Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Futaba Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:24 AM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Futaba Warranty

I have a new Futaba radio for training (dont want others using my good transmitter) .... when I received it the throttle would only go half way up and would bind. Called about warranty and was told to send in and the repair rate is $40.00 hr. Really? They were kind enough to email me a drawing of the gimble assembly!
Well... took it apart and the pin had come out tying the up/down to left right assembly together.

Had to repair myself. I have many Futaba radio's.... never a problem... so never called about warranty... IS this their typcal warranty procedures?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32239.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1880974  
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 AM
DougV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Futaba Warranty

How old is the radio? Less than a year you have warranty, more than a year you don't but they are flexible with that.

Doug
Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: DougV

How old is the radio? Less than a year you have warranty, more than a year you don't but they are flexible with that.

Doug
Like h*ll they're flexible on the one year time frame. I had a 9Z WCII (an $1100.00 radio bye the way) that developed a gimbal issue when it was two weeks out of warranty and they wouldn't even look at it without a minimum service charge and shipping both ways. It went to Radio South instead of Hobby Services and that is THE reason I don't fly Futaba radios anymore.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:12 AM
DougV

My experience with them is completely different than yours.

Doug
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderBoat42

I have a new Futaba radio for training (dont want others using my good transmitter) .... when I received it the throttle would only go half way up and would bind. Called about warranty and was told to send in and the repair rate is $40.00 hr. Really? They were kind enough to email me a drawing of the gimble assembly!
Well... took it apart and the pin had come out tying the up/down to left right assembly together.

Had to repair myself. I have many Futaba radio's.... never a problem... so never called about warranty... IS this their typcal warranty procedures?

That is not the norm. You may have talked with someone lacking knowledge or was simply quoting service procedure.

If the radio was under warranty packing it up with a receipt copy would have done the trick. Your cost would be postage to get it there.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Doug
Like h*ll they're flexible on the one year time frame. I had a 9Z WCII (an $1100.00 radio bye the way) that developed a gimbal issue when it was two weeks out of warranty and they wouldn't even look at it without a minimum service charge and shipping both ways. It went to Radio South instead of Hobby Services and that is THE reason I don't fly Futaba radios anymore.
Might be an attitude issue.

I've sent several 9Z WCII's in for service or repair that were well out of warranty along with credit card info to pay. Radios came back each time with no charges, not even shipping and some new parts were installed.

Had same no charge experiences with a 14MZ and 12FG. My only cost was shipping to get them there.

Many locals have had great service experiences with Futaba, warranty and non. All you gotta do is send it in.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 AM
ThunderBoat42

I am still a Futaba user...  and will be ...   hoping it was an isolated case.   Now I did call Futaba in Champain IL.  Thats the number the HS gave me.  

Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I am still a Futaba user... and will be ... hoping it was an isolated case. Now I did call Futaba in Champain IL. Thats the number the HS gave me.

Next time, you might go online and follow their service procedure. They have some forms to fill out and send with the radio. So far, I've had only positive experiences with Hobby Services / Futaba service. Last year I sent in a very expensive heli governor / gyro and clearly indicated it was well out of warranty (was almost 2 years old). They sent a complete new in box assembly back with a hand written note .... all at no charge to me. For the record, I had sent my CC info with the paperwork so they could have charged my anything and within reason, I would not have cared as I just wanted the equipment to work properly.

Over the years, I sent in my 9Z radios several times for check ups and each one came back at minimal charge and in a very timely manner. I've not sent any of my newer Futaba radios for service but hope for similar experiences when the time comes.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Doug
You didn't send it in, so what do you expect them to say in an e-mail or over the phone? You tell them it is a gimbal issue, for all they know you
ran over the gimbal with your truck. Far-fetched? Hardly.
My experiences, and apparently others here, with Hobby Services is that once they actually receive the item,
if it is a reasonable repair, it is done at minimal cost and trouble.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Dick T.

I am still a Futaba user... and will be ... hoping it was an isolated case. Now I did call Futaba in Champain IL. Thats the number the HS gave me.

I have had good service by using the online forms and shipping it off without telephoning in as getting through to a technician is time consuming.

Occasionally I have emailed Krysta or Bax via the Futaba Forum here on RCU with service questions. Much faster response and very knowledgable.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:33 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Over the years, I sent in my 9Z radios several times for check ups and each one came back at minimal charge and in a very timely manner. I've not sent any of my newer Futaba radios for service but hope for similar experiences when the time comes.
Well on those rare occasions when either my JR radios or the Spektrums have needed to go back to Horizon, there's never been any charge for anything except the DSMX upgrade, there are never questioning issues, my DX8 came back with a free rx after an update it needed and you only pay shipping one way.

I've dealt with Hobby Services on more than one occasion and have no reason to ever consider that option or products who's warranty service is provided by them, and that's not even mentioning what it takes to get someone who is actually knowledgeable about the product on the phone.

Attitude? you better believe it. When you fork over that kind of money (and being a 9Z you know this was a while back when $1100.00 was harder to come by than now) for an item and it has an issue only two weeks out of warrantee, you'd think some kind of consideration would be involved in getting it repaired.

Nope, Radio South has Hobby Services beat six ways to breakfast for radio service work. Oh one other thing; Futaba radios are only warranteed for one year, JR radios are warranteed for three years. What does that say about which manufacturer has more confidence in their product?

Now all you orange T-Shirt guys can have at it, I'm done.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 AM
ThunderBoat42

Zeeb, those points were made by a couple of people at the field yesterday. It is a divided opinion/loyalty that was also exhibited at the field yesterday.
I am happy with my current Futaba radio's but I can't ignore the Stectrum DX8 which I am considering heavily to give a try. No, I dont want to bash either quality mfg. No, I dont want to complain. Yes, I was surprised at the response I received. Like I said, if I were new to the hobby/sport... it would have been dishearteneing and a rocky start to a fantastic/fun sport.

I fixed it myself and used the radio yesterday without incident. Will that "molded in" pin pull out again? possibly. Being it's on the throttle... the negative impact is less. If it pulls out and wedges the rudder full deflection... well, that will be a test of cross slip flying and landing I guess (or worse). should that part be replaced? Considering it involves an 8lb nitro powered plane moving through the air that could hurt someone... yes. Even though it is being used in a slower moving less expensive trainer - safety always applies as priority

Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Silent-AV8R

Nope, Radio South has Hobby Services beat six ways to breakfast for radio service work. Oh one other thing; Futaba radios are only warranteed for one year, JR radios are warranteed for three years. What does that say about which manufacturer has more confidence in their product?

Kia has a 10-year 100,000-mile warranty. Lexus has a 3-year 36,000-mile warranty. Kia uses the longer warranty to induce people to buy their cars, not because they think it is a superior product.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:34 PM
DougV

Funny that when you don't agree with someone you right away are tagged as an orange T-shirt person.

By the way, I don't have one. I'm not a team pilot (nor want to be one) and I fly what works for me. I flew JR for many years, I flew Spektrum for two, I fly Futaba now and it has been rock solid for me.

Doug
Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny that when you don't agree with someone you right away are tagged as an orange T-shirt person.

By the way, I don't have one. I'm not a team pilot (nor want to be one) and I fly what works for me. I flew JR for many years, I flew Spektrum for two, I fly Futaba now and it has been rock solid for me.

Doug
I flew Futaba for 29 years and then moved to JR and Spektrum for 2.4. No issues.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
ThunderBoat42

This thread was really to find out if my experience with the Futaba warranty (or lack of) was typical... or unique.  i am guessing it was unique based on the post.  I was just a lucky guy LOL.  

I will have a Spektrum radio but mainly because I want a BNF Beast that is just too cool for the back yard after work.  So eventually I will have the opportunity to compare...  until then... I am not taking sides.  

I am disappointed in the warranty and their (a) lack of interest and (b) accessibility to get anyone.  I'm a little old fashion maybe.... I like a talk to a real person.