to do anyways, and besides, I got it for a song.

Spent the last 3 days trying to get the sucker going.

This engine writes the book on poor quality contorl. Indeed, when I first got it, I was kind of shock by how rough the engine turned.
The bearings do not have sufficient clearance for press fit bearings. They are good quality bearings (NSK). To get them out, you have to dis-assemble the engine. The shaft is on there really tight. Use two nuts to unscrew. Then use a gear puller to push the bearing out. Replace with shielded bearings I usedKoyo 6001ZZC3 shielded bearings. (The C3 indicates extra clearance). I could not get the rear bearings out.

The rough edges of piston skirt cutting into the cylinder wall, and metal shavings coming off the combution chamber as I tried to flush the metal shavings with engine cleaning fluid, etc.
I did not have this particular issue. However, the pulse port groove (channel) was too small and I had to grind to deepen it.

No, this is not a complain but just wanted to share my experience handling this engine.

Anyway, built a test stand for it, fueled with 32:1 oil. The piston/cylinder relation was very poorly mated, and worse of all, absolutely no compression of what so ever.

You can try to hand start it until the cows come home, the only thing you gained is a sore arm/shoulder.
It is the Chinese strategy to make us a strong armed nation.

Out came the starter and cranked it until the lipo pack (5 cells) went up in smoke and no cigar.

Anyway, checked spark and realized that the spark tip was actually being banged against by the top of the piston as it travelled TOC, no big deal, a shimmer/washer was made to fit the 7mm spark plug which does produce hefty spark.

Then discovered no fuel draw even though the feedline showed gas was reaching the fuel nipple. I had to actually pouring primer gas ithrough the spark plug opening thinking that once the engine popped, the carb might start to funciton, worng again.

Disassembled the carb, full of the black rubber sealer which is blocking the pressure passage; from the crank case, to the carb block, through the half circle cut out, all plugged. The sealent actually got into the carb inside too. Looks like someone just smeared the sealent onto the whole thing without realizing what he was doing, why he was doing it, and worse of all, no clue of how the engine works.
I had this experience as well.

Disassembled the whole carb, discarded the sealent/insulation and used genuine Walbro gasket compund, soaked the diaghram with gas (bone dry).

I guess given any other person except a few die-hards like me, the engine would have been on its next flight to HK for warranty repair, or a full rufund if they operate like any respectable business.
Enjoy the challenge! It is part of the journey. I did get it started finally. It idles low but the high end is not too satisfactory. I am getting replacement rings to see if that improves the situation. Par for the course. It's only a Hobby.

The engine is an overbore 25cc engine ( the advertised cylinder size is the original bore size). Fine by me but they've done a poor job in re-engineering it and an even worse job in manufacturing QA. Case in point - the pulse port channel is not deep enough, wrong clearance on the bearing etc. So there's manufacturing problems with gasket sealant as well but these are easy to catch.

How could they sell things like this. I mean all they have to do is to spend may be another 15 bucks for quality control, and train the workers on quality concept, and they would have improved the engine by 100 folds, and could have a winner on hands, no, they couldn't see it that way.

Anyway, the point is the engine runs now, it may even be on a plane if it proves any potential. The only thing decent out of the whole package is the ignition module which I believe, might be an RCEXL, oh yes, the spark plug is OK too. btw, the factory set timing is not far off.

Lesson learnt, stay with name brands, no more this kind of el-cheapo for this cow boy any more, I think I do get my money's worth on this one though.

So you've been duely informed.

Alex
Old 05-15-2013, 01:57 AM
raddies

I checked the timing on my TGY 30cc and it was out 18degs and this could not be altered as the screw holes that would allow the hall sensor to be moved were drilled in the wrong position. Re- drilling was contemplated but I took the easier option and bought a DLE30, very happy with it, on sold the TGY.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:43 PM
hobbyaire
My Feedback: (1)

Default Not Walbro carb - almost no compression - not runnable

1) the ad says a with a genuine “Japanese” Walbro carburetor .. Walbro carbs are made in Mexico, not Japan .. the engine did not come with a Walbro, but some knock-off unknown.
2) the engine had extremely poor compression and would not start.
3) tried 4 different known good (Walbro and Zama), carbs .. BTW, the ignition does have spark .. engine would not start.