Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Racing Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM
xNitroAddictx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Engines

Hello, On friday i shall be ordering the xray mp9 for my racing buggy project.
I wanted to know what would be the best engine to drop in it?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:36 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Racing Engines

A "clocked" Novarossi Bonito. ;-) Doubt you would go wrong with that. BUT....what is your specific price range for an engine/pipe?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM
xNitroAddictx

hmm, well lets try to keep it around 400$
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
xNitroAddictx

I found the engine, holy s*** 470$?!?! i guess its time to start saving!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Bonito is one of the best engines you can get, but having the most powerful engine will not help you win a race (in fact it may make things more difficult for you). At this point in your career, you need an engine that is easy to tune, and makes its power in the right rev range for the type of track you are running on (low down for technical tracks, screaming high end for wide open tracks). One of the best bang for buck engines is the stock Novarossi P5. You should be all done for $300 including a pipe and its a very fine engine. If you really get bitten by the racing bug and eventually feel that more speed would lower your lap times, you can move the P5 on for a second hand price, as they are always popular, and go for a clocked Bonito or something mad. I honestly don't believe you will get your money's worth out of a $500 engine at this stage in your racing career.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:20 AM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: Foxy

The Bonito is one of the best engines you can get, but having the most powerful engine will not help you win a race (in fact it may make things more difficult for you). At this point in your career, you need an engine that is easy to tune, and makes its power in the right rev range for the type of track you are running on (low down for technical tracks, screaming high end for wide open tracks). One of the best bang for buck engines is the stock Novarossi P5. You should be all done for $300 including a pipe and its a very fine engine. If you really get bitten by the racing bug and eventually feel that more speed would lower your lap times, you can move the P5 on for a second hand price, as they are always popular, and go for a clocked Bonito or something mad. I honestly don't believe you will get your money's worth out of a $500 engine at this stage in your racing career.
Foxy nailed it on the head there, it may sound weird but with racing, slow is fast, your fastest lap time is going to be the lap you do not crash, taking yojr time getting used to the track will increase your times.

The P5 is a great engine as well, the performance is great out of the box, I own one, and its plenty even for a bigger track, less run up time to clear jumps.

On the other hand, a clocked engine may be easier to drive given the smoother power band. No body is trying to talk you out of anything, just trying to point you in the right direction.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 AM
xNitroAddictx

Yes i understand y'all arent trying to talk me out of it. Like i asked for y'alls opinion right?
And yes 240$ is more like it, so what pipe should i throw on that bad boy?
And also how long does a turbo glow plug last? Alot longer then a regular glow plug?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 AM
xNitroAddictx

Gonna get this engine probably for my xray:http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-PlugWhat top speed do you think i could get with this properly tuned?
and i also need a new engine for my jato 3.3 was thinking this:http://maxvelocityracing.com/novaros...i-s21p3xs.html
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry about top speed, you will need to gear so that you are nicely balanced in terms of acceleration and top speed on the main straight of the track you will be running on.

For reference it will probably do about 35-40mph with a 13t-14t clutch bell.

That .21 will be too big for the Jato unless you buy a big block adapter kit or are handy with a dremel and a tap. I suggest the OS .18tz as an alternative. Killer outlaw 1/10th engine. Make sure you buy the right version, with the exhaust port where it needs to be and the right kind of carb (slide/rotary).
Old 04-26-2013, 03:53 PM
rccheech

For the pipe, I would use a 41001 header with a 9901 pipe.

The turbo glow plugs last alot longer than the standard. More expensive as well.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good choice of engine. My Bonito comment was tongue-in-cheek....but you asked about "the best". If the RC-fairy brought me an engine....that is what I would want.Ha!

As noted in another post, save some of your budget for after you start driving it. That is when you can focus on improving any weak areas of the setup ;-)
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you can't beat the standard OS 21XZB blue head racing engine! when you look at the specs of the speed version and the blue head there is only 1/10 of horsepower gain and maybe a little torgue and acceleration I have one in my Jammin X1CR and it just has oddles and oddles of power in fact I was running against a hot shot dude with one of his hopped up engines the other day and I kept catching him and running away quite easley from him. I cant see spending 500 bucks or more for a speed or hopped up version of some engine when the stock racing engine will do for me! In fact a while back I had a conversation with a car guy at the LHS and he told me that he put an OS SPEED in his RC8 and was racing at a local track. He was running pretty good when his car just stopped running in the middle of the track. He said the engine was running perfect but upon further inspection he found that the center diff had blown up! You could say it was the engine or it was the guys maintenance of his car that cause this to happen.