Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What's the best Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 AM
oldbassard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best Gasoline

Hey Gang

A short time ago, I posted about gasoline, specifically leaded 110octane racing gasoline. One of the members here argued that it's made in bulk and he took a stand with 100LL avation gas.

I talked to a man who has worked the last 30 years in a refinery, about gasoline production. He said "It's all made in bulk, with all the small aircraft that burn 100LL you see every day, it would never be possible to make it otherwise"

He also said, whether it is oils, gasolines or whatever petroleum products the products are made by thecompanies specifications, for instance atthe refinery he works at they can motor oile for Penzoil, Quaker State Valvoline and many other oil company namesby thier specs, the same goes for gasoline.

Some companies for instance Qiuk Trip has thier own gasoline specs (QT adds alcohol). While other companies don't sell the alcohol supprted gasolines. 100 LL gasoline has it's ownspecs as does 110 octane racing gasoline and all of it is produced in bulk.

I have read that leaded gasolineis particularly good for two stroke engines because the "Lead" lubricates the cylinder and makes the engine run cooler. Well I don't know about that, I can't prove nor disprove it, I do know that I will use the higher content leaded racing fuel in my airplane. I am quite sure the 100 LL is great gasoline but I choose racing gasoline.

What I am told is what we call lead in gasoline isn't lead at all nor does it have anything to do with lead.

Somegreat advantages that you get with either 100LL or 110 Octane racing gasoline iseasier enginestarts, better performance and I am told longer engine life.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What's the best Gasoline

The lead in leaded aviation gas is tetraethyl lead. It effectively raises the octane allowing higher compression ratios without knocking. It also cuts down the erosion of the valve seats in an engine. Automotive engines have had hardened valve seats for years to take care of the lack of lead in gas. As for our model engines, they run just fine on 85-87 octane fuel because of low compression ratios and other design features. There are no valve seats to lubricate.
The lead in gas will foul the plug causing lead whiskers on the electrode. No one has ever claimed our engines will run cooler on higher octane fuel, if anything the opposite is true.
The ethanol in gas is put in to raise the octane instead of lead and contrary to many claims I have never seen any problems with using the gas here in Colorado which has had ethanol in it for many years. I have used both pure gas and gas with ethanol in my engines. Other than a slight difference in fuel consumption I have had none of the problems others claim to have had with ethanol added fuel. My fuel lines don't harden early, my diaphragms don't harden early, my engines don't suffer from anything other than occasional impact with the ground! The only advantage to using aviation gas is the smell. Our engines will run on Coleman fuel which has an octane of around 50 so I don't see spending the big bucks for aviation fuel.
Larry
Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just use the regular pump gasoline from my local gas station. Usually it is Chevron, but I doubt that make any difference. It has some ethanol in it and it has something of a butane or propane like odor to it as well.  Anyway it works for me. Now I have had to replace the diaphragms in the Walbro carbs on some cheap Chinese made engines, but isn't a big deal.   But the gasolines being sold vary by region and locale as well, so I don't know if gasolines from other areas would work as well or not for others.

I think the better gasoline would be the gasoline they use in the Pre-Mix quarts (40:1 and 50:1) that  they sell at many stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, and so on. That gasoline is a more simple formulation and doesn't have a strong odor to it and has a long shelf life. Now it is more expensive but it works really well in the model gas engines. For some of my engines I ad more oil to bring it up the the fuel to oil ratio suggested by the engine manufacturer. VP-Racing I believe also sells it in 4 gallon container sizes too. But this special pre-mix gasoline works well with the stock diaphragms in the cheap Chinese engines without causing them to go bad so fast.  Some larger hobby shops also sell the stuff too.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use AV gas. It has almost no stench compared to highway gas. I use Sunoco VP sometimes also...similar smell.  Highway pump gas literally stinks !
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I just use straight (NO ethanol) gasoline which is readily available in my area at numerous locations. Phillips/Conoco, Shell and Sinclair mostly. I have never seen "real gas" as some refer to it at any Quick Trip however.

Dan
Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Higher octane will REDUCE power unless the engine requires it due to high compression or other factors.

110 octane race fuel killed my 6-0' time in my '06 Charger & it was running 10.4:1 CR.

Octane merely raises the flash point & to some extent slows down the burn.

It will make LESS power in the average engine.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:25 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best gas is pure gas. Just google it & you can find out where they sell it in your area. Link below.

http://pure-gas.org/
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Higher octane will REDUCE power unless the engine requires it due to high compression or other factors.

110 octane race fuel killed my 6-0' time in my '06 Charger & it was running 10.4:1 CR.

Nonsense

Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 AM
oldbassard

One reason I started this post, is through everyones opinions and expierences you learn. One person siad high octane slowed his 06 Charger down, another disagreed with that statement. Well I can see both sides of that. The older 60's and 70's cars would have performed better on higher octane, BUT the new cars have those evil lil computers in them which will mess with the oxygen and computer settings when you changetypes of gasoline. So I can believe it did slow his cardown.

One person said he could runhiswith Coleman fuel.It I am sure will run on it BUT with the low octane level, I can't see howit could be a good performance fuel or how easy it would be to start. BUT at anyrate, I wantto try it and just see what it does.

I have tested pump gasoline against 110 leaded racing fuel in two stroke engines I did used to race two strokemurdercycles and also ran a stock classNHRA drag car so I have seen the differances in theway engines perform with the higheroctane fuel. I tried it in a chain saw, the torque , engine start and just the waythe engine sounded you could tell, the engine REALLY liked the leaded racing gas. I have also seen the differance in the way the two stroke racing bikes perform on it. After all, a 2 stroke engine is a two stroke engine. Whether it be on an rc or what ever.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Splitting hairs.....

Any more I refuse to give the oil companies a penny more than I have to, buying the least expensive gas available, and have never suffered a noticeable power loss in anything I've ever run - other than a few highly modified engines I had back in the 60's and 70's that would knock like heck on anything less than 93 octane.

Since then I've learned a very simple rule when it comes to things like this. If you want more power just get a bigger engine....
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 AM
captinjohn

So, old bass...have you tried Puregas. I talked with the owner of the gas station where I buy Puregas too find out who buys it mostly. He said many prople buy it for small 2 cycle powered products. Also many motorcycle owners and boat owners. Some big cyle shops that store cycles for the winter here in Michigan put in all the cycles. It is great storage fuel. It also has a fairly high octane rating. Capt,n
Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 AM
oldbassard

No I haven't tried pure gas, I don't think it's available here. It sounds like it's gasoline without alcohol added
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM
captinjohn

If you are only about 18 miles from Tulsa...there are many places to buy Puregas...look near water. Like lakes & rivers. Good luck & do not worry about it going bad in a good sealed gas container. Capt,n
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Nonsense

Agree TimBle, you and other knowledgeable people have covered this subject many times before ....

But why would anyone want to listen to someone who actually works in the industry? All the many previous threads are well archived and easily accessible with a simple search.

And ........ just exactly what is Purgas? I'm feeling too lazy to look it up!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I go to the closest discount, off-brand gas station to get my gas

Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Nonsense

Agree TimBle, you and other knowledgeable people have covered this subject many times before ....

But why would anyone want to listen to someone who actually works in the industry? All the many previous threads are well archived and easily accessible with a simple search.

And ........ just exactly what is Purgas? I'm feeling too lazy to look it up!
PUREGAS PUREGAS PUREGAS......like in the link in the previous posting. Lazy, I do not think so, you took the effort to type a whole sentence in a reply. You could have (more easy) clicked on the link provided. So what is your motive????

Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Do want you want...I thought the forum was about the BEST gas???

Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

WHERE IS THE DEER EATING POPCORN VIDEO?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 AM
TimBle

Puregas, or any other stabilised gasolines contain very little butane, and a lot of  branched iso-paraffins.
Some companies add stabilising compounds to regular gasoline and call it "long life" or stabilised gasoline. 

I've covered the octane story over and over but at the risk of repeating myself I'll simply state that octane is not power. It is merely a trait of the gasoline that allows a higher activation energy to set it off. It has nothing to do with flame speed or heating value both of which contribute to engine power.

aviation gasoline is stable because it 95% iso-paraffins. These contribute an octane of around 99RON or about AKI of 97. Paraffinic compounds are very stable and don't require much mixing up after blending as long as its stored properly.

Even if you have Ethanol in the gasoline, just store it properly and its good to use even 6 months later. Proper storage requires a good sealed container, relatively constant temperature and humidity. A sealed container in a fridge is ideal......although "keep out of reach of children" would apply here!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

captn, been to the Puregas link before. Didn't go there this time as it doesn't apply to my wants or needs.

Motive? Not sure I have one other than to point out that just about any info that will be brought forth in this thread has been covered many times before. All available with a simple search. Also that people tend to believe what they want to hear rather than what the experts have to say about the matter.

I probably should have just stayed out of this thread but too late now.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Also "oil"
Popcorn
Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 AM
MTK

C'mon W8ye, where's that Panda with the popcorn? Love that guy....... Reminds me of me!

Hey, FWIW, I just answered a post in the "Clubhouse" where the old "Glow VS Gas" is on again. You gotta post the Panda, deer, coon, charlie the tunaand every other critter eating popcorn you can muster
Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
thepamster

I use Texaco 87 octane and as I need it. No need to store it. I have always wondered how old is the higher octane gas as who spends that much for gas for their cars.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11219.gif
Views:	21
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	1880792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53627.gif
Views:	34
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	1880793  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The BESTGAS is the Cheapest?

I thought the panda was about as important as gasoline for a lot of us? In most parts of the USA, gasoline is rather stable when mixed for two cycle operation. It is even argued that premium gasoline makes a engine run hotter if the engine doesn't need premium.

Then again in a few areas gasoline can be unstable trouble. Of particular note is the phase separation problem caused by excessive (>10%) ethanol.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: oldbassard

Hey Gang

A short time ago, I posted about gasoline, specifically leaded 110 octane racing gasoline. One of the members here argued that it's made in bulk and he took a stand with 100LL avation gas.

I talked to a man who has worked the last 30 years in a refinery, about gasoline production. He said ''It's all made in bulk, with all the small aircraft that burn 100LL you see every day, it would never be possible to make it otherwise ''

He also said, whether it is oils, gasolines or what ever petroleum products the products are made by the companies specifications, for instance at the refinery he works at they can motor oile for Penzoil, Quaker State Valvoline and many other oil company names by thier specs, the same goes for gasoline.

Some companies for instance Qiuk Trip has thier own gasoline specs (QT adds alcohol). While other companies don't sell the alcohol supprted gasolines. 100 LL gasoline has it's own specs as does 110 octane racing gasoline and all of it is produced in bulk.

I have read that leaded gasoline is particularly good for two stroke engines because the ''Lead'' lubricates the cylinder and makes the engine run cooler. Well I don't know about that, I can't prove nor disprove it, I do know that I will use the higher content leaded racing fuel in my airplane. I am quite sure the 100 LL is great gasoline but I choose racing gasoline.

What I am told is what we call lead in gasoline isn't lead at all nor does it have anything to do with lead.

Some great advantages that you get with either 100LL or 110 Octane racing gasoline is easier engine starts, better performance and I am told longer engine life.
Hey buddy , save yourself some headaches and just go get regular gas at any gas station and have a good day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.